Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beer drinkers come here please!!!

Hi everyone! I am a Miller Lite girl and I understand that after getting the lap-band, you can no longer have beer because of the carbonation. I was just curious as to what previous beer drinkers have switched to instead of beer when they want a drink?

I drink Vodka with sugar free Cranberry juice and a slice of lime (a Cape Cod) and sometimes wine.

Not a big drinker but beer was definitely my drink of choice, pre-band. Budweiser for me. The biggest inconvenience is going to concerts, sporting events etc. Beer and soda are pretty much all that is offered besides Water. I haven't missed the beer too much though until recently; DH still drinks and I was gathering up cans for recycling and I crushed a can and the smell wafted into my face. I was actually drooling for a beer...it has been at least a year and a half since I had one and I was honestly tempted to see how one would go down.

I loved Miller Chill (the limey beer) and really missed it at first. Now I drink mostly margarittas and sometimes wine. Wine gives me a headache, so I stick mostly to my ritas. I've discovered Patron Tequila, YUM!

Like Jodi said, it does suck at events. We were at an outdoor concert this past weekend and they had wine, but it sucked. So I got a beer, first one in almost 2 years, and I sipped at it and did OK. It was draft, so it wasn't as bubbly as a can or bottle might have been.

I still take sips from DH's beer when we go out, but I wouldn't risk the bubbles to do it on a regular basis, not to mention the calories. We've had too many celebrations lately, time for me to take it down a notch. lol

Best of luck to you!

Thanks ladies! I know it's going to be hard to give up my miller lite, but I rather lose weight and be healthy. The vodka cranberry and margaritas sound good!

My doc is of the nothing is off limits side...With that said, he says anything in moderation or as an exception is ok. He clarifies that as long as it stays as the exception and not the rule, that is fine. We specifically talked about beer!

With that said, I have not tried beer yet, but intend to after I get through the first five weeks.

I have had a few beers since banding but they aren't worth it to me. They hurt more than they taste good. Since I liked beer, I just don't drink much. Most of the mixed drinks I liked are either fru fru frozen things with 1000 calories (like pina coladas) or they were things like vodka tonic w/lime and tonic is...carbonated!

I don't like wine at all, God knows I have tried to like it...so I just don't drink much.

How pathetic. I guess if I just HAD to drink I could make do w/a bottle of tequila and some lime! :biggrin:

I was a beer drinker before surgery (2 months ago) as well. My doctor said that carbonation expands your stomach. We really don't want that.

I had 2 glasses of wine at a swim party a couple of weeks ago. I won't do that very often, but it was pretty good for a change. GB

I was a PBR drinker until a couple months ago. I still go to the bar on the weekends, I just drink unsweet tea. I don't drink it during the week so it's more special to me on the weekends, if that makes any sense. If Bell's Oberon was ever made available in the Birmingham-area, then I would be drinking that, regardless of the pain. I haven't had Oberon since I moved from Michigan.

This is a problem for me as well.Most of my friends drink beer .I have not tried any yet but I was hoping I could get by with having one once in awhile.I usually have it on ice so it is watered down,and maybe allowing for that carbonation to decrease. I know I have an occasion comming up soon,I hope I make the right choice and stay clear of beer!!

I thought giving up the beer was gonna be my biggest challenge.. Coors Light was my best friend, but... its Margaritaville now (no salt). Yummy!:)

I was a very big beer drinking as was not unusual to drink about 4 of the 24 oz bud light. Bu8t since the surgery gave that up as well as the Diet coke,Which was reallly hard,Manilu due to the carbination. It has made a differnece and has helped in the weight loss as well as eating more healthy so what the DR'S said was correct.Sean

I, too, am pre-op and an avid "bud lime" fan. Although I don't drink a lot - I'm more concerned about the ability to give up the bud lime than I am about giving up any other food. Is that odd??

Being the height of the summer season and the host of a lot of pool parties, it's on my mind a lot....but I think having the surgery in early fall and then going through the first stages of post-op in the winter, it won't be such an issue. But, next spring/summer will certainly be a test!

Bud light with lime here but havn't since surgery. I went for a fill last Thurs and I've lost 8 in around my middle. I really think it has a lot to do with no beer. Wine aplenty now. (grin):thumbdown:

Hi everyone! I am a Miller Lite girl and I understand that after getting the lap-band, you can no longer have beer because of the carbonation. I was just curious as to what previous beer drinkers have switched to instead of beer when they want a drink?

I am overweight because I eat big meals and drink too much beer. I can drink 8-10 bottles of buds a night. I am due to have surgery and a band fitted sometime in Sept/Oct. Now I am sure this will stop the big meal eating but I worry I will just carry on the beer drinking as before.

I am going to try being strong and stop drinking completely, but if I give in to temptation, I hope it makes me feels sick otherwise the band will not work for me.

I hate to say it, but I am 5 1/2 months out from surgery and I still spend a lot of time at the bar, at parties and so on - but my habits have definately changed because of the band. I often drink Water or iced tea - my social life is MUCH cheaper now! - and I bring my own mixers. But unfortunatrely I can drink beer now. Not straight out of a bottle or can tho, and not more than a couple - it REALLY fills me up! I'd rather have vodka with diet cranberry juice.

But when in Rome . . . . at race parties, at the track and such, I pour it over a cup of ice from a couple of feet above - takes most of the carbonation out. All my friends know I have a band so they get a kick out of flattening my beers for me! I also discovered that I can drink a nice draft guinness . . . . I didn't need to know that! Only 1 of them though, too filling.

Never ever drink straight out of a bottle or can that's just been opened tho, it comes right back out though my nose, and it stings like hell!