Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Confession

Clevergrrly, pbing is not something you just do on purpose. Something is stuck and you body reacts and you can help it or wait it out. Sometimes you eat someting and you don't want to stop eating it even after you feel the full feeling.

Donali.....DUCK!

RENEBENE.... I think it is ...just like that. ppiiitttt

Teresa - WHEW! You just missed me... :)

My nutritionist also recommended the chew and spit thing. I never tried it (on purpose!) - once something went into my mouth it was going down, unless by the time I'd finished chewing I realized there really was absolutely no place for it to go if I swallowed. Then I'd have to spit it out. But that was rare, and never intentional. She said when she told me this that she "didn't want to give me another eating disorder" with her advice. I don't think it would be considered a "disorder" unless it became compulsive or in some other way caused you harm...

And I think most everyone at one time or another has been "stuck," and after a reasonable amount of time to try and let the thing pass on its own, realized that it was never going to go down, so it must come up... It's certainly happened to me, but I was always sore after, and looked forward to being on liquids only for a while. :(

Like I was saying ummmmm...ppittt

I had to do it yesterday because there was nowhere for it to go for sure then I just kept slimming then it finally went down. I can't make myself pb. I hate the feeling although it is better then old fashion barfing. Earllllllllll

I wasn't saying don't talk about it... just wanted to know. It seems like PBing is common, and all I'm really concerned with is... can I avoid it in general? I'm still in this phase of deciding on what doc to use, not whether or not to get the band. I will do this, I just want to have as much amo as I can going in, so I appreciate your bringing this up. Sorry if I offended you.

Clevergrrly, (Clever name B)

We are actually talking about 3 different things here.

All this stuff is hard to understand until you experience band life.

1) A full-on PB is an INCREDIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE experience and I'm sure every one of us does our best to avoid having them. In general by following all the eating "rules" you can avoid having them--but sometimes they just sneak up. My first one was with cottage cheese--not something I would even think could get stuck. They involve gagging, sliming, and the worst heartburn you can imagine. Do a search for PB threads, there are several. I have only had 3 of this kind of PBs and the "sessions" lasted about 20-30 minutes, which is typical although they can go on longer.

2) The second kind of PB is something I will now call an DU--Diliberate Urp. (How's that guys?) A DU is when you get that full--almost, kinda stuck, feeling shortly after or while eating and you go to the sink and (at least this is how I do it) kinda flex your gag muscles and force the food out. It's really nothing like vomiting to me. (The food is not the least digested.) It does not involve the lower abdominal muscles at all.

3) The third thing we are talking about I'll call C&S (Chew & Spit) where you just chew the food and spit it out to fulfill some need to CHEW or (this is more likely for me) finish eating something you have it in your mind to eat. I have found when I fix half a turkey or tuna sandwhich and I get that full feeling I just CANNOT seem to not finish HALF a sandwhich. Sandwhiches are something that seems to bring out this behavior in me.

Anyway, hope that clarifies things a little.

I think there's some confusion here. There's a huge difference between a PB, an URP, a vomit, food being stuck and spitting food out. For me, an URP happens when food just sits in the back of my throat. A PB is when I can feel the food trapped painfully in my esophagus (I can't make food URP up to PB, a PB happens on its own.) A vomit is when the food already passed into the stomach and has to make its way back up through the small band, then out. Kare, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are just urping stuff back out, like a burp with chunks? (haha, talk about gross!)

I don't think this borders anywhere on bulimic behavior since the food never hit the stomach to begin with. I could be wrong, but my opinion is the only right one (ducking to avoid flying shoes.) Bulimia happens after we've eaten, swallowed, then force the food out of our stomachs again. Donali, I'm not sure what you went through, because I never have pain after an urp. Then again, I'm an alien. But I have been sore after a true PB.

