Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight or just need to figure this out better...

I had my first fill on July 8th so it's been a couple weeks.

Over the past couple weeks, I didn't have many issues. I mean, I could feel it was more restricted, and I was being very careful. But I have a pretty good routine going at home, access to the foods I know will be OK, etc.

This week, I'm on a business trip. This means I was subject to lunch being provided at business meetings and dinners out with colleagues. Stuff like that. I've been careful, I haven't over-eaten, I've tried to take really small bites and chew really well, etc. But I've had a few minor incidents of getting stuck.

And then this morning, I had a major one. I ate Breakfast in the hotel and I got stuck. I tried to wait for it to resolve before I had to leave - I wanted a long time, until 8:45. My meetings started at 9. Finally, I got into my rental car and drove to the office but I sat in my car in the parking garage waiting for it to either go down or up.

It finally resolved at 9:30. I was very late for my workshop (that I was supposed to be leading).

Sigh... that was stressful. Really stressful. I'm sure the stress didn't help. I need to be way more careful and only eat "sure things" when I'm traveling. Also, my band feels tighter this week than it did last week. I wonder why.

Just venting, I guess. I need to research the best things to do when you're stuck - lie down? Stretch? Be still? Be active? Does anyone know?

Linda, I just got back late last night from vacation in vegas. I had a really hard time with food. every time I ate I got stuck. I chewed chewed chewed and still it happened...even on things like scrambles eggs and soft fish. I haven't been able to get a fill yet (still waiting for another appoinment to see if my port has flipped over) I just dont know why I wasn't able to eat really for a week. luckily I brought some slimfasts and that helped a bit. Hope things go better for you!

I wonder if flying had an impact on your bands? We were banded at about the same time, I have had 1 fill and I have restriction but have noticed when I am congested i am tighter (darn alergies), I also tried steak tonight for the first time since my fill, did not go well. It came back up, I dont seem to get too stuck as if it feels stuck it ejects pretty quickly. But like you guys I am still trying to figure things out. I had a business lunch this week too and I was scared spitless to eat.. luckily they had sandwich trays where one big tray of bread, 1 big tray of all kinds of meats, cheeses and lettuce & tomatoe so I made a tomatoe, meat, cheese sandwich and chew chew chew and it went ok.

Flying might well have been the issue if you're feeling suddenly tighter.

I have lived in fear of this happening - so many times you need to be somewhere, and I am a teacher also, the worst thing that could possibly happen is that I get stuck right at the end of lunchtime and cant go back to my class! Even worse, I'm doing relief teaching at the moment, so strange schools and staff I dont know, how embarrassing would that be.

Yet in almost four years, I've been stuck only twice where I needed to be somewhere and simnply could not dislodge whatever it was and had to let it bide its own sweet time.

If I'm under pressure liek that, I plain dont eat. I know that I cant hurry myself up, so its safer to avoid it alltogether. Overall, I eat really well and regularly so missing the odd meal doesnt worry me.

Oh, Linda, I'm sorry to hear this. I was wondering how you were doing on your business trip. I have found that walking helps me when I'm stuck. I found that tip on this forum somewhere.

Also, I always have with me Papaya Enzyme tablets. Chew a few of those when you are stuck and they will help the food dissolve. . . especially meat. You can get them at Target, Walmart, most drugstores, etc. It's about $4.99 for a bottle. And they taste yummy! :D

Also, many people tend to be more swollen in the morning than later in the day. My surgeon's asst. said it happens because of lying down asleep overnight. I know that is very true for me. I cannot eat first thing in the morning. I often wait a few hours.

HTH!

Well, I made it through the rest of the trip OK. Whew.

It's going to be an adventure because I have 5 weeks of travel in the next 10 weeks. Yikes. I'll be paying close attention over the coming week to see how things are and try to determine if it's too tight or if I'm just not eating carefully enough. Wish me luck.

Also - does one's cycle (period) impact tightness at all? I mean, it seems like a dumb question but what do I know. LOL

Yes, yes, and yes! Here are the things that make me too tight to eat w/out getting stuck!

+mornings.

+being upset. EVERY time. This is a good thing, as I can't stuff my face when upset anymore!

+eating with other chatty people - seriously. I talk & don't pay attention.

+Aunt Flo - tighter during my period & just before - same time I have PMS symptoms

+Being away from home - camping, vacations, other peoples' houses. I don't know if this is because I'm "stressed" because I am out of my routine, or because I'm being too social, or ??

Also, I do not feel the full impact of a fill until 1-2 weeks after I've gotten it.

I try to always have my "emergency cooler" with appropriate yogurt, string cheese, etc. If you have to resort to liquids to be able to eat, you are too tight for sure!

OK, it was morning, I was on Day 2 of my cycle, and I was away from home. Add to that I felt very stressed once it started (and I already knew that wouldn't help, I was TRYING to relax), and I suppose that explains it.

I haven't had a major stuck issue since, but I've had a few minor ones.

Out of town again next week so I will be VERY careful.

You are doing totally great Linda!! I love your multiple goals, they really help me to stay motivated! I make them with my weekly support group, and I have not missed one yet :-) My next one is to have lost 100 lbs. by my first 1/2 marathon, which is August 30th . . . looks like I'll make that one too! Love my band. . .

Little worried about flying in a couple of weeks after reading your post tho! It's right after I have a fill too, so I guess I'll just do liquids only for 6 hours before I fly???

I've had that the past few days. I had my secondfill 2 weeks ago friday, And suddenly I can not eat anything. I attempted steak that I cooked myself last night. Even chewing until my jaw hurt didn't help. it just seemed like everything I made for dinner, including the noodles came back up, what started as PB'ing simply turned into vomiting, and it's still going on this morning. I didn't know about the stress thing, But during that time of the month I do notice I'm just not hungry. Same thing as Ann, I can not eat until at least 3 hours after I've woken up, I can however drink coffee- SLOWLY.

Hey, Sarah, I'm afraid you need to have a small unfill. Sounds like you are way too tight if you are vomiting that much. You are describing all the warning signs my surgeon & nurse have described to me as reasons to call immediately (even on weekends & at night). You don't want to damage your esophagus, your stomach, or your band! Too much vomiting could cause a lot of swelling in your stomach, and you'd have to have your band completely unfilled until the swelling went down. (At least that's what they told me!) So, don't hesitate. It's not worth the pain you're going through, and certainly not worth jeopardizing the good work you've already done!

:blink:

Well, so far, cheese and crackers have stayed down.... the babybell spreadable swiss cubes (FF) (6) on multi grain crackers (11 of them)