Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems over the past six weeks. Acid, ect.

Before I ask for advice, I better explain why I'm having trouble reaching surgeon... I lost my job in April, and then when my roomies decided they didn't want me either, I lost that home and ended up at my fathers. He lives isolated on an island community, and while that sounds great, it is also a small fortune to get to the mainland particually when you're on unemployment and jobless.

The surgen seemed to think everything was okay, and seemed to be okay with me going through GP most of the time, and didnt' send me out a next appointment...

Anyway, so this is what has been happening.

About six weeks ago, it suddenly started. Literally, after a meal, I was suddenly unable to eat. I threw up anything solid, or mushy, and even drinking tea was a problem.

And at night, I'd have to throw up just to sleep, the acid wouldn't stop coming otherwise...

This lasted for about a week and it was when I had a cup of tea, and had to throw it up, when I decided that I needed to do something... so I went to ER.

ER was a bit of a disaster. I hadn't slept the night before, due to the acid, and when I got there the nurse seemed to mistake 'Haven't eaten solid or mushy food for a week' for 'haven't pooped for a week' after I mentioned that I did have a bit of constepation. So when I got in there, the doctor ignored the band and tried to prod around in the other direction. I got upset, being tired and having just spent a week drinking tea and watery Soups, and made sure he didn't get near me with that stupid gloved hand. Said that I didn't understand what my bottom had to do with the inability to eat or a lapband problem.

So they did an xray and they THOUGHT it looked okay, but then, they also didn't know that a lapband could slip downwards so...

The doctor told me to come back to the ER the next day. They didn't have the right doctor, sorry. Couldn't help me. Gave me some pills for the acid reflux, with no instructions, and being tired and upset I went home. Didn't go back the next day, couldn't AFFORD to go back for a second day in a row. ( As I'd told them.) Since when do people go to the ER for anything other htan what might be a big problem?

SO I decided to be super careful, didn't want to keep throwing up fluids, so I went on a Fluid only diet for several days to be really careful and gentle on the stomach. It seemed to work and soon I could manage solids again.

The acid kept on coming at night but not so much, so well rested and partly well fed, I refused to complain. Or go back to the bottom probing hospital.

Then about two weeks ago, it got worse again. I either had the 'vomit acid' which meant I would wake up with nastiness in my mouth and in my throat and would try and throw it all up... but that was easy, seeing as it was 'natural vomit acid'. Or it was the 'gluggy acid' which I couldn't wash down with Water, or swallow down, or cough up, and it would burn me so bad that I'd wheeze and cough for air and feel pretty freaked out that maybe it might close up my airways competely. THAT only could be pushed down with plain weetbix, with no milk, thick and plain and wheaty....

So this time I went to the island's GP. It was so bad that it hurt to drink a cup of tea or to breathe. He reassured me that the band was probably okay, and proscribed me nexum, saying that I'd probably been damaging the espohagus for years but had only just felt hte pain.

It worked for about three, four days? But then the acid slowly got worse and worse again, and nothing stopped it... not nexum, not weetbix, nothing.

So last night it was so bad that I woke up every ten minutes till I just gave up on sleeping. I can eat all right... just can't lie down.

I don't know what to do now, or what is going on. GP and hospital told me everything's okay, but this was so sudden, and I can't sleep! Should I go back to GP and ask for a barium swallow, even if he thinks it's okay, or call up surgeon directly and ask for an appointment... or what?

Also, has anyone experianced this? Esspically the gluggy acid! I would love to know what I can do in the middle of the night to fix it, as my 'midnight snacks' cause a few arguements even if they are on bland tasteless weetbix. (Wheat processed then made into rectangles, a sugerless ceral.)

