Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Hair is falling out.

I am 3 1/2 months post surgery and have so far lost about 35 lbs total, had 3 fills so far. This past month my hair has really started to fall out (and too bad it's not the grays falling out lol). Not so bad that I have a bald spot, but by the end of a shower I do have a handful of hair.

I think I am getting enough Protein and calories. M weight loss has slowed, so I don't think lack of calories is the problem. I probably eat too much at this point and trying to figure out how much I can eat and still lose weight. I surely haven't hit my sweet spot with the fills yet. I take my Vitamins as directed. I haven't been using Protein shakes and just trying to get my Protein from food: eggs, chicken, beef, dairy, fish. I was thinking maybe I should start having shakes.< /p>

My doc also recommended Biotin as a supplement. Anyone else have any advice. I also have been under a lot of stress lately, but this sure isn't the first time I've been under stress. But I'm sure it isn't helping. Please help if you can!

I started losing hair at 3 months too. I think sometimes regardless of how much Protein we get in or what supplements we take such as the Biotin (I don't take it) I think our bodies are just reacting to the stress we have put it through with the surgery and the weight loss we have had so far.

From what I've read it does stop and the hair regrows. I've noticed a decrease already, so it's not something I'm stressing over.

Hope this gives you some reassurance!!

Ladies,

I know exactly what you are dealing with. I am actually a year out and I have noticed that my hair has been thinning. I have gone ahead and started taking Biotin and gone back to drinking my Protein shakes. I have realized that while I am dropping the weight (70)lbs with no real effort except occasional workouts and eating less that, that my hair is paying the cost. I actually starting using some Indian hair powders which is stregthening my hair, along with a multi Vitamin and the Biotin each morning.

Keep yourself in shape (whole body and mind) and you will be fine.

I had the same problem about the same time out from surgery as you. My suggestion may sound a little weird but don't wash your hair as much. Try to go at least three days or longer without shampooing. My beautician gave me that suggestion. She said (and I actually saw Dr. Oz on Oprah say the exact same thing) that we wash our hair way too much and are stripping away the oils our hair needs to be healthy. Sometimes when I have used hairspray or something I will only use conditioner. If you think your hair looks bad use scarves, hats and ponytails.

Hope you don't think I am crazy but it really has helped me with my weight loss- hair loss!

I'm only 2 days post op but I do know from my nursing classes that you need Protein for your hair. I'd suggest taking the shakes or increasing the amount you're eating. hair is primarily made of Protein. I do agree with one of the other posts, it could possibly be from stress. This is a huge lifestyle change.

Good luck!

Pickup the $$ but effective NIOXIN products from your beauty salon or products store. It has helped me tremendously. My hair is growing back and less is coming out during brushing and washing. The product is close to $40 for Shampoo and an additional $40 for the conditioner - it tingles and doesn't have the best smell (its kinda medicinal) but it has certainly helped. My hairstylist says you have to use it and ONLY it - no other shampoos at all.

You can use gels,sprays and whatnot but no other shampoo/conditioner. I've been using it for 4mos now and my bottles are still just over 1/2 full. ( usually wash my hair 2-3 times per week too).

Hope this helps:smile: