Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i myself have been very successful with band. i've lost 60 pounds in the 5 months since my surgery. but everyone is different. my suggestion is to do your research. but to also make an attempt to seek out and discuss all the types of surgery with people that have had all the types of surgery. and not just people that are in there 1st year post op which some kind of consider a honeymoon phase. but people that are actually living with the long term affects of there decisions. hte online research is very helpful and informative. but so is sitting down and having a long talk with someone whos ben banded, sleeved or had the bypass fora signifigant amount of time. thats one of the tools i used in making my decision.and not every surgery is the right surgery for everyone.and if you arent committed anyone of them can fail. and there are risks and complications possible with any of them.

i love my band. so far its been great for me. it may be just as good for you. just do your research and you will come to the right decision for you,

The band can cause acid reflux and esophageal erosion and I have never heard of it preventing it. I am one of the people who got the band and suffered from horrible reflux to the point of only being able to sleep in a chair. I also had an intolerance to a lot of foods.

I agree that it's important for people to research all forms of weight loss. For restriction, there's the band and the sleeve. For those who need restriction and malabsorption, there's RNY and DS. I revised to VSG three and half months ago, have lost over 40 pounds, and knew right away THAT was the surgery I should have had originally.

I would have loved for the band to work for me but it turned out to be toxic and severely restricted my life for the worse. I have 2 friends who did great with the band and continue to do so. It's about finding the right "fit" for the right person.

I think that EVERYONE who has had the Lap Band installed and had it fail would have hoped that it would work for them. I know that this was the case for me. But, it didn't, and when I had my GB I realized (much as you have with the sleeve) that it was what I SHOULD have had to begin with.

Elizabeth, you had your band put in back in '06, and while the VSG was "known" then, I don't think ANY insurance would have covered it back then...most insurance still won't cover it. I'm not even sure you would have heard much about it back then, so it couldn't have been presented as an option to you (correct me if I'm wrong about that). But, you eventually found it and discovered that it was what YOU needed. :thumbup:

I, on the other hand, had my band put in when bands were still fairly new, and the RNY WAS an option, and it was "slightly " suggested to me (that's a whole different story...:D), but I didn't listen, and I didn't do the research that I am encouraging people to do now. People shouldn't have to go through multiple surgeries to arrive at the best one for them. The information is OUT there, there are plenty of resources available to help people make their choice. There is also a lot of MISINFORMATION out there. It's a minefield, actually, and it's tough to sort it all out.

The sleeve would not be an option for me, because It's not what I need. But, I DO hope that more people will at least CONSIDER the sleeve, because it's one of the best options out there right now, for people who need the restriction component. And the appetite reduction element is a HUGE plus. Lots of people can't get past the idea of having part of their stomach removed, though. Even when THAT'S what it might take to solve the entire issue. It's small price to pay for the outcome....I think most most "Sleeved" people would agree.

HH

I asked my surgeon if I would be able to exercise and play sports and stuff with the band. He told me I would be able to play pro football if I wanted to and it wouldn't hurt the band at all. Hope this helps to answer your weight lifting question!

There is some good information here. I appreciate everyones post... especially the details. food for thought. I'm looking into what type surgery to have as well.

But, the statement that the LB is a better choice than the GB simply because of the weight of the Patient is just plain wrong.

HH _______________

HH EXCUSE ME FOR STATING MY OPINION JUST AS YOU CLEARLY ARE AND WE ARE NOT BERATING YOU FOR IT!!!

Sabertooth just do what you want to do we are all giving you our opinion's. Good luck hon whichever procedure you decide!!! We will be here to support you on your decision and not berate you for it.

I'm curious....I thought banding was supposed to help acid reflux. When did you develop that? I haven't taken my nexium for 4 nights and haven't missed it. However, only on liquids still. Wondering if it will return with food.

Prior to banding I had acid reflux bad. I also had a hiatal hernia that my doc repaired. Since I got the LB done I've only had to take my medicine about 4 times and i've been banded going on 6 months now.

But, the statement that the LB is a better choice than the GB simply because of the weight of the Patient is just plain wrong.

HH _______________

HH EXCUSE ME FOR STATING MY OPINION JUST AS YOU CLEARLY ARE AND WE ARE NOT BERATING YOU FOR IT!!!

Sabertooth just do what you want to do we are all giving you our opinion's. Good luck hon whichever procedure you decide!!! We will be here to support you on your decision and not berate you for it.

There is a difference between Fact and opinion. I'm pointing out a fact. You're expressing an opinion.

HH

I agree with you. I'm coming to this site to try to learn as much as I can, since I'm considering the band. I don't enjoy all this arguing.

HH-

Sometimes you need to sit back and read your posts before you send them. Going off on people for their OPINIONS is not productive.

I have read many of your posts and you seem to be getting more and more aggressive lately.

I appreciate everyone's opinion on here about the band- I came to this site to get info to supplement the info my doctor gave to me. To see what "real life" was for people banded. I got mine on July 16th and have lost 19.5lbs so far. I feel that this is the right choice for me but I researched for over 2 years between this and the bypass. I didn't like the surgical risks (5 times higher than the lapband), or the complications associated with bypass in the long run or having to take supplements long term.

But those were my reasons not to get the bypass.

Take care and keep reading this site is a wealth of information.

