Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diagnosed with Gallstones 5 months post-op....WTH??

Okay, so I am five months post op. Lost 62 pounds as of today. Yay! Right? Well, yea, but, sigh.....

My friggin PCM orders some labs done. Check. She calls me telling me my liver enzymes are abnormal. Says, "go have a liver ultrasound." Sigh. Okay, I go. She then calls me, asks if I am having pain. NOPE. Well, she says, "you have an abnormal test result." What is wrong, I ask. She won't tell me, only says we will discuss it at my next appt in FIVE FRIGGIN weeks!!! Yea, need I mention I hate this witch? Panic sets in. :thumbup:

So the next day I have an appt with my bariatric surgeon, standard fill check. I go in, tell him the story, he can't believe she called me and worried me and then wouldn't tell me anything re: the results. He hops up, goes to his office, and accesses my test results. I luuuuuuv my surgeon. He comes back and says I have gallstones. Say WHAT? He says it is of particular concern since I am a bandster, but since I have had no symptoms, he isn't really concerned right now. Tells me to keep an eye out for pain and other symptoms. People live with them all of the time. Check! I decide I will be one of those people! :crying:

Murphy's law being what it is, two days later I have the worst pain of my life, google it, and sure nuff, gallstone attack. Since that first one, I have had 3 attacks. I know I have to tell my surgeon, but damn, I really don't want another friggin surgery!!!!!!!!! Anyone else had this happen?

Hugs,

Shelly

I had my gallbladder removed in 2003. It was NBD. Better than the attacks. Rapid weight loss is often the culprit.

Okay, I read that like 65% of people still have symptoms after their gallbladder is removed and can develop stones in the bile ducts? Correct?

RestlessMonkey, any problems since surgery? How long was your recuperation compared to the lapband surgery? Was it a laparoscopic surgery? Comparable painwise to the LapBand surgery??

Gads, I really don't want to do this!!! :smile2:

Ok God's honest truth I have NEVER heard that. Quite the opposite in fact. Most people have gall bladder surgery, recover, and never look back. All the gall bladder does is concentrate some bile to aid in fat digestion. It's VERY LITTLE and people don't usually miss it. As my surgeon told me, I'd have plenty of bile to take care of things without the gall bladder. So don't worry about that.

I have had NO issues whatsover. No food I couldn't eat. No pain, No phantom symptoms NOTHING. Seriously my surgery was SO fascinating (the OR looked nothing like I expected, for example) that it was one reason I went to nursing school. And yes before the surgery I was petrified to death. It ended up not only being a big non issue, but kind of interesting to me.

As I've posted, recupertation was even easier than lap band...no pain, and a WAY shorter post op diet! My surgeon (I can't remember exactly now cuz it was Oct 2003 when I had it removed) had me follow a specific diet for a short time post op to give things time to settle down. I did as he asked and never had an issue, problem, etc. So do what your doc says and you'll be fine!

God bless you Monkey!! Thank you so much for the info!! I was really freaking out about the possiblility of another surgery!

What about the surgery made you want to become a nurse? (I think that is totally fabulous, btw!)

Again, thank you for easing my mind. Now I can call my doctor and update him on the sitch w/out having a panic attack at the thought! :smile2:

Hugs,

:smile2: Glad I could help. I think I just realized that being interested in what they were doing and why helped me not be scared out of my mind. (as I had told my husband, "People DIE in hospitals. I'm not going there" LOL) It was fascinating and I was blessed to have medical personnel all down the line who explained everything to me. That didn't convince me, but it got me thinking about it! :lol:

No one wants surgery (well I should say most mentally fit people only want it in dire circumstances!) but you'll do great, feel great, never miss that gall bladder! Keep us updated, ok? :crying:

I had my gallbladder out with my appendix. For me it was a easy surgery. I went on a family vacation to Disneyland 1 week to the date of my surgery. I rode the rides and walked all day. Get it out, You will feel better. good luck

You know, as far as I've heard, if you have gastric bypass they always remove the gallbladder, so I wonder why it isn't common to do that with lap band patients. I suppose because if you can avoid it, why not?

I had my gallbladder out in Sept 2007 after spending most of the summer on a great meal delivery plan that allowed me to lose weight to quickly. I remember having small pain sometimes and then the day of my birthday I went to Friday's and had jack daniels ribs (delish!). That night I woke up with terrible chest pressure that did not dissipate for several hours.

I made an appointment immediately and they ruled out heart disease, and zeroed in on my gallbladder.

I can't eat Popeye's spicy chicken anymore:frown: because it creates a dripping, burning sensation when the gallbladder used to be... literally feels like a hole could burn through my skin.

Anyway, many peeps live without it and if you have pain, you will probably need it removed eventually. Check all avenues.

It is shorter recovery than lap band. You will continue to secrete bile and you still can get stones in the bile ducts. (from what I've read.)

Gallstones

How do gallstones come back after gall bladder removal surgery? - by Angela Pollock - Helium

Hope everything went well for you with your surgery! :ohmy:

My pcp finally decided it was time to quit fooling around and get the dang thing taken out. So next week I have a pre-op appt. YAY.

Gotta say, I am not looking forward to this at all. But, I guess I gotta do what I gotta do!! :biggrin:

Hugs,

I had my gallbladder out in 1989. Back then I was cut open diagonally across from under my left breast to my right side (about a 12" incision)!! (now I hear they usually cut an opening no bigger than your largest incision for your band).

I haven't had any problems with food since my surgery, I was/am able to eat anything without problems.

I had my gallbladder out on Aug 6, 2009 and was banded two weeks later on the 21st. to me both were the same. i felt fine by the 3rd day of each surgery.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to help you guys out with some things about the gallbladder.... I havent had surgery yet (sept 2!!!!) or had issues with my gallbladder but I am in medical school so this is what I know!

There are lots of situations after extreme weightloss where people have to have their gallbladder taken out. When you are eating terrible your gallbladder is taking care of all of the fat that is piling up in your system. Then you cut fat almost completley out of your diet and your gallbladder no longer has to work. So you get that build up and it becomes almost stagnant if you will. This is why it is good for you to have healthy fats in your diet such olive oil, Beans and nuts! Keeps your gallbladder working at a healthy rate.

ALSO when it comes to gallbladder people are getting them taken out at a very rapid weight when it is not always nescessary. Only about 10 percent of people with gallbladder issues actually need them taken out. If you get your diet working right adding those healthy fats lots of times he gallbladder takes care of itself (the body was meant to heal itself)

And for those of you who might think you have symptoms..... there is a stabbing pain that usually referes thru your sternum (almost) and more importantly your right shoulder blade. It comes mostly after a heavy fat meal or alcohol. Esp. if you have been eating very little fat and then you load up on some fat! So talk to your doc about some alternative things you can do before you jump into surgery! Like I said most of it can be done naturally with out surgery! Good luck everyone!!!!