Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like you can't stop eating?

I am In my third week post op so I can eat pretty much anything. I haven't had a fill yet and I can't control myself from eating everything. Anybody else having this same issue? Any clues on what I can do to help manage this. :thumbup:

I am sorry you are struggling. I am 2 weeks post op and have definately found my hunger again. I am on full liquids and start mushies week 3. I went for my follow up yesterday and they do not want me to stray from my "step up" to regular foods so I am not eating everything yet. I started logging my foods as soon as I switched to full liquids due to the calories I would be able to consume. Try and log your foods so you can monitor the calories until you get your fill. Good luck and hang in there :thumbup:

What kinds of foods are you eating? Certain foods can trigger your appetite.

Is it due to head hunger or are you truly hungry or maybe both?

True tummy rumbling hunger is normal at this stage. You will be relying on willpower until you get a fill or two.

Head hunger is another thing. If you are not so much physically hungry as you are craving a particular type(s) of food then you need to look at what is triggering that. It could be stress, hormones or your diet. Are you craving comfort foods like breads, pastas, potato, sugars? That is what we reach for when we are stressed and the more we eat the more we crave it causing a vicious cycle.

I am the same

Surgery date June 1

I am getting my first fill on July 21st

It has been a struggle

the last 2 weeks--I have been eating like before--

I can see whay I got the surgery--this is why we got the surgery

I am trying do do the best I can while waiting to get the first fill

Nobody is perfect

this does not equate to failure

Press on and try to stay strong on Proteins and low on carbs, while also maintaining 30-45 miutes of excersise 5-7 days per week

this is what I am doing

Welcome to "Bandster Hell"! Don't worry -- just stay on your diet the best you can. This period will end as soon as you get a fill that gives you decent restriction, and you won't be so hungry anymore. Hang in there -- everyone goes through this!

Catherine

I am 1 week post op today and started mushies today as well. I made fish, eggs and potato Soup yesterday for today and I feel like I can eat the entire pot of soup, the entire fish and all the little individual egg containers I put together.

Thank you guys for your support, I think I am getting mainly head hungers for sure. I think I am starting to freak out and realize that I am actually doing this so my old habits are trying to break thru like telling myself ooohhh it is okay to eat that. One day at a time right guys?

I am In my third week post op so I can eat pretty much anything. I haven't had a fill yet and I can't control myself from eating everything. Anybody else having this same issue? Any clues on what I can do to help manage this. :wub:

Why are you trying to manage this? You are healing, not dieting or losing weight. The lapband isn't meant to be implanted then wake up with the scales going down. It's meant to be implanted, allow you to heal, and then work on your adjustments.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Eat and enjoy it while you can.

I had surgery June 12th. I stuck with the 2 week liquid, then mushies for a few days, but all along feeling as if I could eat more things with no problem. So, at dinner time, I made an effort to choose the healthiest foods that night, and eat a small serving, but yet enough to satisfy me. I avoid tough meats just because I may as well get used to it now before my first fill Aug.5th. I also try to keep watermelon cut up and in the fridge or other fresh fruits. It sure helps to stave off a sweet attack or even just a munchie attack. I am not gaining anything, but I know I have to stay on top of this or I will slowly start back with what got me here in the first place! I try to talk to myself before I eat and remind myself to think before I grab. It has helped. I do have my weak moments though. Today I bought a half a cherry pie. It is sugar free (but not fat free), so I did treat myself to a slice. I will make sure my family finishes it off tonight so that I don't. Maybe it's my cheat for the week. If I have one cheat per week and can hold it there...I will be happy! Maybe not the right way to think, but I am human and I would rather have a controlled cheat than an out of control binge.

It is so encouraging to hear that this stage is normal. I am 3 weeks postop and want to eat mostly all day. I am just trying to keep busy. I really need to make better food choices. I have not gained anyweight back yet. And If I can just maintain until my fill Aug 5 I will be too happy. For all the females maybe you can relate, that around that time boy is it even harder. Dealing with head hunger and hormones. Keep strong, Is what I tell myself daily.

I agree with you all here....In two days I will be three weeks post op anmd in the last few days, the hunger has come on strong and just tonight I was able to eat 6-8 oz of yogert whereas before I could barely get down 3-4 oz. I am feeling dicouraged and wanting to constantly eat. I have lost 14 lbs in since surgery on 6/26/09. So it hasn't been all bad.....but right now I am struggling.....is it normal to feel this hungry at three weeks post op?

I am getting banded on July 21.My surgery was switched from the 20th.I don't undestand why some people start with a liquid diet first and some don.t.Some start mushies week two others have to wait much longer.Why the difference in doctors orders.Does it make a difference in the amount of weight you need to lose? I am nervous but excited.

I am getting banded on July 21.My surgery was switched from the 20th.I don't undestand why some people start with a liquid diet first and some don.t.Some start mushies week two others have to wait much longer.Why the difference in doctors orders.Does it make a difference in the amount of weight you need to lose? I am nervous but excited.

The pre-op diet is about getting the fat off the liver, some doctors are more aggressive about this than others. It is a fear of attempting surgery and causing damage to a fatty liver.

Post-op diet is only about healing not weight loss... some doctors are more cautious than others not wanting the band to slip.

But in my opinion, although it is not the intention, the strict diet does help us to prepare for eating less and gets us on track for weightloss.