Evie

Tell me something, Headhunter. Do you skulk around the forums to refute everything everyone says because you think you are some kind of authority on these procedures. What I said is fact, given directly to me by bypass patients, nutritionists, and doctors by the Westchester Medical Group. I'm assuming you think you know more than the doctors. You are not a doctor. You can only give your OPINION, not debate what is medical fact. DUMPING SYNDROME IS WHAT THIS SIDE EFFECT OF BYPASS SURGERY IS AND IT IS A FACT. SUGAR IS NO LONGER YOUR FRIEND ONCE YOU GET BYPASS. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

AND AS FOR FEELING NORMAL, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A BYPASS PATIENT. WHY ARE YOU ATTEMPTING TO TWIST MY WORDS.?

WHAT I THINK IS THAT YOU'RE NOT NORMAL.

:laugh::thumbup:

More Misinformation.

You are speaking this as though it were FACT.

It is NOT. NOT.

It happens to SOME people. It is not an absolute. And those who DO experience it can still have reasonable amounts of sugar without enduring what you have suggested here.

and: "I needed to feel like a normal person" ??

So....people who have Bypass are somehow not "normal"?

Unbelievable. Simply Amazing.

HH

Sabertooth,

There are some really great people on this forum with real band life experience. I sincerely hope that the experiences shared here will help you to make an informed decision in conjunction with any factual information you obtain.

Good luck with your decision and whatever journey you should decide to take.

Donna

Hi, just thought I would let you know, my surgeon doesnt consider bypass until your BMI is around 60. I was banded July 2, 2009, and have lost 25 pounds, already. I weighed 234 at 5'1" and would only consider the band, but that is everyone's own personal choice. Please look around at different Doctors, many have free seminars to ask questions, meet them and avoid an office visit fee. I hope this helps! Good luck

I too was banded on the 2nd of July and as of this morning I am down 25.2 lbs from 230 to 204.8. I have been walking every day since day 1 and got a Wii for my birthday on Saturday and have been doing the Wii Active 30 Day Personal Fitness program. It's fun, and only takes 20-30 minutes a day. I weighed 330 at my heaviest and lost the first 100 lbs through diet and exercise, but it took over 4 years to get that off. I don't want to lose too fast, as my body will look flabby. My primary doc tells me slow and steady wins the race and the more consistently I exercise in moderate amounts, the better for my overall appearance.

I think that EVERYONE who has had the Lap Band installed and had it fail would have hoped that it would work for them. I know that this was the case for me. But, it didn't, and when I had my GB I realized (much as you have with the sleeve) that it was what I SHOULD have had to begin with.

I agree. The two friends (both male) who were banded lost 180 and 155 pounds respectively. One is below goal weight and one is still losing (banded 17 months).

Elizabeth, you had your band put in back in '06, and while the VSG was "known" then, I don't think ANY insurance would have covered it back then...most insurance still won't cover it. I'm not even sure you would have heard much about it back then, so it couldn't have been presented as an option to you (correct me if I'm wrong about that). But, you eventually found it and discovered that it was what YOU needed. :thumbup:

Right again! I've been an RN for over 2 decades and went to a surgeon who a pioneer in the field, known to me for many years, and operating out of a bariatric center of excellence. I was offered the band or RNY. I needed resistance and not malabsorption and was encouraged to get the band. I knew nothing about VSG and enough about DS to know that was also not an option for me. Insurance did pay for the band.

I, on the other hand, had my band put in when bands were still fairly new, and the RNY WAS an option, and it was "slightly " suggested to me (that's a whole different story...:laugh:), but I didn't listen, and I didn't do the research that I am encouraging people to do now. People shouldn't have to go through multiple surgeries to arrive at the best one for them. The information is OUT there, there are plenty of resources available to help people make their choice. There is also a lot of MISINFORMATION out there. It's a minefield, actually, and it's tough to sort it all out.

The sleeve would not be an option for me, because It's not what I need. But, I DO hope that more people will at least CONSIDER the sleeve, because it's one of the best options out there right now, for people who need the restriction component. And the appetite reduction element is a HUGE plus.

The best way I can describe the sleeve is like a straw that opens to the pouch. The stomach is made into a tube-like structure so it takes very little food to fill you up. The feeling of restriction is instant and that's what I wanted from the band and didn't get but others do.

Lots of people can't get past the idea of having part of their stomach removed, though. Even when THAT'S what it might take to solve the entire issue. It's small price to pay for the outcome....I think most most "Sleeved" people would agree.

HH

I see many patients who have parts of their stomach/all of their stomach and/or parts of their intestines removed for a variety of reasons other than weight loss (ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, gastric cancer, etc). Those patients do fine.

With the gherlin cut out and the stomach made smaller, I am finally achieving a diet of healthy eating (no food restrictions) and feel full on small amounts of food. I don't feel hungry so I am easily able to stick to 3 meals a day and it's working. The sleeve was the answer for me but everyone needs to find their own answer based on eating patterns and medical history.

I was banded in June of 08 and lost 126 lbs in 11 mos. I've been stuck with 8 or 9 to go for the past 2 months. It was the absolute best choice for me. I didn't choose bypass for some of the reasons previously mentioned, also knew 2 people who regained right away and the idea of keeping restriction with future fills appealed to me. I work out just fine, the only workout restrictions I ever had was during the first few months post op when things were still healing. Also, my reflux was totally gone. It came back for a short period of time when I got my band too tight. A small unfill took care of that. As for the hunger, no I am not hungry if you are talking about physical hunger. However, I do suffer from head hunger sometimes, but then again, I would think, but don't know from personal experience that that could be the case with any type of WLS.