Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question... how long did everyone wait before they had their first alcoholic drink after the band and what do you ya'll prefer to drink? I think more than food I am missing a nice ice cold beer... ahh I know I won't be having that again, so I am wondering what everyone else now drinks.< /p>

I am not banded yet, but I've heard the occassional nice cold glass of white wine goes down nicely in summer - I'd recommend a sauvignon blanc, night and light :thumbup:)

Red drinkers probably recommend red wine for winter, but I'm not a fan of it personally.

I am not banded yet, but I've heard the occassional nice cold glass of white wine goes down nicely in summer - I'd recommend a sauvignon blanc, night and light :thumbup:)

Red drinkers probably recommend red wine for winter, but I'm not a fan of it personally.

Good luck with your surgery. Yes, I have also heard about how nice wine goes down. I know I can't drink like I use to but dam I am ready for that glas:)

See when your doc clears you for alcohol; it's (like everything else, it seems!) different for all of us!

Now that I'm a year out my doc gave me the go ahead for beer (my personal preference for general everyday drinking LOL) but I generally avoided it until he told me "ok now". I don't like wine, but I did have vodka and orange juice, and some cocoanut rum and crystal light lemonade (odd but strangely tasty)

My drinks of choice since I can't really have malibu and coke that much anymore are malibu and orange juice, malibu and pineapple, malibu and simply orange with mango, bahama mama's, a very rare pina colada, and long island iced teas without a ton of coke in them. Olive Garden also makes a strawberry fresco which is just lemonade and smirnoff citrus vodka. Delicious!

i have to wait until i'm one year out (next july) but i'm longing for a Dirty Martini.....or a shot of my fav, Tequilla....or a vodka/pineapple juice....i used to love Long Island Iced Tea but can't have carbonation ever again...wonder if it still tasted the same w/o pop in it?

wait we cant have liquor until 1 YEAR post op??????? Im about to be 1 month post op and I plan on drinking on my man's bday this week...I really hope I'll be allowed 2 atleast drink a glass of something cuz dats all I want..im not a heavy drinker so im not dieing. I only drink when I go 2 parties and clubs but if I have 2 wait 1 year then partyin is gonna really blow...I gave up alcohol on the 4th of july (first day of pre-op) and that was HARD cuz there was nothing but liquor and fireworks.. I can live without drinkin beer but no liquor for 1 year sucks...guess turnin 21 this year meant nothing :biggrin:

Edited by MsFab1988

wait we cant have liquor until 1 YEAR post op??????? Im about to be 1 month post op and I plan on drinking on my man's bday this week...I really hope I'll be allowed 2 atleast drink a glass of something cuz dats all I want..im not a heavy drinker so im not dieing. I only drink when I go 2 parties and clubs but if I have 2 wait 1 year then partyin is gonna really blow...I gave up alcohol on the 4th of july (first day of pre-op) and that was HARD cuz there was nothing but liquor and fireworks.. I can live without drinkin beer but no liquor for 1 year sucks...guess turnin 21 this year meant nothing :biggrin:

Did your doc tell you that you had to wait a year? IF not, from reading on here by now you should know "do what your doc says, not what you read on here" Call Monday and find out what his policy on alcohol is, and follow it. :unsure:

Hello there,

I waited about 3 months after surgery before I had my first alcoholic beverage. I didn't have a strong drink, something social after dinner. It took much less to get me feeling anything. I think that is because I hadn't drank in 4 months. =) However, now my main concern is the calories I'm intaking. Hope this helps!

Did your doc tell you that you had to wait a year? IF not, from reading on here by now you should know "do what your doc says, not what you read on here" Call Monday and find out what his policy on alcohol is, and follow it. :biggrin:

my doc never said I couldnt have it...he even said I could have soda from time 2 time..but because of what I've been reading Im jus gonna stay away from soda period...He asked me if I drink alcohol and I said when I go 2 parties and stuff and he said no prob...but Im gonna call on monday 2 check 2 see if Im allowed 2 have a glass of malibu bay breeze :unsure:

I have NEVER found 2 surgeons with the same set of "rules". I'm sure they must exist by law of averages, but I've never found them. Don't, please, make the mistake of reading something on here and thinking it applies to you. It can be overly harsh (like no drinking for a year, or NEVER having carbonation) or it can be overly lax (like "Sure it's fine to eat whatever you want by day 3 post op)

ALWAYS ask your surgeon and/or nutritionist and follow the plan they have for you! :biggrin:

And as my granny would say "Don't borrow trouble".

And as my granny would say "Don't borrow trouble".

Your granny gives good advice! Love it!

Be sure to get your doc's guidelines on this...week 2 I was barely allowed Protein shakes; drinking then would've been foolish and harmful for me, but not all are on the same post op plan. Let your surgeon guide you in this.