Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to join the Navy once I get to my goal weight. Does anyone know if they will accept me? I called the recruiter and he was not sure. He said it depends on MEPS. Is anyone out there who had lap band surgery and joined the NAVY?

im personally looking into joining the marines after i reach my goal weight.

good luck to you!

Hey! I'm an RN and have always considered working as a nurse in the military. I looked into this a year or 2 ago when I realized I was going to get the lapband in the future. From what I read and researched on the internet, it automatically disqualifies you from enlisting. Part of the problem from what I read is that it lumps gastric bypass and lapband together. Hopefully in the coming years there will be more literature and evidence showing that those with lapband could join some parts of the military.

If anyone else has heard differently, I'd love to know! Especially any other nurses out there, since we start at officer training and bypass the general bootcamp.

I don't think you can enlist, the band requires adjustments and medical attention that the military corspman may not be able to handle if deployed.....Here is a site that may help: It lists disqualifying medical conditions.....it is a older list and I didn't see it on there but there is one section on foreign objects in body

- Joining the Military - Military.com

Thats a big ol NOPE. They are quite specific on the people they sign up. The lapbad is an auto NO~ You can do lots of other things though. Good luck!

OR...if you REALLY want a career in the military, you can have it removed and then join up. You do have to keep a healthy wait, though, to remain "in". At least, you used to when DH was in.

I wonder if there's a difference b/t branches and also b/t officer v. enlisted. I've thought I've read its easier if you want to be a chaplain or JAG. I'm going to try out for the AF JAG program - I've read people who are getting waivers for knee surgery and being practically legally blind. Plus, the military is now offering to pay for lapband to some of its members - do a google search. You'd think w/2 wars they'd let people in.

My hubby is AF (a cop) and one of our friends just became a recruiter in the Air FOrce...they do not take anyone (even with waivers) that have had WLS,including Lap Band patients...sorry.

So any new news on the lap band and the Military. Come on lets do this.

I'd be surprised if they did since, as someone said previously, it requires care that may not be available in the field. Beyond the fills, it's possible for the stitches to come loose and the port to flip or the band itself could slip. You could lose the weight and have the band removed but this is risky since statistics show that when people have the band removed, they regain their weight. Heck, just look at the people who lose restriction and don't keep up on their fills. They regain their weight as well.

Then again, once you're in the military, they'll keep the weight off you...maybe. They don't give the wink:wink:nod to even officers being overweight now. Many of my family are career military (sort of a family 'profession') and the military has been cracking down on the fat officers and enlistees. My uncle is a major in the army. He was 40 pounds overweight and they gave him a year to lose the weight or they said they'd discharge him. My son has been in the army for 5 years and is going into officer's training school in May. I know that since he joined, his regiment (like all of them) has a monthly PT test where they are measured and weighed and BMI calculated. They can only flunk their PT test a couple times and then they are discharged.

There is no need to have surgery if you plan on joining the military. Trust me, they will take the extra pounds off of you in boot camp whether you like it or not!

I wonder if there's a difference b/t branches and also b/t officer v. enlisted. I've thought I've read its easier if you want to be a chaplain or JAG. I'm going to try out for the AF JAG program - I've read people who are getting waivers for knee surgery and being practically legally blind. Plus, the military is now offering to pay for LAP-BAND® to some of its members - do a google search. You'd think w/2 wars they'd let people in.

Hi Mangofish...

I am a twenty year veteran of the Army, enlisted and officer and have worked in recruiting command.. in fact, my PhD is in ethics in recruiting ...

The bottomline... no one on active duty is allowed to get this surgery. It is an absolute... no waivers...dependents of active duty personnel can get it if they meet the specfic criteria....

Currently with recruiting not being difficult (i.e. down economy) they are waivering very, very little.

My suggestions are as follows:

1. lose the weight for you and get into good fighting shape

2. apply, you will never know if you don't apply

3. apply to all services

4. if/when you are denied.. see if you can get a waiver...

5. ask the question to the docs at the MEPS... if you get the band removed can you join...if you show you are in good health (there may be a waiting period)

Much like a diabetic... eating restrictions are required.. an average meal for a soldier fighting in combat conditions is about 3000 calories....you cannot do that with a lapband...

Yes I agree... there should be a way to serve but unfortunately.. I haven't been able to write the rules:):w00t:

Now.. there are ways for you to serve in a selfless manner without being in the military...

You could check out the National Guard... some states have a volunteer force like Georgia that has you serve only the state you live in. You could work in civil service...

If your only goal is to be a soldier.. you may not get it... but if your goal is to be in selfless service.. there is a LOT you can do...

Hang in there.. you never know.. and if they say no today, maybe when recruiting gets tougher they will say yes...

I hope that this helps...

Jennifer (Major (retired) Army)

There is no need to have surgery if you plan on joining the military. Trust me, they will take the extra pounds off of you in boot camp whether you like it or not!

That's no joke. My son was 50 pounds over the top weight allowed when he joined the army, but they took him because they wanted him so badly. With the restriction that he would be discharged if he didn't drop the 50 lbs by the end of his schooling (6 months after basic).

He did but it was because he had to do PT twice a day instead of once, but he also worked out on his own because he was so determined. He overheard one of his superiors telling another that he didn't believe my son could do it because the fact that he was 50 pounds overweight showed how 'lazy' he was...that he lacked the 'spine' to follow through. Tell him he can't and he gets his back up. Now 5 years later he's still trim and in shape and, best of all, has discovered that he loves rock climbing, snow boarding and other very physical activities. The military is the best thing that ever happened to him.

Isn't there an age limit to join too? I thought it was 27 or something? That may be a very old rule. I know very little about military rules even though I grew up in a town with 5 military bases.

Isn't there an age limit to join too? I thought it was 27 or something? That may be a very old rule. I know very little about military rules even though I grew up in a town with 5 military bases.

The age limit when I was in basic training in 1982 was 36 but that was a long time ago. Jen will definitely know if she comes back by this way.