Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone ever cheat in first month?

1 week today was banded. I ate a 3 musketeers and a peach. all went down fine. I have no fill currently.

I want to go to Wendy's for chilli or taco bell or something. These shakes are killing me and to know I have to go another 3 weeks kills me even more. Just curious if anyone else has "cheated"?

Derek

To be quite honest I did cheat way before I should have been off liquids, although I don't recommend it. I ate chicken and pizza once. Some things didn't go down right causing me pain all day the next day and fear that I might have ripped the stiches or caused my band to slip. I really beat myself up about it because after all I went through a lot to get the surgery and it costs many thousands of dollars, not to mention the potential health ramifications(an emergency surgery or lose the band). Eventually I felt better but I was really scared. I had a very difficult time with the liquid diet and quickly graduated myself (against medical advice) to soft foods in order to not totally destroy the band due to being ravenously hungry and eating something too fibrous. Actually Chili was one of those foods that I ate. It's soft and and you can chew until it's mushy. I stay as far away from sweets as possible. Not that I don't eat them, but I try to find alternatives. Try a special K Protein Bar instead of a 3 musketeers...after you are healed.

I am going to really try not to sound critical here, but - what were you thinking? I am also one week out today and I am still straining my cream of mushroom soup! I can't imagine spending up to $17K on a weight loss surgery and then eating a candy bar one week out.

Your stomach is NOT ready to be digesting such things. Yeah, it may have gone down for you, but you don't know what's going on down there in the stomach. Let's hope you didn't do something to cause it to slip.

Personally, I think you need to look at why you chose a candy bar? And now, thinking about fast food?

Why did you get banded? Maybe write yourself a letter and remind yourself why you did it.

Good luck to you, Derek. I wish you all the best, but gotta be honest with you. It irritates me that there are people who would give their left arm to be able to afford to be banded and would follow their Dr's instructions to a T, and here you are eating candy bars and thinking of fast food one week out.

You need to follow your doctors advice, and my guess is you are not supposed to be eating solids yet! It may go down, but your stomach will churn to digest the food and can rip your stitches out. You need to give your band time to heal, so that it is securely in place before you graduate to solid foods.

I also agree with Bunz - what are you thinking? candy bar, fast food? ?? This is a time to heal and switch to a healthy lifestyle - which does not include fast food! Remember why you got the band, what your goals are and what you need to do to get there!

Having to be on liquids and mushies for a couple of weeks is not fun, we all had to do it, but we survived and you will too. Go to the food and nutrition threads and look at ideas for protien shakes, there are things you can add (and blend really well) to make them a bit more palatable.

You can do this! Stick with the program and the weight will keep coming off! Good Luck!

honestly if we could all follow dr's directions we would never have been in this situation in the first place.

why a candy bar? Cause like everything else that caused this situation, it is an addiction that isn't cured over night and to go w/o carbs or sweets in weeks and not being able to take all my meds is causing an overload and I am going crazy.

honestly if we could all follow dr's directions we would never have been in this situation in the first place.

why a candy bar? Cause like everything else that caused this situation, it is an addiction that isn't cured over night and to go w/o carbs or sweets in weeks and not being able to take all my meds is causing an overload and I am going crazy.

Don't go crazy! Have you tried the SF Fudgsicles or SF Popsicles? They are flavorful, just a few calories and would be easy on your stomach. Do check out the food & nutrition recipe section, I think you will find some good ideas to make the Protein shakes a bit easier to live with. I also like this site: theworldaccordingtoeggface Tons of great ideas, including turning your Protein powder into an ice cream - yummmm!

I hear ya on the carbs - my addiction - it was hard, but I worked through it. I am almost one year out and I have not had any bread - I refuse to eat it again, because I know if I start with a little here and there, it will sneak right back into my diet.

When you feel hungry - make sure you have been drinking your Water, it will help with fullness, but find something else to do to distract yourself from wanting to eat. It is a very hard habit to break, but you can do it!

Edited by krtork

Duh! need we say more?:biggrin:

Duh! need we say more?:biggrin:
Why in the hell did you go through this procedure to sabatoge yourself?

Don't be critical, we are all here to learn how to be better. This is a process, and a long, lifelong one at that. Please ignore rude people. Being one week out is extremely hard, you have so many emotions that you are working through, and old habits are HARD to break. Maybe you should try to find another outlet instead of eating, at least that is what I am still trying to do. Most people on here are also here for support so just ignore the rude people, apparently they have never had an addiction and are too ignorant to have empathy. Hang in there I promise it gets better!

P.S. get no sugar added, reduced fat icecream and add hersheys sugar free Syrup and lite or no sugar added cool whip YUMMY!!

Why in the hell did you go through this procedure to sabatoge yourself?

why did you sabotage urself to get this procedure?

OK so I get it, it is very hard to change our thinking to match our new lifestyle. Is this a hard time yes, but think about the consequences you may have to deal with later. This time is all about healing and those foods churn the stomach, you don't feel it, but it happens. This can loosen your stitches and cause slippage further down the road. You cared enough about yourself to invest in this journey, so care enough to call your doctor and let them know! Work with them in many cases menus are adjusted to deal with the hunger, you don't know till you ask. I wish you the very best in this journey. Please have faith in your doctor and yourself. Read these boards they have lots of great ideas for shaken shake up (hee, hee). Anyway we are here to support you let us know how we may help.

I did tell my Dr. yesterday cause I was having some pains under my left rib. He said it was good that I had the chilli and was able to keep it down.

I would take Wendy's Chili and blend it up in the blender so that it was easier on me. My doctor told me I could do that when I got to pureed food. It's hard, and I was a sweets fanatic. I stopped eating sweets period! And about a week after I didn't crave them at all. I have my fat free sugar free pudding and sugar free fudgcicles to get me over my sweet tooth and now I very rarely crave anything sweet. I will admit I did cheat a few times just on moving up to the next stage of foods before I really should have. If I never see broth again that will be fine by me. I had surgery June 12, 2009 and I still will not eat red meat; just kinda scares me some. Keep on keepin' on and just SAY NO to the candy bars. I know it's rough but you can do it just like we all have. :)

Derek

I don't want to jump all over you and tell you that you are doing things wrong but......chilli one week out????? And your Dr said it was okay??? It is very important to follow the liquid died for the sake of your band. This could cause all sorts of problems. Please think before you eat. The Protein shakes can be made to taste better just get some new ideas for them. It is tought to stay on liquids but it is worth it in the long run.

Come on you can do it!!!!!

Bernadette