Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gurgling noises, burping and tooting

Are these things something you have to deal with on a daily basis forever or is this just something that happens after surgery for a short period? Please tell me it's not forver:sick as that's why I have chosen the band over the others.

I think the burping and tooting are generally only a problem immediately follow surgery as they fill you with gas to do the procedure and it can accumulate a bit. Once you get rid of that, you should be pretty burp and toot free if you eat slowly and try not to gulp. The band doesn't really like it when you gulp. As for the gurggling noises, that generally only happens when my fill is too tight. I don't know how long ago that you had your surugery, but I'm assuming it was recently. If that's the case, the gurgles might be because your stomach is swollen and therefore should go away once the swelling goes down.

This is just my opinion, as everyone responds differently. I never had gas after surgery, but a lot of people have. So good luck, and I hope I have helped easied your concerns.

Cindy

I havent had the surgery yet, im still waiting and hoping for ins apaproval. But I read a post and it had me alarmed:think

I think that may be an individual thing. I didn't have any gas from the get-go. I rarely hear a gurgle, and I've probably burped 6 times in my entire life!

Carrie

7/25/05

222/202/125

:cry OMG, I am 1 month out just had my first fill this past thurs 9/29 I have tooted-blasted since the day of my surgery and still do, I am really burpy after each and every drink.

I had the gas pains in my shoulder a little bit, but not much. Then for the past 2 weeks I have had severe pain- I mean really really severe pain, in my chest and straight across my back and was told it is acid reflux by regular DR. My surgeon doesnt think it was acide reflux and should go away with the fill... Most of that pain all the way across my back-shoulders went away, but now it is like from the left side of my left breast all the way back into Left shoulder, and really really hurts me a lot. Nothing is helping, and it keeps coming and going all day long, I am trying to figure out if it is only when I eat or drink things, as I am now allowed to go to mushy. But man I tell you it hurts for long periods of time in my shoulder. I have a high tolerance for pain, but this hurts and makes me cry.. Not trying to steal the post, but any other help or ideas..? I have taken major maloxx max, phazyme, and Biofreeze on my back etc... Somebody please help me...........

Shoulder pain sounds like gas to me - I was quite sore for 2 weeks after with it, take DeGas or Gas-X and hopefully that should help and remember slowly slowly - I ate really quickly on mushies because I was hungry, but that only makes the pain worse. As to the burps - the only time I have the burps is if I have eaten too quickly - and they are not real stinky burps its just like air - so its noisy but not too yucky, and if I remember to eat and drink slowly I dont get them at all.

Guest rebeka7280

Guys I thought I was dying last night!!! I put in my mouth two table spoons of rice one after another, which I know I'm not suppose to eat that. My Dr said 2 weeks only liquid and yet I'am at my 10th day. It gave me sharp pains in my upper back and My stomach area where the band is at. A lot of awful pain for about 6 or 7 minutes. than I know were not suppose to throw up, but I had to bring some of it back out since it was not going down, it was stuck in my lower chest area. I immediately RELAXED. do ya think my band could of been damaged or something???

Get ready for a scolding, you're on liquids and mushies for a reason.... healing. Your stomach needs to heal, eating solids like that makes your digestive system work, which includes the stomach muscles.

NO, NO, don't do that. If ya gotta have something, at least spit it out. I'm almost 10 months out and I wouldn't think of eating two spoons of rice, you may as well have eaten a roll.

The golf ball feeling in your back and chest happens when you've eaten too fast and too much and did not chew well enough.

You're on a new journey now and you have to have respect for your new friend the band.

Good Luck!

The problem I have with my shoulder pain is that it started after my first fill... It comes and goes, but man it hurts sooooo bad.... it was all teh way across the back b/4 the fill and I was told it was acid reflux even though none went to my throat...? Been taking Aciphex and it doesnt help, the Phazyme has 160 mg of the simethicone in it, more than the malox max etc... But it doesnt help at all, tried walking nope... I guess I have to call my surgeon again tomorrow. Things go down well and I am very observant to make sure I chew to goo and go slow etc.. I think the pain comes even w/out eating or drinking anything. Even if I take 1 swallow of Water it is there...I can handle pain pretty good, but not when it is soooo constant.....

This is making me not like my little hitchhiker very much right now....

Yes, I do have the gas and burping...I think, after 3.5 weeks of having the band, that it has to do with my eating (kind of foods and way I'm eating).

As far as gurgling...I did that my first week only. It was like I have a clogged drain and then gurgle gurgle my liquids would go through the band! Now, since the swelling has come down, it's much easier. I am also on soft food now.

Lucky, I try to hid the burping and farting. Shawn

Yes, I do have the gas and burping...I think, after 3.5 weeks of having the band, that it has to do with my eating (kind of foods and way I'm eating).

As far as gurgling...I did that my first week only. It was like I have a clogged drain and then gurgle gurgle my liquids would go through the band! Now, since the swelling has come down, it's much easier. I am also on soft food now.

Lucky, I try to hid the burping and farting. Shawn

I just got banded Friday Sept 30th. I'm in more pain than I expected, but I'm tough and I figure most soreness/pain reaches its peak at day 3, which is tomorrow. I do also have the gurgles and gas like you wouldnt believe. I'm not passing a lot of it, but I've been taking the baby gas medicine in hopes to relieve some of it.

Been walking, but could walk more I suppose to get the gas moving.

Oh the dignity we give up for our band!!!

So far I can eat just about 4-5 oz of broth, 3 oz or so of apple juice and MAYBE a bite of Jello and i'm ready to call it quits. Water seems to be going down fine.

Any suggestions on post-op healing would be great!

I am 12 months out with my lap band, and I gurgle all the time. It's a bit annoying, and can be loud enough for others to hear. I just had another fill, and now I've been up the past week with HORRIBLE acid reflux, and regurgitation. HELP.... I went to the doc's yesterday and he removed part of my fill, but I still was up all night long.

I was banded 5 days ago. Talked to the nurse 2 days ago and told her I was hungry. She told me I could add Soup, yogurt and jello...just no chunks. I did have some chunks, it did not have any affect on me. I'm afraid my band is not on right. I really needed the band to restrict my eating and am afraid this isn't going to work. I know I need to follow the doc/nurse advice and I full expected to pay for eating more than I should. Since I didn't I'm really nervous the band wasn't placed right. Thoughts?