Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded 8/19, Question?

My surgery went off without a hitch but I had to have a hyital hernia repaired while my surgeon was in there.

I am having a pain in my left shoulder on the back and it just seems like I can't get enough oxygen in sometimes. Other than that I feel pretty good. I only had to take pain meds twice and now not at all.

What could that shoulder pain be and has anyone else had breathing problems?

That pain you are describing sounds like gsa pain During the surgery they pump CO2 into your abdominal cavity to make it easier to work in that area. The gas has to make its way out of your body. Try taking gas X strips. I had that same pain and I know many others who have too....but if your are super concerned--call your surgeon

good luck!

I too had a h/hernia repair when I had the band placed.

I had the same issues.

I think it is normal even though it's not comfortable and a little scarry not to be able to catch your breath.:biggrin:

It will go away in time.

Take gas-x for the pain in the shoulder.

Use low heat on a heating pad ( be careful not to get it too hot they can burn/ better yet use a hot Water bottle!) for the shoulder pain.

I walked as much as possible to get rid of the gas and it seemed to relieve the pressure on the abdomen so I could breath a little easier.

I reasoned the shortness of breath as the swelling in the abdomen pushing on my diaphram.

I don't know if that is true but it made me want to walk more!

Hang in there it gets better.

Gas X is your friend!:o

Stock up on it you may need it for a few weeks while your body adjusts to it's new addition!

Hey, I also had a h/hernia repair when I had my surgery on 7-1-09. I also believe it is gas bc I had the same thing to happen. My surgeon even told my parents that I would have pain in my left shoulder due to gas but it would get better. However, if you feel anxious or scared you should call your surgeon just to be sure that everything is going as it should. If it is gas the only thing you can do is walk, use gas x strips and walk some more. The more you move the better off you will be. Best of luck on your band and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Walk, Walk, Walk and use the little breathing machine they gave you to take deep breaths. The shoulder pain is very normal.

Thanks guys, I thought it was something minor but I just wanted to know if there were others out there who have experienced my problems. I am not so scared now that I know this too will pass (no pun intended)

Today is the first day I am going to go outside and walk. I'll try walking around my block a couple times today. Once this morning then again this evening. I don't have a huge block but it will be a pretty good walk. (taking my own sweet time of course)

Again, Thanks a lot for all your help!

I recommend you take it slow and easy!

Start with a short walk and increase it each time.

I started walking to the end of the block (@4 houses down) and back and increasing it a few houses each time.

Do this several times a day.

I was walking a mile within a week.

You're recovering so listen to your body.

You don't want to get too tired at the begining and have a set back.

Remember the story if the Tortoise and the Hare?

Slow and steady wins the race!

I also got banded on 8-19-09 .I have had such bad gas pain its killing me um finely feeling better ands its saturday it sucks cause i cant burp it feels ugly when the air comes up and then it goes back down it hurts bad I just wish I knew when i was going to feel normal again um a little scared

Hang in there tony50 it does get better.

The first week is the hardest.

I was crying after @ the 3rd day after surgery wondering what I had been thinking to do such a stupid thing like have the surgery.

I was ready to call the dr to tell him to take it out!

It passed and now I am so happy I did!

Really it does get better!

I promise it does.

Gas-x and walking are the best things for you right now!

Hang in there!

I was just banded as well and I know what you are going through. Hang in there and it will get better. Walk, walk and walk. :thumbup:

Thank you guys for all the encouragement. I needed that!

I don't care what anyone says having someone who has gone through exactly what you are going through is priceless.

You guys are jewels.

BTW, I'm feeling much better now. I'm a week and one day out from surg and almost back to my normal routine. I'm still taking it slow but I'm able to do everything I did before except sleep on my side. I'm sure that will come in time.

Again Thanks!