This same thing happened to me while I was in Mexico working (my company outsourced and I was training others). Because I was there on business I had to stay for 6 weeks. These 6 weeks were the most miserable weeks ever. I had gotten where I couldn't eat or drink anything. Even with no eating or drinking I still had acid reflux and it was the worse at night when I was trying to sleep. I stuck it out the full six weeks (lost 30lbs). I got home and the first thing I did was call my surgeon. He had me come right in that same day I called and guess what, I had a full slippage of the band. Well he immediately took out all my Fluid and I was to return in 4 weeks. Since he took out all my fill I was finally able to eat and keep everything down. That night I slept very well. I went back in the 4 weeks like he asked me too and he put a third of my fill back in. I was doing ok with going back and getting small fills, then one night 3 months later I have acid reflux really bad again. I made a appt with my surgeon to have some fill taken out and my worst fears were confirmed. I had another slip. He told me that when you have a slip you are at a higher risk of having another. I told him I could not live this way with having a slip every three months or so. He scheduled me for another surgery to go in and either replace the band I have or revise it. A few months later I had the surgery again and I was happy to learn he was able to revise the band instead of replacing it. I have been doing so much better this time around and am not real aggressive with my fills. I am losing weight the right way. Once in a while I will get too tight and have to go in to get some of my fill taken out but for the most part I am doing much better and am on track again. During this ordeal I did gain 20lbs back when I didn't have any Fluid in my band but since the surgery I have been able to get it back off. Don't wait too long before you get your fluid or some of the fluid taken out of your band because it will cause slippage if it is too tight for too long of a time. The regurgitation and throwing up is not good for it and will cause it to slip. Because I was in Mexico and was unfamiliar with any doctors there I did not want to go to the hospital and suffered through my pain. I did pay dearly for waiting. Good luck to you and I hope you get well soon.

Cynthia

Texas

Hi All -

GO GET AN UN-FILL! The last fill I had was in March, so this sounds bizzarre - but do it.

I have been having the same problem over the last month and it has only gotten worse. I originally went to my LapBand doc, he took an x-ray saying my band may have slipped, but it didn't. Then he told me nothing is wrong with the band and to go to someone else to get treated for GERD.

I went as far as having an EGD today with a gastrologist, and he said everything inside of me looked fine except that my band seemed extra tight. He said he could barely get the scope camera through it!!

I am going in first thing in the morning to get an unfill. I am not sure how much yet (I have 8cc's in a 10cc band). And I am assuming that should give me relief asap.

I went to get it checked and it HAS slipped. Something about it being at a 4oclock position. I saw a new doctor as soon as I saw the tests, someone who I was reassured could take Fluid out of the band, but he sort of ummed and ahhed and prodded around with his finger for hte port. Then said 'I don't feel confidant to do this, you will have to go get it done under xray. Till then, eat solids.'

x_x

So, that being on a friday, I had to wait till monday. Called up the clinic he told me that would do it, one that's reachable frome where I live (I live on an island), but it turned out that they DIDN'T do it and there were only two clinics that DID. Further away. Private clinics. I needed a public healthcare clinic.

(And any anti-public healthcare Americans, don't assume I don't love it and you guys are better off without it, because I got the band thanks to it! This seems to be something with this particular state of Australia.)

So now I've found out that I probably can't go to those clinics and I'll have to go back to the doctor. Maybe he better try it 'blind'.

It's been getting worse too. I think there was blood last night when I vomited, not much, just a drop or two. But it feels 'stretched' in my throat and I feel sort of breathless. I'm coughing a lot too.

And now I've found out that no one besides my surgeon knows if it's the 10cc band or the other one. Or how much is inside.

Bah.

So it sounds like there are only 2 doctors that can help you. Are they LapBand doctors? Or just general practice doctors(that's what GP is, right?)? In either case, it sounds like you seriously need to get an unfill..... and pronto. Are there any public doctor's that can help you? What about your surgeon? He should be able to help you, right? If not him, can't you call his office any explain the severity and ask for a refferal to someone they know that can help you? I am just trying to think of alternative for you my dear.... it sounds like you are in much pain, and blood is never good to see.

Hang in there and try your hardest to make someone who can help you understand. I know how much pain and uncomfort you are in as I was in the same a few weeks ago. I will pray for you!!

Ses, where do you live?

I'm in Australia, Queensland.

Okay!

So I FINALLY managed to get to a big hospital. I mean, the biggest in Brisbane. With my test results and all of that...

Anyway, long story short, the band has slipped and I'm on a shortlist for surgery to fix it or replace it. 2-4 weeks.

And also, my port was apparently not stitched to the muscle... so I had a wonderful five minutes with a port needle in me as they tried to hold it still and jab it. I think they got the muscle and/or organ underneath then sucking ...a few too many times. Took two doctors. I think they plan on fixing THAT too.

But anyway, they've taken all the Fluid out. (Fluid was pink?) I can eat normally now. ...well, you know, as normal as I can. Trying to stay on tiny meals and following the right habits, no drinking after meal, slow eating, ect ect, so I stay 'practiced'...

What a relief though. ._. I didn't realize how bad I'd started to feel...

On the downside toall this, I was 110kgs about six weeks ago (a few weeks after the slip) and now I've gained 20kgs... so not so good.