We are all in the same boat here, and most of us have secrets that we're too humiliated to admit. Having a band sucks no matter which way you slice it, because none of us would need a band if we could eat like normal people. I risk slipping my band all the time, but I'm not going to hide in the closet and pretend I don't. I'm not proud of it, and I wish I didn't do it. But honesty has to count for something.

i think re: it being a bulemic behavior depends on WHY your doing it. if your doing so that you dont ingest the calories then yeah sounds like bulemia...(regardless of if it goes down or not)

if your doing it because of the pain or your pouch is full then i dont think it is. i know when i was really tight i could take a sip of a shake and that would start filling my pouch with 'slime' once it was full i knew i was either gonna forcefully PB and everything would come out or i could lean over the sink and *try* to burp (or flex those muscles) and all the slime would come out. if i waited for the pb i would lose the slime but also the sips of the protien shake. to me it was less stress on my band to lean and burp or DU (lol).

i always worried that maybe i was making it a habit. like the easy thing to do if i got in a little pain. i dont think i was. i am not doing it anymore, my fill level now is resticting me and making me chew but i havent thought about the urps since my last unfill. (i have since been refilled)

bobalooey,

i dont think anyones intentionally *trying* to do any damage. my dr told me that i could have any food i tolerate so how would you know what you tolerate without some experementing.

michelle

hey all... thanks for the clarification. got it and i appreciate the help. B)

i seriously feel like i've offended some people with my clearly stupid questions. again, i apologize.

(ps - glad you like the name kare, love yours too... everytime i see it, i think of the Care Bear Stair... I loved those cuties when i was a kid). :D

Dry heaves, OMG, I did that once and I thought my band had turned inside out. Now, like Lisa said, if I get that feeling in the back of my throat, I'll URP in a heartbeat to keep from hurling, because if I wait, I know that's what will happen, a PB from below the band....vomit, yuk.

i seriously feel like i've offended some people with my clearly stupid questions. again, i apologize.

(ps - glad you like the name kare, love yours too... everytime i see it, i think of the Care Bear Stair... I loved those cuties when i was a kid). :D

Well I sure hope you don't think you offended me. In fact, I'm pretty hard to offend. Those of us who tend to state our opinions forcefully (no naming names!) generally have pretty thick skins.

I appreciate how considerate everyone on LBT is for the most part, but no need to pull punches or anything else w/ me.

And I hate to admit it, but I totally pre-date Care Bears.

B)

Hi Kare -- Well, I'm out and proud. I URP. And I had the worst PB ever last weekend due to a not-chewed-quite-enough bit of overcooked hamburger. . . I was driving down a multi-lane expressway when I felt that telltale "stuck" feeling and pulled over to the nearest exit. Unfortunately the icky thing decided to dislodge itself a few yards from the gas station, and I was without my usual plastic bag or cup, so like an idiot I stopped the car and just let it fly -- into my lap. About a cup of slime and a tiny piece of hamburger. I slowly made my way to the gas station, as the slime-blob worked its way down the car seat. By the time I parked, my crotch was covered with that PB slime we all know so well. You can imagine the looks from the other customers as I held my head high and sidled off to the ladies' room like John Wayne!

I PB (rarely). I URP and stop eating (more frequently, maybe a couple times a week). I urp and keep eating (on occasion). No lectures needed -- I know it's not good bandster behavior. Those of us who do this sometimes are not necessarily ignorant, just human. Count me in, Kare.

Okay, now I know I'm normal (imagine that?) But Vines, I have never, ever dry heaved. Wow, that sounds painful. When I have a true PB, it's not something I can control; it's painful and horrible and no matter how hard I try to urp, nothing but slime comes up; when I'm in the middle of a PB, I try swallowing air to force out burps hoping the trapped thing will dislodge, then eventually the slime comes up. The best description is like a cat coughing up a fur ball. Takes a few heaves, then the slimy blobs.

Zoe, I have an enormous amount of sympathy for you over that horrible incident. I think I'm wearing one of your blouses... did you ever PB on anything you gave me (trying not to laugh to avoid a PB.) All in love, Baby!

As far as being offened, well that's just funny. As a matter of fact, I dare you to try to offend some of us! I'm on the list of Top Offenders here at LBT, so like Kare said, we've got thick skin!

DeLarla, those clothes I sent were all PB-free! But if you want some "broken-in" items, please let me know. . . always glad to help. The pants in question are a tall size!