Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many days off of work??

How long is everyone taking before they go back to work?

My surgery was Friday August 7th, I am off this whole week and back to work on Monday the 17th.

My surgery was also 8/7 I took the week off but depending on how I feel I may go back early.I am 3 days post op and feeling pretty good the gas pains are almost gone just a little sore still at the port site.

My surgery is Monday. Tomorrow... YEA... I think I am going to stay off a week, if I feel better and up to it maybe go back on Wed or Thurs. I will see. I am a nurse and stay on my feet all day long. I guess it will be good for the gas.LOL..

Allison

I took off a week, both pre and post op. I took off the day before surgery to get things in order, had the surgery on a Friday and was back to work on Wednesday. I have a desk job so it's not too strenuous. I actually felt well enough to go back on Monday but it was nice to have a couple of days off.

My surgery was 08/06/09. I am returning to work 08/17/09. The gas pain sucks. It moves from my shoulder, chest to stomach.

My surgery is this Friday 8/14 and I plan to go back to work Wednesday 8/19. I am an admin so pretty low key and not at all physical.

This is good information to have! I've had a lot of questions about the time afterwards and how long to feel better. Thanks for all the information! :-)

Wow, I am a little indulgent... I am having 2 weeks off.

My last day at work is 14th August (Friday), I will be banded on Tuesday 18th August and I'm not going back to work until Monday 31st August.

BUT... my parents are driving a 2,000km round trip to be here with me so I want to be off work for as long as they are here visiting... and I have about 7 weeks sick leave up my sleeve, so, why not use it?

Jennyr1222,,,, Good Morning and I hope that the monday after your surgery you are feeling great! I'm very interested in how you are feeling 3 days out from Surgery? How was the process for you,,, he day of surgery,,, did you get to go home that same day? How are you sleeping? A lot of pain while moving around? Any sick stomach?

Nothing like playing 20 questions so early in the morning hu, lol:-)

My Surgery was the 6th and I went back to work on the 10th. I actually did a lot of work on the 7th (the day after my surgery). Honestly, I must have been the luckiest person alive because the night of my surgery I was walking around my house cleaning, I walked my 2 dogs, even did some laundry. The surgery felt like I had a little menstrual cramps. When my husband had the surgery, he was out for 2 weeks after. He kept asking me what the hell was wrong with me - how could I be running around the day after surgery. I can only say thank you G-d.

:)

BrooklynGirl I hope I'm as lucky as you are. I have to go back to work a week after my surgery. I'm praying that everything goes smooth since taking more than a week is not an option that I can choose since we're so short staffed and the week that I am to return is the start of the Fall Semester.:)

My surgery was Aug. 11. I also took the 10th off because I had to do bowel prep. I plan to go back to work on Monday 8/17. If I am not feeling 100% by then I may just do a couple of 1/2 days until I am back into the swing of things. I have a desk job in the social services field, so other than going up and down the stairs to see clients it is a fairly sedentary job.

Truthfully, my post op experience is going pretty darn smoothly. i do have some intermittent discomfort in my right shoulder, but it is not excruciating. Once in awhile I will get the hiccups, and that does hurt. And I also find I can't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. Don't know why, because I am not really in pain.

I had surgery 8/7/09 and don't return to work until 8/17 which is Monday. Physically I have done great. No nausea, no shoulder and chest pain. I've been a little gassy a couple of days especially later in the day. Physically I could have returned to work probably Tues or Wed after my Fri surgery. However, mentally this has been really hard. Lots of tears, lots of depression, lots of "what have I done to myself"...why didn't I just stay fat I've lived with it this long". I am 100 percent better today. I have a great support system. I have gotten tons of support here and my close family and friends have really rallied around me. I never expected such a tough time mentally. It's been years since I have had such a total breakdown.

My port site has been sore. Yesterday is was really sore, but I think I rolled over and slept on that side during the night. I put a pillow behind my back so I wouldn't do that last night, and a small rolled up towel under my belly to support it while sleeping on my good side and today it is tons better. I wish I had thought of supporting with the towel sooner.

Patty