Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What weight loss??

UGHH...Im totally frustrated. I got banded on August 11th and I have only lost 7 pounds. I dont know what I am doing wrong. When I eat its very hard for me to tell when I am full and most of the time I end up eating too much. I have noticed that I do not stay full in between meals and its hard for me to regulate the Fluid intake before and after meals.

I try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, but nothing seems to help. My doctor said there was only residual in my band, however I go for my first fill in 3 days. Are my problems i am experiencing because I have no fluid in my band? Will it get easier after my fill?? Im so frustrated right now, like I was before I got the band. Anyone have any ideas?? Please help!!

Thanks, Tamm

First of all, 7 pounds is great. Your body just went through a major trauma, and is focusing most of its energy on recovering from surgery so any weight loss is a bonus. Second, without proper restriction the band will only do so much. The band works best when there is proper restriction.

Just make sure you are eating the right type of foods, trying to make smarter choices about portions, and exercising - if so, then you are doing your part and it's just a matter of waiting for your fill to get restriction.

I was banded 7/24 and experiencing the same as you. I have not had my first fill yet either and at the suggestion of my dr will not happen till after I return from vacation. You've done great with your weightloss.

Tamm, if you've read many posts here, you've seen the phrase "Bandster Hell"....and that is exactly where you are. Yes, it sucks. But if you had surgery on 8/11, you are barely on real food (IF your doc has advanced you through mushies). Lots of us lost nothing in the 4-6 weeks after surgery before we got our first fills. I personally gained and lost the same 4 pounds.

When I was advanced to real food, I was told to eat on my plan ... 3 oz of Protein, steamed vegetable, serving of whole grain carbs. No drinking immediately before, during the meal and for 30 minutes after. And, I was told that if I got hungry in less than 4 hours, to snack only on solid Protein. Low fat cottage cheese, low fat cheese, a boiled egg, and similar stuff.

Remember each fill will take you closer to your sweet spot, but continue to eat the same way.

And, yeah, there's that exercise business. I get up at 5:00 every morning and walk/run 4 miles. On Saturday and Sunday, I don't get up at 5:00 but I get up and do my 4 miles before I do anything else. It was hard at first but it does become a habit, a routine.

I was in the same boat. I was banded on 07/28 and had only lost 5 or 6 lbs post op.

Anyway, I got a fill on 08/30 and am on liquids for 7 days :frown: . . . but there is a positive! I have dropped 7 lbs in 4 days. Hang in there, soon you will get on the scale and see it going down down down

Hang in there, it can be very tough!! I was banded 06/01/09 and have had 4 fills, finally on August 26th i got my 4th fill and i now have some restriction. My band is a 9 cc band and it has 6 cc's in it. I researched this surgery alot, but still missed the section where it said that it could take months to get the fill to a position where i would have some restriction. So i guess my point is hang in there, it will get better you just have to be patient and try really hard to not over eat. And yes i know, if you could stop overeating you wouldn't have needed this surgery. It just takes alot of patience. GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!!!!!

I was the same. I was banded in April of this year. Until 2 weeks ago I felt almost no restriction. Now I think I'm getting close, I need one more fill I think. PATIENCE is the key to this. I have to warn you, if you were anything like me it could be months, But it does work, you just have to be patient. Hang in there!

I was banded on August 11 also and I have lost only 5 lbs. So you are doing better then I am! I can definitely tell I have the band there if I don't chew my food good enough.. but I still seem to be able to eat as much as I please.... I will not get a fill until the middle of September as I am going to Europe on vacation for two weeks. I am trying to not get down on myself and to just remember that I need to get that first fill!

Linda

We'll, I was banded on May 26th 2009 and just got my 2nd fill. I felt no restriction before this 2nd fill, I didn't loose any weight for 6 weeks...just sorta stayed where I was. I got really frustrated. I could eat the same amount of food I was eating before getting the band. But now, I got my 2nd fill, I am at 2 cc's in my 10cc band, I I can feel some restriction. I think w/ 2 or 3 more fills and I might be at my sweet spot. Just be patient and make sure you go back to the doctor for your fills.

I just wanted to say congratulations to all of you for losing weight. 7 pounds! I am 2 years out and if I lose 2 pounds in a month I am doing a happy dance. (I'll even do the happy cha-cha for one pound.) This is just the start of a wonderful journey.

I was banded July 31 and can eat 1-2 cups of food at a meal. I lost 50 pounds before surgery, stalled for a week or so, then started losing better when I got to mushies and solids. I've now dropped almost 62 pounds. I haven't had a fill yet, and it doesn't feel like I have much restriction. I have found I can't eat rice because it gets stuck, and I have to chew meat thoroughly to get it down. I've made sure I have a lot of Protein. I averaged 60g while on liquids and now I get close to 100g, but my calories are under 1,000. Seems the more I eat, the faster I lose. Maybe you need to increase your Protein.

Good luck! :blink:

I was banded July 24th and to date have lost 5 lbs. Not much considering I have at least 60 to go, but you know what, I will take it! I too have little to no restriction. I just got my first fill 3cc. on Tuesday. Still no change. I wanted to lose at least 20 lbs by my daughters wedding (oct 3) ain't gonna happen:unsure: but I do believe it will. It may take a year or two but I am just thrilled to have hope today. And I too am struggling with eating right and exercising more. So I have habits to build, work on, etc. We WILL succeed. We already are just by taking this first huge step (wls). and a year from now, I suspect we will feel and look quite different, as long as we do not give up. Hold onto hope today. Hugs, Dyanna:wub:

Until you start getting fills you do not have very much restriction. If fact, you will probably be able to eat more than you think. This is normal. When I was in this stage I worked very hard to restrict my intake to a cup of food or less per meal. This helped, but was not easy. As you get fills you will start seeing the benefits.

When you are feeling hungry try drinking Water until your next meal and see if that helps. The weight will start coming off. Remember this is a tool. You have to use the tool for it to work. Make smart food choices and eat healthy. That change can be made. I was the Queen of carbs. I have been there too, but it can be done.

Good luck to you all, I know you can do it.

Michelle

Starting Weight 284

Surgery date 03/12/2009

Current weight 194

Working towards the magic 100 pound mark.

Well I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement. It really helps to know that I am not the only one who is going thru this transition phase in life. I did just get my first fill an I really do feel a difference, however I do notice that I sometimes get hungry between meals, so I get into the "snacking" when I shouldn't. I am sticking with my exercise routine of at least 30 minutes a day and my doctor said I really need to increase my Protein. So hopefully this fill will change things a little bit and give me a little "pick me up".

Does anyone have issues with their weight fluctuating dramatically from day to day?? I have noticed that mine can change 5 pounds eathier heavier or lighter. I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but I cant resist! Should I just put the scale away...out of sight out of mind??

Again..thanks for all your positive imput!

Tamm