Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

It has been a while since I have posted in this particular section of the forums - but the time has finally arrived for my 14 day pre-op diet.

I am currently on day 3 of the pre-op diet which is to consist of 3 x Optifast shakes and 2 cups of low-starch vegetables per day.

They say that you never know how strong you can be until you have no other choice, and I have to say that I have impressed myself. There were almost tears 24 hours into the diet, but I pulled myself together and I have been coping exceptionally well.

The only question I have is in relation to the 2 cups of low-starch vegies; all I really eat of the options I was given are capsicum, mushroom, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli and zuchinni. I stir-fried a batch of these up and added some garlic and soy sauce (which are allowed)... BUT... after 3 days of eating this, the thought of having it again tonight for dinner is making me a little nauseated.

I am not highly experienced in experimenting with herbs and spices, and I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips for different things they did to make their vegies into a semi-appetising meal?

Appreciate any help you can offer, and please move this thread if I have posted in the wrong place.

I'm still smiling, are you?

Hiiiiiiiii :)

My surgery is booked for Aug 24th and I must start the pre op diet on Monday. So for the past two weeks I have been experimenting and as time has progressed, I am wanting to eat everything in site. Not a day has gone by that I haven't totally bombed :ohmy:

Anyone else with this experience?

I know that on Monday, my whole life changes forever and I really want to do this..........but the horrendous feelings of failure are almost too much to handle.

Katie2

Hey there! I am a week into my 2 week pre-op and I have the same specifications as you do! What I did with my veggies was similar. First, I sautéed chopped/bruised lemongrass (not finely, only so the juices are exposed) in a small speck of olive oil (so small that is couldn't have mattered). Discard the lemongrass after. I then added sliced mushrooms, kept them on high heat to caramelize. I added some onions, too. Then added this to low sodium chicken stock and added a dashed of rice wine vinegar to continue the asian theme. I added other veggies, like chopped asparagus to cook in the boiling stock for about a minute or so. I have also added garlic and scallions to the mix, but I found I personally like lemongrass so much that I didn't need the other things. This was delicious and my entire house came running into the kitchen to try it.

Other than that, i don't know what capsicum is, but I have been making cucumber salads with slice cucumbers, sliced red onions, and a tablespoon of low fat poppyseed dressing and it has been really refreshing. Other than that, I am extremely bored with veggies and I am trying to ween myself off so I can be prepared for post-op. Sometimes I think eating the makes me hungrier.

Hope that helps! Good luck to you!

Edited by libriteen

. So for the past two weeks I have been experimenting and as time has progressed, I am wanting to eat everything in site. Not a day has gone by that I haven't totally bombed :)

Hello Katie,

I felt the similar thing the first day I started my pre-op diet. I would look around or think about something and smell it and want it. It was tempting but I kept telling myself that I COULD eat them, and that I will be able to again soon, but not right now. I choose the band. Even though I have had a few close calls and mood swings, when I am tempted too far I come on here and read or try to fill myself up with cold Water to make me feel like I am full. This pre-op diet is HARD and I didn't think that I would be able to last a day, but somehow when I follow the instructions and have the Protein shakes and as a result I don't cheat, I don't find it all that difficult. At first I only missed eating...I didn't want to necessarily eat from hunger. After the first 2 days of not eating, you'll find that you can handle it. Just don't put yourself in a situation where people are eating food around you or where you can see/smell food. You can do this! If I can, then surely anyone can if they really want it. Don't psych yourself out just yet. Just give it try. :ohmy:

Thanks so much for your support and suggestions. I have had two clean days and feel really great about it. Have stocked up on Water, Protein powder, veggies, yogurt and cottage cheese (these are what is allowed on my pre op). I think I might have to do this one day at a time; as I have done so often during my lifetime of dieting.

Tomorrow is another day.

Katie2

i'm in the midst of day two of my pre op clear liquid diet. so far so good. i would feel tons better if i could take a little something for this headache but i'm not suppose to.... i'm actually doing ok not eating, my problem is going to be getting in any protien because i can't stand any of the shakes or drinkes or anything... yuck!