Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I know i am not supposed to have coffee fro a very long time after this.. but I need it.. so i made a cup of Decaf and diluted it.. it's not good... when can i have me beloved coffee back????

yes, I know i am only 4 days post-op, but man i don't want to eat.... just give me coffee.....

LOL... Oh goodness. I had coffee 4 days post op. I'm a nurse, and I work with the doc who banded me so he knew that I'm evil without it:) haha. Just ask your doc, a cup a day shouldn't be such a big deal as long as you are getting your fluids in.

I stopped all caffeine prior to surgery but now I drink a cup of coffee when I need to. It really wont hurt you, but do it in moderation.

I drink 2 cups a day of coffee. I was never told not to. I gave up my diet coke I am keeping the coffee.

You should be fine to have a cup of coffee, I was given a cup 2 days after my surgery by my nurse. I know the first couple days it should be Decaf, not sure why, but Im almost 4 months post op and have atleast 2 cups a day, no problem!

I had coffee right after my surgery. I was never told that I could not have it. And Decaf does not cut it for me. I have a cup or two every morning and it makes me and the people around me feel much better. Take care. Becky

I had a cup of coffe 4 days post-op. I used spenda and a little bit of fat free Creamer. My doctor never put me on any type of restriction.

I was told at my pre-op nutrition apt that coffee is considered a 'full-liquid.' I was allowed to have it the day after the surgery. I waited a few days, though.

Each doc has his/her own diet plan post-op. I'd call and ask, just to be sure. But coffee should be ok as long as you don't load it w/sugar.

coffee was on my list for the post op liquid phase. As long as you get in your 64 oz of hydrating liquids coffee should not be a problem for you. You might ask your surgeon what the reason is behind not having coffee.

coffee was on my list for the post op liquid phase. As long as you get in your 64 oz of hydrating liquids coffee should not be a problem for you. You might ask your surgeon what the reason is behind not having coffee.

Coffee is very hard on the stomach, and it's not the caffeine that's the problem either. There are compounds in coffee which increase the hydrochloric acid levels in the stomach, which can lead to ulcers and other bad things. It is also known to have an impact on the esophogeal sphincter and can make food more likely to come back up on you. It has a tendency to slow down the digestive tract in general. Decaffeinating the coffee does not remove the culprit oils. This also explains why many people who cannot drink coffee can do other sources of caffeine with no problem.

Depending on how iffy your stomach is to start out will probably depend on what your doctor has to say about drinking it after surgery. Coffee is a mild diuretic and the doc may want you to stay away from it for a bit if he's concerned about you getting enough fluids in general.

I personally can't even swallow a sip of it without being doubled over in pain 10 minutes later, and this is before surgery.

I have no problems with coffee. I even have Starbucks coffee. Of course I go the FF SF route, but its my treat. I love my skinny lattes.