Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal weights

I have only told a few people that I am losing weight with the band. I am still worried it won't be permanent like so many of my other attempts ( I know this is different, I am thankful).

I was being massage when the person asked how much I had lost, you know all the personal info you hate to share. I told him the whole truth and how much more I planned to lose. He let out a low sigh and said I would be all bones then.

So it got me thinking, how important is it to be 24.5 BMI v/s something that you feel health at and looks good on you? I am a very tall big bones woman, so it really has me thinking.

I was told anywhere from 180 down to 150 for my height (5'9). Have any of you thought about it? I have never been a normal weight, so I can't picture when I will be.

So if you have been a normal size ( which I would say would be a size 8 to 10) gained ...............now losing again what do you think?

C

BK, I have been a normal size (9) before, but I had very unhealthy eating habits and did horrible things to my body to try to stay that size. Therefore, I feel that I had a very skewed outlook of what looked appropriate and what did not. While my wasband (ex) was telling me to lose more weight, others were telling me I was fine or too thin. I am 5'7" and my weight was between 120 and 130.

My goal this time is to get to 150. I'm going to evaluate once I get there, because in my mind, I would love to get back to 130. I feel I have a much better perspective this time around. I'm much healthier now -- body and mind. :blink:

PS -- When I look back at pictures from when I was 118-120, and I think, OMG, I can't believe I was SO thin! When I was around 130, I think I looked better. That's what I feel nowadays looking back.

Edited by SpideyMom
Add PS

yes, I used to be a size 7/9 for years! I gained weight during my pregnancy, then lost most of it, but gained it back again quickly and then some! I know what I used to look like when I was 115 (I'm 5'2, so 120 is recommended for my height), but i worry that even if I get close to that weight, I won't quite look like I want to-- my skin, etc. It's funny how I used to THINK I was overweight when I was actually a decent size/weight. . . If I had only realized!!!

I'm 5ft 10 and 150 and a size 8 to 10 and I wouldnt have been happy to stop at a higher size.

As it is, I'm still a "big" girl. I'm taller than most women, I'm not petite and tiny and whilst a tall body can hide weight to some degree, I never felt feminine. To me being big and carrying any extra weight made me feel like a footballer. I'd like to be thinner than I am becuase I feel that smaller women with higher BMI's still look more "feminine" than I do.

Plus, in Australian clothing sizes and 8 to 10 is a 12 to 14 which is STILL too big for a lot of clothing labels.

But to my way of thinking nobody could call me "all bones". I am simply not that thin. I tend to be pear shaped, so you can see bones on my chest, and my collarbones are very sharp, but again, that's NORMAL. People are so used to everyone being fat that they think that's anorexic. Now, if you can see pelvic bones and jutting hip bones, that's thin and I definitely dont have that. I am well covered, still curvy but not overweight. My BMI is 22. I dont have a body type that carries extra weight in a curvy way, I'm tall and willowy and just get flabby very very quickly.

but it is very dependent on your own personal taste, I would find 180 at 5ft 10 rather chunky and big and wouldnt find it that attractive in a woman, I think thin, smalll breasted and elegant is attractive. That doesnt mean it IS, just my personal taste, I also cant imagine why in the world you'd want your DD cup breasts to stay that big or think that lots of make up looks good, all stuff that the next person would disagree with.. But I dont like thin men! I dont like really muscled men either, men who look like they care about their appearance too much turn me off completely. I like men that are a bit older, a bit scruffy and just a bit cuddly. So there's no rhyme or reason to it, its different for everyone.

Edited by Jachut

My goal is 127lbs. I've been that weight twice in my adult life. That is where I am most comfortable. For my height 4'11 1/2 it is perfect. clothing size wise, that puts me between an 8 and a 10. I'm Bottom heavy. I have a huge behind and thanks to genetics (in my family we call it the Ruben ass, after my great grandmother) and big thighs. When I was little I was very active, I did gymnastics and played soccer, so that left my legs muscular, so I will never have slender legs. When I say an 8 or a 10 it's because I have to compensate for the extra skin that sags in my belly area. My pregnancy with my son destroyed my body, My stomach muscles seperated and left me with the "bottom pouch". When pigs fly or I win the lotto (whichever comes first) I intend to Have a Tummy Tuck. Not for vanity purposes, but because it is absolutly neccessary in order for me to look "Normal". It's something that I'm completely embarrassed about. 3 years ago when I was fitting into an 8, it was very prominent, and screamed to the world HEY SHE USED TO BE FAT! and that insecurity I believe encouraged me to gain the weight back. for the past few weeks, I haven't gained, I haven't lost a lb, but I'm losing inches, and was extremely discouraged when I had to exchange a pair of size 12 jeans for a 14 because of the "Bottom Pouch", I couldn't button them because of it. I guess this is the reality of this surgery. We'll all "lose" but some of us just can't win.....:biggrin:

From what I have learned this journey is more than about those silly numbers on the scale. First of all its about Well-being and second dealing with the actual problems that got us all there in the first place. If you only focus on those numebrs your going to miss out on a much larger portion of the journey and that is seriously a journey into Well-being. Learning a new way to take care of yourself that only serves your highest good.

Granted you can have the surgery and not partipate much but I gurantee not much will happen.

I only lost 21 pounds my first year, I was so frustrated I wanted to give up but then I opened my eyes and realized..I am off my BP meds, I feel better, I am not being strangled by my Ginormous tits! My clothing size is smaller, sex is better, I can run and exercise regulary. This is happiness. What more can I ask for? My body is going to do whatever its going to do in response to what I put into it. Weight loss is a a cause and effect business period.

I only lost 21 pounds my first year, I was so frustrated I wanted to give up but then I opened my eyes and realized..I am off my BP meds, I feel better, I am not being strangled by my Ginormous tits! My clothing size is smaller, sex is better, I can run and exercise regulary. This is happiness. What more can I ask for?

You're right, Lana, this is what we should be focusing on -- our health and well being. Thanks for the reminder. I know I need it from time to time when I get too caught up in the numbers game! :smile2:

You're right, Lana, this is what we should be focusing on -- our health and well being. Thanks for the reminder. I know I need it from time to time when I get too caught up in the numbers game! :thumbup:

Realization: :smile2: Another wonderful aspect of the band. This journey really has blown my mind.

My first goal is to get under 200. Ideally I would get down to about 160. I am tall and have large bones at 150 I wore a size 8 so I'm hoping that I will be a 10 though I would be satisfied with a 12.