Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss

I was wondering if anyone had a problem with hair loss. I have read in other places that some have had this problem often in the 3-4 month after banding which is where I am right now. I am getting enough Protein.....at least 60 grams/day with the help of Protein drinks on some days. I have also recently doubled up on my multi Vitamin. Its not coming out in clumps or anything....but there is a marked increase in what coming out in the comb and brush. I just was wondering what I could expect in the future, and when I might seen it slow. Any insight would be helpful......thanks in advance.

Joann

Dr. Valin 07/18/03

307/256/170

i think i am experiencing this too!:D i have long hair and have alway 'shedded' alot but i its more than usual! i too have doubled my Vitamin and i have been getting 60-80 grams Protein a day! i am not even at 1/2 cup restriction yet. i think i need to get Vitamin b-12 this helps hair and nails or what about pre-natal Vitamins?? i go to the dr for fill # 4 thursday i am pretty sure this one will be it (restriction)! but i will definitally be asking about this!

i dont want to be a skinny baldie :D

just kidding! any suggestions PLEASE!

Shelly,

Thanks for the reply....I am not going to see my doc till mid December....so if you dont mind please let me know what he/she has to say. I appreciate it. Anyone else with some insight??

hair loss can follow any bodily changes, and I experienced it after both of my children were born. I shed like CRAZY for months starting at about the 4th month post-delivery both times. I couldn't believe I wasn't bald, but all that happened was that my hairline receded a tiny bit--I was the only one who noticed.

It also happened after I did Optifast back in 1990. It stopped by itself after a while. I think it always looks a lot worse in the bathtub and hairbrush than it really is, and by the time you really start to worry the shedding is ending.

I don't have any suggestions about stopping it--nothing really seems to work--but if it's getting to you a sassy new haircut can go a long way toward making you feel better about it.

i have heard that it is normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day. i dont know how true it is but i have always thought i could be a hundred hair person.

Alexandra- no sassy cuts are in my future! i have to let it grow a few more inches before i cut it. plus i like the added warmth it gives me through the winter!

i will definitaly post after i go to the and let ya'll know what they say.

If the hair loss is due to your diet, then it is a reflection of what your diet was three months ago. It is not falling out in response to what your are consuming now.

Nancy

Originally posted by shellyj

Alexandra- no sassy cuts are in my future! i have to let it grow a few more inches before i cut it. plus i like the added warmth it gives me through the winter!

Hee hee! I'm with you! I've been trying to grow my hair long since I was 5 years old, and haircuts only happen when I'm desperate. After Optifast, though, my hair had gotten pretty thin and lank, so chopping off several inches made a huge difference. It still hit my shoulders but there was a lot more bounce and movement, so no one noticed the thinness. And I actually loved it!

Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to really make a change. (Naaaahhhh...)

A sassy new short hair cut is absolutly in my future! I have hidden behind my long hair for years! I am not sure why I thought people would not notice my body's expansion if my hair was big and long is beyond me. The bigger I got the bigger my hair got! : ) Actually its not as bad as it sounds.....I have held on to if for a long time......both my fat and my long hair.....as I lose one....I am closer and closer to giving up the other too. I have always said once I lost the weight.....I would get a cute new short hair cut.....another thing I have deprived myself of all these years due to my weight! I have said that a hundred times...."when I lose the weight ...I'm gonna..." (you fill in the blank)! Why is it so many of us tie all the good things we might have in our life to weather or not "we lose the weight"? As if people dont notice my double chin cause I have long hair?? Well, its getting smaller.....and I am determined to work up the courage to cut these locks off!!! Maybe this Hair loss I am having is just the thing to make it happen......

Joann

Dr. Valin 07/18/03

307/256/170

Joann that sounds like a superb idea! If you're really brave enough to do it I'll be cheering you along the whole way. Good for you!! I'm one of those people who's had the same hairstyle since third grade (style? THAT'S an overstatement, to be sure) and I doubt a little thinning hair will give me the courage to really go for a change. But a truly thinning body just might!! :D

Who knows? Maybe six months from now we'll be comparing haircut pix!

I just started noticing a significant hairloss a couple of days ago.

But I did some research and hairloss is a normal side effect of weightloss.

I'm one of those people who's had the same hairstyle since third grade (style? THAT'S an overstatement, to be sure)

me too! i am so bad about not styling my hair. my cuts have to be wash and wear. i actually like having short hair i have a system (are you suprised??) i let my hair grow to where i have 12" to spare and cut it and donate to locks of love. then i enjoy having short hair while it grows out. it's like the best of both worlds! (as long as i dont have to style it!) this will be the 3rd donation when i cut my hair!

i do know what you mean about hiding behind your long hair though. i have never had long hair and been thin or 'smaller'!! it always works out that when i cut it i am losing or starting a new diet. my plans are for whacking it off in the spring! no more buns!

Originally posted by Rab607

So Leo....when can I expect it to stop or slow down??

LoLs, I will tell you when my hairloss has stopped!!!! :D

But from what I have read its really only a temporary thing and it will grow back!

Glad to find this thread - my hair has been coming out in what seems to be huge quantities for what feels like forever, and I was beginning to get worried! My hair is really thick and just about my only vain point, so I'd hate for it to all fall out just as I'm starting to get skinny and good-looking. :rolleyes: