Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wake up with pain every night?

Hi everyone! I got banded on August 12th and I have a question. I am feeling great so far, except for night time. I am not even really sore from recovering from surgery anymore but for some reason every night I wake up 2 - 3 times a night with this pain my stomach/back and I wondering if anyone else has had it and knows what it is and what I can do to make it stop? It drives me insane! I just can't get a good night sleep, I though maybe it was just recovering from the surgery but its still happening every night and I have felt great the past 3 days. What hapens is the same each night. I go to bed at around 10pm, I wake somewhere around midnight with this pain so i get up and get a Jello cup and eat it while sitting in my recliner, I am up about an hour and then I go back to bed at around 1am, then I wake up again at like 2am to the same pain so I come out and drink some Water, go tyo the bathroom and go back to bed at like 2:30am and then I wake up again at around 4am or 4:30am with yet again the same pain. Again I sit up drink some water feel better and then I go back to bed this time like a half hour later. Then I sleep until about 7am or 7:30am when I wake up to the same pain?! Its obviously related to laying down for so long. What the heck is wrong with me and will this last forever, I need some consistent, all thru the night sleep!!!!

i didnt experience this but I have heard the some people have to sleep in a recliner for a while after surgery. You mite try that to see if you can get through a nite. Bless your heart.

I was banded on Aug 10th. Initially I slept on 3 pillows, pretty much sitting up while I slept - not the most restful. Then a fellow bandster suggested sleeping on my side with a pillow wedged on my side - voila! this has worked like a charm. You only need to test which side works best for you; I realized that the left side hurt like heck, so the right side it is.

I also take a stroll outside w/a Protein Drink before bed this helps me get rid of some of the trapped gas. I'm actually starting to feel more like myself.

By the way, the 4th and 5th day after surgery appeared to be my worst - pain, gas, fatigue... then the 6th day it was like someone flipped a switch and things were brighter.

I'm still a little tired but I guess that's to be expected since I barely get 500 cals in a day. I plan to speak with the doc about the fatigue Thursday when I return for my follow up appt.

Hang in there...

Yankeegirl, I had to do a double take of your post and make sure it wasn't mine....I have been going through the same exact things since being banded on the 12th of August as well. I'm just taking it one day at a time because it seems that time heals the wounds literally....I wish it could get rid of all of this gas that I am having. I had to leave work early today because of it, and my primary doctor told me that I need to be off for at least another week from work since I'm not eating any food at this stage. I have my ups and downs and night time seems to be the worst some days. Last night is the first night that I pretty much slept all night...Thank God cause I needed the sleep. Can't wait to get past this part...

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE TIP!!! I tried the pillow under my side thing and only woke up once last night and not because of pain, I had to pee, LOL!!! Thank you, thank you, you don't even know how much I needed some sleep!!

Mrs Mateo I completely understand where you are coming from! Thankfully I don't really have gas pains, I only had them the first 3 days. When I was still in the hospital the docs and nurses told me to walk, walk, walk to alleviate the gas pain. So that's what I did, i would get my pain medicine and then walk for twenty minutes, every time I got my pain meds. It didnt feel great and my legs and butt hurt terrible the next day but it worked and for that I am thankful!! I will take some minor muscle aches over that gas pain anyday! Hang in there!!

I was banded on the 12th also, and I still have to take one of my pain pills before I go to sleep. My pain is in the port area, I sleep with a pillow under my side and it works. I did sleep in the recliner the first several days. I am battling with fatigue as well, and made a call to my dr. this morning about starting on mushies early. I just need more than liquids right now.....we'll see!

Hey YankeeGirl!!!

Great to hear that you've gotten a good nights sleep. This will definately help in your recovery. I know that as soon as I received a goods night sleep I felt more like myself again. I actually feel that I can go back to work Monday 8/24 w/o any problem; before I felt that I'd never get to this stage.

Continue to sleep well and rest and please do as the dr says - I'm following my orders to the ine to the letter.

Hang in there.