Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band rules you consistently 'break'?

I occasionally sip something with my meal. I would say about 90% of the time I don't. I find it really easy to not have anything to drink with Breakfast or lunch. dinner, sometimes I drink. Not much - I've never been a big drinker in general.

I've had some carbonated stuff here and there, sips. Mostly it's been in summer heat when that was what we had, like at Six Flags or the ball park. I'm not a soda person so it's truly an exception.

And I've had a few drinks (libations) a couple of times. I will again on Friday too, probably nursing 1 or 2 beers over the course of the whole evening and drinking Water in between.

I'm eating WELL and exercising like a mo-fo. I don't feel like I'm putting anything at risk by having a drink of diet soda or a few sips of Water at a business dinner.< /p>

I do have bread occasionally too, very small and well chewed bites. I tolerate it well. That's not really breaking the rules, though...

Let me start by saying that I wake up each morning and go to bed every night thanking God and family for my new lease on life! I was banded on 6/8/09 and have lost nearly 50lbs. The band has completely changed my opinion of food. food is no longer my enemy. When I was going through the pre-band process, I was told by my surgeon, his nutritionist, his surgical nurse, and his fill nurse to NOT think of the band in 2 ways: 1) as a miracle cure and 2) as a diet. They told me to follow the post op diet closely so my body could heal properly. After 4 weeks of the post-op diet, I was told to try small amounts of different foods that were nutritionally sound to see what I could tolerate. If I could tolerate it, eat it in moderation. I was told to eat until I felt full/satisfied (not stuffed to the gills) and to eat only when I felt hungry. Most importantly, I was told that although the band is a life-altering commitment, I shouldn't obsess about it. I feel that this is what has made me successful so far. :)

When people ask me about my band and my weightloss, one of two questions always arises... "Don't you feel deprived only being able to eat so little?" or "Isn't it really difficult to follow such a strict eating plan?" I simply tell them that although this weightloss journey hasn't been a piece of cake (sorry about the bad pun), I would do it again in a heartbeat because it is a commitment and NOT a diet. :biggrin:

Im not eating solid foods yet, but does your food get stuck when its going down dry? I have been following the band rules so far and have lost about 25 lbs in 4 weeks. But I know that eating and drinking at the same time is not allowed.

Quick question.. what is the deal with no straws? I guess my doc never covered that with me.. I remember I wasn't supposed to use them in the hospital but didn't know if that was a temporary thing or what. I haven't used any since my surgery a few weeks ago but I'm curious what it's all about.

Quick question.. what is the deal with no straws? I guess my doc never covered that with me.. I remember I wasn't supposed to use them in the hospital but didn't know if that was a temporary thing or what. I haven't used any since my surgery a few weeks ago but I'm curious what it's all about.

Using a straw can mean you swallow more air (ie the air in the straw) and that can exacerbate gas.

I avoided them immediately post op because the last thing I wanted was anything that might even HINT at more gas. However once healed, I've started using again. I have gum disease and straws are almost a necessity, not a luxury.

My doc doesn't ban them anyway.

I break a lot of them too... Soda doesn't bother me, although I don't drink it much. I always drink with meals too... I can't help it. I can't drink a lot, but I do. Prior to surgery, I would seriously drink 3-4 glasses of Water with meals easily and it's just a habit I haven't let go of completely...

Thought I should go back and check my book to see what the rules are:-

1.Eat 3 or less small meals per day. - I break this all the time but my surgeon when I asked him said that it was OK to have a snack as it can be really hard to go for 6 hrs or more without food.

2.Do not eat anything between meals - seems to be a repeat of number 1!

3.Eat slowly and stop when no longer hungry.

4. Focus on nutritious foods.

5.Avoid calorie - containing liquids

6.exercise for at least 30 minutes every day - still working on that one!

7.Be active throughout each day

8.Always keep in contact with us.

Just checked and this book was written by Prof Paul O Brien in 2007. Not my surgeon (Jachut's).

So no I am not breaking any rules!

I actually just ate a slice of sourdough raisin toast and had a cup of tea at the same time.Shock, horror LOL. Not normally what I would do but I got home from a long day at work thirsty and hungry.Yes the food won't stay in the pouch for as long but it will still get to the other part of my stomach and I am sure that will still help.

As some people have already mentioned this is not a diet its a lifestyle change.I firmly believe that what you do 90% of the time is what is most important. If foods are banned then you are more likely to crave them. If all foods are allowed then you are more likely to only consume them in moderation.

Thank you so much for your post. I thought this website was for us to come together, and ask questions of one another or vent or just get support from others who are going thru the same things. If it was as easy as some people make it seem than I believe we would not need the surgery at all. I have found that some people are so judgmental and quick to say what we should be doing.

I had my surgery 03/30/09 and I have lost 45 pounds and I am looking forward to reaching my goal of 40 more before my year anniversary. I am far from perfect but I am doing what works for me. (Counting calories) I have not eaten bread because I tried and it got suck. I have not drinking any type of soda it hurts to bad. I have learned not to drink while eating because things seem to come back up. And the snacking I am still working on, but at least I am aware of it and snack healthier than I use too. In other words I am a trail by error type of person. I am doing what works for me. And I believe that is what we all should be doing and as long as we are getting the results we are trying to achieve than the surgery was worth it.

What works for you may not work for me but if we are getting healthy and loosening weight then we are getting closer to our goals.:):biggrin::party:

Well, think of it this way.

