Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever regretted getting a band and not another form of WLS??

I was banded 4th December 2008 and have lost about 36lb since my op but up until about the end of June 2009. So for the last 2 months I have lost nothing despite having a fill and eating right.

I feel so fed up each week when I weigh-in to have lost nothing although I am very greatful that I have not gained any weight either.

Sometimes I wish I just had the RNY as the weightloss is so much faster and substatial and in a way kind of 'guarenteed'.

I dont know if my impatience or frustration is due to me not losing weight in the last 2 months, or because 36lb seems pitiful weightloss for a 9 month period or just because I am young and impatient...I am 23.

Even tho I had a fill about a month ago I dont feel a great deal of restriction unless it is the morning but then as soon as I eat Breakfast its gone by midday.... completely gone and I have a 10cc lapband filled with 7cc.

Its so annoying that I have started to feel and look better and then the weightloss just stopped!! I was looking forward to dating again and now I just feel lonely... am the only singleton and fatty out of all ny friends which is not a coincidence! Sometimes I feel like comfort eating and with this lack of restriction, is completely possible to do!

I know I need a fill but being in the UK and with my band being fitted on the NHS (free), I can only have fills every 3 months at my stage in the game... so my next appointment is the end of Sept.

I also know that exersice is important but with seeing no results I have kinda given up to be honest... I need some help and inspiration guys...please!!

Nic xx

Edited by Nicynoo1

Nic,

Many have been in your position. I can understand your frustration. Until you hit your "sweet spot," this is an uphill battle. You need to work with your band, it can't do all the work for you. Are you eating right? I mean REALLY eating right? Also, even if you've given up, you need to exercise! That will kickstart your metabolism and hopefully get things going. Also are you journaling? If not try starting for a week, you might notice a trend that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Right now it seems you're in a dangerous mindframe that could lead to you gaining, and we don't want to see that happen!

Just try to be patient, make sure you are doing your job, eat right and exercise, and remember your inspiration. What caused you to get the surgery in the first place? Focus on those things, remind yourself that you can do it. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey...this is your test right now. You can do it, and you'll be so much stronger at the end of it!

I actually wish that I had gotten a different type of surgery quite often. I've had many ups and downs in this battle. The Lapband DOES help, but it takes SO much effort and i've had my share of tears of frustrations regarding the band. Even when I'm trying to do everything right it seems impossible sometimes. A lot of times it seems so fickle as to if it will work or not too. It really is about finding your "sweet spot" though. I was doing okay in the beginning, then I had to have a complete unfill for a while, gained twenty pounds, and for 11 months straight just struggled not to gain another pound. FINALLY a month ago I think I found it again and the band is back to doing what it's supposed to, and I've been losing weight for the first time in almost a year again... So I know the lap-band does definitely WORK, but it takes a lot of work just to get it to work! So right now I'm happy with the band and think it's a great tool, but it makes me sad sometimes to think about where I'd be if I had just gotten the bypass to begin with. Either way, it's in there now, and I've just got to keep using it as best as I can! Goodluck, I share your frustration, hang in there though, I'm sure you will do great!

I feel your pain! And yes to be honest I have felt like I wished I had taken the leap of faith and had the sleeve but I did go into this knowing I would have to give 110% meaning watching what I eat and working out a lot. I think although we all say it and mean it "It is just a tool" we are really hoping deep down wls is a magic bullet. I try to think of it this way the band offers long term help whereas gastric and the sleeve are a done deal. The band will allow us to kep the restriction that some people lose with the other wls so in the long run I think I will benefit from this choice.

I think by your own admission you have not been on track with the diet and exercise and that has been my issue as well. I had to really just stop myself and go over my goal an set a plan of action and just do it. I kept waiting to be motivated to do things and it just didn't happen so I just had to take small steps and move forward.

I got a personal trainer and rejoined Weight watchers for accountability. Ultimately, you have to look at it this way you must burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound if your BMR is 2,500 even if you do not eat that day you can't lose a pound that day. Most Dr.s recc about 1,000 calories so at best you break even, meaning WE MUST EXERCISE to get progress. Try using www.sparkpeople.com or www.thedailyplate.com We are all in this together and can get healthier!

Thank you all so much for your support! It is soo reasurring when you know you are not alone and that others can identify with your struggles. I think everyone that has replied so far has indeed knocked the nail on the head. Ultimately it comes down to me and my motivation, so sitting down and refocusing would be a great help as would writting a plan of action and also remembering why I had this op in the first place. Obesity has taken up so much of my life...actually all of it, so I just want it to be over so I can enjoy life!

@unforgettable...Thank you so much your message was sooo inspirational and has given me the kick I have needed for the last 2 months! I will just make a plan of action and hopefully I will be losing a pound or two (if not more!!) each week and feeling and looking great!

Thanks everyone,

Nic xx

No I love my band. I didn't hit "the green zone" until May 7 and have lost about 2/3 of my total loss since that time. I have had no issues and LOVE my band; I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars.

Although bypass and other options work well for many people, I researched and felt the band was right for me. I mulled it over for a long time and once I committed I've never looked back. It gives ME control for the first time in my life. My BAND doesn't control what I eat, my HORMONES don't control it, I do. It's exactly what I thought it would be and exactly what I wanted.

