Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I NEED to share my story.

Hello, lap banders. I have a story that i NEED to share. I need support from every aspect of my life and you all are one of them.

I broke and dislocated my knee cap 2.5 inches in June 2004. Yes, ouch. Major surgery and recovery. Obviously I was prescribed pain meds. Percocet and then vicodin. For the 1st 5 months i needed the pain meds in order to walk and recover from my fall. But for the last 10 months I have continued to take these pain meds with the dosage increasing weekly. A doctor kept presribing them and i kept taking them. In May when i was banded I said no more. Then i took more. Then in July when I got a fill, i said no more, same thing in August. Well that has not happened. I am up to between 8-15 pills a day, sometimes less but never have had more than that. When i first started it was 3-4 a day so i am sure if i didnt get help it would soon end up being the 30-40 a day that i read about on line. Well my point is that tomorrow I am going to a drug rehab for opioid detoxification. It should be about 5 days that i will have to spend there. I am scared. I have 2 small kids that i will miss dearly. And my husband. This addictive personality runs in my family and i am glad that i am able to recognize that i need help. I am scared and excited to be free of this habit. I just wanted to share. It makes me feel better. I am very concerned about my band. I was also taking vicoprofen which have 200 mg of ibuprofen per pill. So I dont know if that has hurt me. I guess when I have recovered I will discuss it with my surgeon. Maybe it didnt affect it since i have had no bad signs with my band. My band has NEVER been free of main meds since i got it. It was mostly vicodin though, one prescription was vicoprofen. So i dont know. Just wanted to share my story. Please keep me in your prayers and help me to have the strength to beat this quickly and effectively. Thanks for listening!

Wow Robyn. You are brave and strong in so many ways; for taking care of this problem by going to the rehab facility for detox, and for sharing it with us here. ((((((((((HUGS))))))))) for you my friend. You will beat this. Addiction is nasty business. You are doing the right thing. Stay strong. Stay focused on the prize of life without pain pills. You will be so new! Please keep us updated. You will be in my prayers.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Robyn,

Well you have the first step done, (admitting there is a problem) and the second one in progress(getting treatment). I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep your chin up and just remember........those babies need a healthy mom:). You can do it!!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Robyn, I can feel your pain, my husband has been battling the same demon for years, he has chronic back pain 2 herniated discs from an automobile accident he was in 10 yrs ago and has had 3 neck surgeries as well, he is addicted to pain meds, he takes 10-15 norco a day, he also wears a pain patch, these pills are very easy to become addicted to and it does not help you had a doctor who gave them out like candy..I will be praying for you and your family. It takes alot of courage to come here and post what you have posted. I admire you for that :) I'm happy you are getting the help you need to finally get this monkey off your back . Best of luck to you.

Wow How brave of you to admit that you have a problem. That is the hardest part! You are taking the right steps to continue your journey to health.

My Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Amy

Robyn,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time beating this problem, you have stopped before, you can do it again. You should be very proud of yourself for noticing that it's getting out of control and it's time to get help. Also be proud for standing up and fighting such a hard addiction, It's not easy to admit when we have faults or a problem. You are clearly doing the right thing for you and your family. You can't take care of your family if you can't take care of yourself, meaning, staying drug free and keeping healthy.

You mention that you have a husband with 2 small children, and it's going to be hard being away from them for five days. Those five days that you will be away are meant for you to concentrate on you, this will buy you many more days of your life because you will be getting rid of this addiction, an addiction that could become drastic if you don't take care of it now. Five days away from your family verse a lifetime is well worth it.

I know this might be hard to do but my brother had an addiction to vicodin so he went into a rehab to help himself. What he did before he went in was called the Dr. who prescribed the med. and told him he had formed an addiction and that he was getting help for it. So when he goes to the Dr. for a pain issue, the doctor never even mentions pain meds. as an option. He already knows my brother has had a problem in the past and prescribes a non addictive med. The Pharmacist also knows. (My Mom and I went to my brothers house and cleaned out all the medication that he can't take anymore, so he wouldn't see anything that could tempt him).

Keep your chin up! My support, strength, thoughts & prayers go out to you and your family. This is going to be a life changing thing for you, just like the band. You can do it! Be strong and you'll pull through this just fine. Please let us know when you are home safely, use these boards as a support system. You know you'll have tons of it :)

Good for you for reaching out for all the support and help you need. You are not all that alone in those of us with major weight issues, often have multiple additiction problems, myself included. But you have taken the first and hardest step, admitting and realizing you have a problem to begin with. And you are doing something to correct the problem. You may want to check into a local Narcotics Anonymous to see when they have meetings. They're a great place for support without being judgemental.

I know it's going to be hard, but whenever you feel yourself slipping, just look at those two precious babies you have and hopefully they will see you through. Feel free to pm me whenever you'd like. I would feel privledged to be there for you in your time of need.

I am sending you very special wishes for a new and healthy lifestyle and prayers, prayers, and more prayers. And a few of these ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))).

Cindy

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOO MUCH. I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO EXPRESS MY GRATITUDE FOR ALL YOUR WELL WISHES AND PRAYERS. YOUR ENCOURAGING WORD BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES AND STRENGTH TO MY HEART. YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL. I WILL POST HERE WHEN I RETURN. I KNEW WHEN I POSTED HERe IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AND BOY WAS I RIGHT. THANKS SO MUCh 8)

Robyn, You will be in my thoughts a prayers... You are a strong woman to admit your problem and wanting to fix it.. Kudos to you... Stay strong (((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Wow I, will pray for you every day! you can and will get through it! It will be tough but you will do for your self and your family. There is life after pain meds....or any other kind.

And don,t put your self down eather, or beat your self up! its time for healing. good luck it took alot of courage to share your story.

In my time of trouble I read the bible it gave me comfort! God bless JOHNQ.

Very brave of you. You has such strength of character to accept this and to get help for it before it comepletely goes bad. We are very proud of you for getting the help you need.

We will be here cheering you on. I don't imagine it will be easy, but so many of the best things, the things that build our character are not easy.

Good Luck Robyn, you are an awesome mother, friend, wife, bandster, do I need to go on....We Love You and we will be here waiting for you to return with open arms and all the support you can handle and more.

Go Robyn, Go Robyn...do the banana dance.....dancing is healing:banana:banana:banana

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you better yourself. Stay strong for yourself, your family and know that you band family is there behind you every step of the way.