None of the rules that you guys have are rules here in Australia.

The clinic I attend has several surgeons all working under Prof. O'Brien who is one of the band's pioneers (with a team of others). Who would know more than him, right? And they've been doing the band a lot longer in Australia than they have in the US.

My doc laughs at the carbonation rule, says its ridiculous. That if it makes you feel bloated, avoid it, but otherwise, moderation in all things. They also dont recommend Protein first, a lower carb diet etc. They recommend a healthy well rounded diet that includes good carbs. Caffeine isnt banned. Nor is snacking, if you're a grazer, go with that plan, if not, stick to your meals. The half cup serve isnt the holy grail of banded existence, the plan is to eat what satisfies you and if you're still losing weight, then it doesnt matter if that's 2 cups, if you're not losing weight, time for a fill to reduce portion sizes a bit more.

Drinking with meals is not recommended, for the reason that it flushes through food. That's about the only "rule" we have in common.

So where do all these rules you guys have come from? Certainly not from the originators of the band.

My big one is the drinking while I am eating... I have been drinking when I eat my whole life... so I try to be really aware of it and if I do drink, I try to take small sips instead of gulping...

I try really hard to follow them all, though the drinking before meals is really hard (since I put drinks away during meals it's still such a habit I reach for it - luckily it's not there till after the 30 min. post). But I often forget to drink all day, so esp. if eating out I do drink Water before the meal.

I also eat "real" items rather than all no-fat low fat things (like cheese, etc.).

this whole journey is about trial and error.. from your fills to finding out what you can and can't eat... I am still learning.. I was banded on May 19, 2009. I have tried english muffins, they go down fine, but generally stick to wraps because I am still afraid that a piece of bread will get stuck... the consistancy of the english muffin is different then a slice of bread... so I think that's why I tried and did ok... after my 2nd fill, I made the mistake of having sushi too soon after the fill and they wound up taking out 1/2 CC because I felt like I was too tight because I could only eat a few bites of solids before it got stuck and came back up but I think the rice was stuck in the pouch, so taking some Fluid out allowed it to pass through... but now I don't have much restriction... can't wait for my next fill on the 9th...

Just keep trying new things and see what works for you.. this is not an exact science by any means.. what one person is able to tolerate, another may not be able to.

Good luck to everyone!!

Thank you so much for your post. I thought this website was for us to come together, and ask questions of one another or vent or just get support from others who are going thru the same things. If it was as easy as some people make it seem than I believe we would not need the surgery at all. I have found that some people are so judgmental and quick to say what we should be doing.

I had my surgery 03/30/09 and I have lost 45 pounds and I am looking forward to reaching my goal of 40 more before my year anniversary. I am far from perfect but I am doing what works for me. (Counting calories) I have not eaten bread because I tried and it got suck. I have not drinking any type of soda it hurts to bad. I have learned not to drink while eating because things seem to come back up. And the snacking I am still working on, but at least I am aware of it and snack healthier than I use too. In other words I am a trail by error type of person. I am doing what works for me. And I believe that is what we all should be doing and as long as we are getting the results we are trying to achieve than the surgery was worth it.

What works for you may not work for me but if we are getting healthy and loosening weight then we are getting closer to our goals.:frown::P:blink:

somtimes im thirsty and stavin at the same time so I drink something then wait maybe 15 min to eat..sometimes i take a sip while eating. It doesnt harm me but its not something I do on purpose. Sometimes I jus feel like I NEED to drink! but I get better each day. Today I did great. I had dinner and waited a whole hour and then drank Water :thumbup:

One I really need to work on and it seems like I'm not alone is that not drinking while eating...I also sip small sips but sip none the less I really think of it as more or less clensing my mouth I kinda take a little baby sip swish it around and swallow it but really is it that much different that little amount of Water to the liquid that is in the food I'm eating. I guess I don't think it's my major vice. I've done worse and played bariatric russian roulette and tried to eat something that I knew in my head would not go down by my taste buds were like "oh yeah you'll be fine!" and I end up in the bathroom introducing myself to the toilet of whatever resturant I happen to be at. I did just find out that I've been to tight for about 3 weeks and thats when the majority of these bathroom episodes happened so hopefully this fixes it but I have a think about eating stuff that I have thrown up before so at least that'll keep my away from bad foods that prob shouldn't be going in in the first place. I agree with most here it dieting and following rules was so easy for us we'd all be heathly and skinny from the first diet we ever tried. Clearly we are all different and as long as we are losing AND are healthy I think that we are all freaking AWESOME and one step closer to meeting our PERSONAL goals not necessarly someone elses. right now I'm pretty happy with my body I quit checking the scale and know I"m still losing because of my clothes which makes me feel 10x better than what a scale tells me! Okay I'm rambling Good Luck All!!!:blushing:

My major "rule breaker" is eating with meals and drinking soda. I am addicted to Diet Mnt. Dew.....I'm a nursing student, I go to class, clinicals, work, and then try to study then I have to get up the next moring and do it all over again, so I am def addicted to the caffeine and I hate coffee!!

My major "rule breaker" is eating with meals

I think most of us are guilty of that. i may have had liquid meals when i was younger but those days are long past. LOL

Melinda_205:

Get rid of the Dt Mtn Dew. It is carbonated. It will stretch your pouch and you'll have slippage. If you have to have caffeine, drink Tea.