Yes I understand how you feel, I weigh my options all the time but i look back and see the other wls and I know i chose the right one for me. You just have to put your mind to it and go with it. and work it as good as you can. I get frustrated a lot about the slow process but where would you be with out your band. keep going and doing a good job. stay with the program and keep on moving.

ucdep99

You've received some really good advice. I went through a 4-5 month period with no weight loss. So it can happen at anytime along the way! I finally started losing again this last month!

I would make sure you are sticking to eating well and exercising. I have found that exercise is really important for me. When I was in the rut I really wanted to just give up, but I stuck with it and it really has helped. I did lose inches and I am sure it was from exercising, because I was not losing any weight.

I love my band and would not go back in a minute. I would have never lost the weight that I have and I would not still be moving down the scale like I want to. It is a lot of work, but it is worth my health and the new energy I have!

Thanks alot for your replies, I have had a lot to think about and have come to the conclusion that I dont regret having a band...I just am very impatient and want to see results more quickly than I can, the type of results the more drastic methods of wls have. Without my band I would not hae lost a pound as I hadn't lost any weight before it. I would have probably been 40lb heavier so I am greatful for what I have lost. I just needed a kick start.

@RestlessMonkey... I am so happy for you that you are completely satified with you band. its always good to hear views from both sides of the coin and I cant wait to feel the same. Well done!

@krtork....You are exactly right. I have lost a few inches in the last 2 months, just not weight so the little exercise I have done must be paying off because, for the most part, I do eat right. I will up my exersice and hopefully that will be the jolt I need. I was also thinking that my plateau may be because I lost the weight really quickly in the beginning and my body needs a little catch up!! Just a theory!

Thanks again everyone xx

Hang in there! It's a process, but it will happen for you too!

Thank you very much....I hope so!!

Glad I could be inspiring! This is such a mental game. For me it always has been, an that's where the problems with food started in the first place.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I would suggest going to a therapist as well, someone who specializes in bariatric surgery and/or eating problems. They'll help you identify triggers for eating, why you feel like a failure, and just help you sort out everything that's going through your head right now. I'd recommend it to anyone who went through WLS, but especially those that are feeling down in the dumps like you are.

Good luck! You can do it

I was banded 4th December 2008 and have lost about 36lb since my op but up until about the end of June 2009. So for the last 2 months I have lost nothing despite having a fill and eating right.

I feel so fed up each week when I weigh-in to have lost nothing although I am very greatful that I have not gained any weight either.

Sometimes I wish I just had the RNY as the weightloss is so much faster and substatial and in a way kind of 'guarenteed'.

I dont know if my impatience or frustration is due to me not losing weight in the last 2 months, or because 36lb seems pitiful weightloss for a 9 month period or just because I am young and impatient...I am 23.

Even tho I had a fill about a month ago I dont feel a great deal of restriction unless it is the morning but then as soon as I eat Breakfast its gone by midday.... completely gone and I have a 10cc lapband filled with 7cc.

Its so annoying that I have started to feel and look better and then the weightloss just stopped!! I was looking forward to dating again and now I just feel lonely... am the only singleton and fatty out of all ny friends which is not a coincidence! Sometimes I feel like comfort eating and with this lack of restriction, is completely possible to do!

I know I need a fill but being in the UK and with my band being fitted on the NHS (free), I can only have fills every 3 months at my stage in the game... so my next appointment is the end of Sept.

I also know that exersice is important but with seeing no results I have kinda given up to be honest... I need some help and inspiration guys...please!!

Nic xx

The band isn't going to work until you hit your sweet spot. It's too bad you can only get a fill every three months. If you were to self pay could you get it done sooner?

Exercise is key. Eating right isn't enough you need to get out there and move until you are sweating.

...but it makes me sad sometimes to think about where I'd be if I had just gotten the bypass to begin with. Either way, it's in there now, and I've just got to keep using it as best as I can! Goodluck, I share your frustration, hang in there though, I'm sure you will do great!

I am one that would have failed bypass. People think you malabsorb forever and you really don't. The honeymoon period is the time bypass folks malabsorb and after the honeymoon period is over you are back to diet/exercise. The idea is to change your eating behaviors during the honeymoon phase and by the time that is over you are in maintenance. I am one that I would have let malabsorption do the trick and by the time that was over I'd be in a mad dash to change my eating behaviors. I know me, I would have failed bypass.

...I try to think of it this way the band offers long term help whereas gastric and the sleeve are a done deal. The band will allow us to kep the restriction that some people lose with the other wls so in the long run I think I will benefit from this choice.

I don't understand, what do you mean that the sleeve is a done deal. With a sleeve you have perfect restriction for the rest of your life. It's a restrictive procedure only, just like the band.

Just though I would let you all know that since I posted the first message, I have not lost any weight but I did lose inces!! I am so happy!

Thank you all for the advice and help, and for helping to refocus me..... still wish I had the RNY though...

The time is now!

Nic xx

Congrats Nic!!! Sometimes inches speak louder than pounds :sneaky:

I just broke a 3 1/2 month plateau today so I completely relate. I was banded in february and until five minutes ago I had only lost 24 pounds post op. It really messes with your mind! I don't know why i've suddenly lost when i've changed absolutely nothing, but i'll take it!

xoxo Babe