Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm 10 days post-surgery. Doctor told me to start mushies. I started mushies. Had a little can of tuna yesterday, two eggs with cheese last night, five spoons of cream of wheat this morning. egg salad at lunch. I am starving, perhaps for the first time in my life. Fill on August 18. Any recommendations on how to distract myself from the hunger? I thought after nearly four weeks of a liquid diet my appetite would have been nil in any case, and it must be far smaller than it was, but gee.

Sorry I can't help you. I ate. That's probably why I didn't lose much weight until my 5/7 fill (48 pounds gone since then! YAY) but I was going to nursing school (senior year), working my chubby little fanny off, and just didn't honestly have the patience to handle being truly physiologically hungry. I followed the post op diet, and thanks to the band I did eat WAY less, but I didn't live on 1/2 cup of refried Beans (my preferred mushie) 3 times a day.

You can tough it out...(hunger is a basic drive and it doesn't go away just because you don't eat for a few weeks) and many do, and get a jump start on their loss.

Or you can call your doc and see what he says.

OMG I need new glasses. Just saw you are 10 days post op. By all means, follow your doc's diet. I didn't overeat during the healing phase (but I could eat more than 1/2 cup...it was allowed) and you shouldn't. Don't eat "ahead"...but do call your doc and see if you can increase the mushie quantity a little. :)

Good luck!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

i am 14 days post op. my first fill is on the 17th of August. I have a lil bit of issue with hunger with my mushies too. for me to distract . i read. take baths. and just sip on my Water or i found Special K Protein Water to be great(it helps curb hunger). just get away from the kitchen of your house. itll pass. personally if i eat and like 2 hours later my stomach growls ill go suck on icecubes ahah. or have a sugar free popscicle.

heres and example of my day today.

breakfast-4oz Protein shake.

lunch- 2oz mash tatoes 2oz babyfood apple sauce

snack-sugar free popscicle

dinner-4oz mixture of cottage cheese/ricotta cheese/ragu

and i have a bottle of water with me all day long.

but the hunger does pass.

youll do great :laugh:

Umm, are y'all not allowed meat as a "mushie"? I started mushies, and let me tell you what I made. And it's YUM.

I browned ground chuck. Drained it really well, and even rinsed the meat. (no grease, thank you) :laugh: I put it back in the pan and added a little Water. I seasoned it lightly and added refried Beans. I let it simmer and bubble. When I fixed mine I just added a little cheese and a spoonful of sour cream and a spoonful of mild salsa. I thought I'd went to Heaven! A small amount filled me up nicely.

Protein is what will fill you up. And this was "mushy" enough so it's easy to eat, and everything was on my "okay" list. :smile2: I really hope this helps. :tt2:

Hugs Susan

im not allowed to eat ground meat or red meat for a few more weeks and stuff.

next week i can start thin shaved deli meats and like chicken salad and stuff.

*stares intently at my "soft foods" phase list*

Isn't it weird how all surgeons have different instructions? Now I can have the ground meats and well cooked peas and cheese and stuff, but no "full" liquids other than Protein drinks. No milk, no fruit, no pudding, no starches of any kind. No veggie that isn't minced into oblivion or steamed to death. LOL I'm also allowed my eggs two ways. Boiled or scrambled. Period. LOL

I've read on this forum of people eating mashed potato and pudding and adding milk to their Protein within days of surgery, and I'm freaking out! LOL!! My doc would have a turtle! :tt2:

I have another 10 days before I can even 'look' at fruit! "Full" fluids... are no where in my future I can see. :laugh:

Sweetie all I can tell you to do is be as creative as you can with your list. I'm sorry... I don't know what you're allowed... so my ideas aren't too helpful I'm afraid.

I was banded on July 15th and was on Clear Liquids for 4 days and then started full liquids day 5. Starting day 7 I was allowed to go to mushies (we really need a better name for that) and have been able to start soft foods as tolerated after day 14.

Typical meal is two egg beaters with fat free cheese in the am, banana at 10:30, lunch, maybe 1/2 cup of baked Beans or two slices of deli turkey at noon, Protein drink like 3 pm and then for dinner maybe some more egg beaters, or really steamed soft veggies or maybe even 1/2 cup of chli (the Beans and meat are good Protein, just don't make it spicy).

I pound Water all day long as to try to stay full feeling but the restriction is definitle eased up a ton. I feel like I could eat more.

For me it helps to think about what I learned in the 6 month program leading up to the surgery that I had to attend. The band is a tool, not a fix all. I still need will power and to make good food decisions. I met one person who really failed with the lap band because all they ate was ice cream and starbucks iced drinks with full fat and cream.

I find if I am at home and not busy I get hungry and my mind wanders to what my 9 year old son has for Snacks in the closet

My first fill is August 28th, my doc wont do them before 6 weeks, and I'll work hard to keep losing through exercising and eating right for the next few weeks.

I don't have a cool little weight loss chart but I'm down 18.6 int he first two weeks.

Hang in there, we all will get through it.

Did you receive a list of "allowable" mushies? My surgeon, like LemonPOPtart's is ok with me eating meat except that red meat is frowned upon. I grilled chicken and then put it in a food processor. Picking a high Protein mushie choice will help keep you filled up. If you didn't get any written instructions with food ideas, I would call your nutritionist/surgeon's office and ask them about meat.

Good luck.

I found that sugar free sno cones helped me get through this stage.

I started mushies today and don't know what to eat. I tried a can of chicken today for lunch and it was GROSS!!!!! I think dinner will be cream of wheat. Darn… I’m out of ideas! HAHA! I actually posted a question to all about ideas on what to eat. I have a very small list of what I can eat and no mention of meat. Although I know red meat is not easy to digest so I was going to stay clear anyway. I know there has to be something more fulfilling out there. I will keep checking out your post to for ideas. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING BTW…

I browned ground chuck. Drained it really well, and even rinsed the meat. (no grease, thank you) :) I put it back in the pan and added a little Water. I seasoned it lightly and added refried Beans. I let it simmer and bubble. When I fixed mine I just added a little cheese and a spoonful of sour cream and a spoonful of mild salsa.

After weeks of liquids, I've never heard of anything more yummy in my life (within the bandster-mush diet).

Good luck in your search for more satisfying mushies!

-D

a lot of people and i got this idea off here.. i ate ricotta cheese ( i added spices like basil and stuff ) with tomatoe sauce.. cooked it a lil tastes like lasanga without noodles.

im on a cottage cheese kick right now.

and a pimento cheese kick.

get some cream of potatoe...add like garlic..cheese and blend it then cook it.

try some thick creamy Soups you canblend.

Umm, are y'all not allowed meat as a "mushie"? I started mushies, and let me tell you what I made. And it's YUM.

I browned ground chuck. Drained it really well, and even rinsed the meat. (no grease, thank you) :) I put it back in the pan and added a little Water. I seasoned it lightly and added refried Beans. I let it simmer and bubble. When I fixed mine I just added a little cheese and a spoonful of sour cream and a spoonful of mild salsa. I thought I'd went to Heaven! A small amount filled me up nicely.

Protein is what will fill you up. And this was "mushy" enough so it's easy to eat, and everything was on my "okay" list. :) I really hope this helps. :)

Hugs Susan

If your doc won't allow meat, I did the same as Susan, but without the meat. The Fiber and the Protein in the beans really helped keep me full, plus it felt like I was having a "real" meal.