Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well today was interesting for me. I had my 2 week incision check up from surgery. Went to the doctor saw another Doctor I have never met, that makes 3 different doctors in 4 visits. I was okay with that and the visit went well. We talked about the incisions which look great and talked about my first fill on Aug 5th. I never brought up the word weight and neither did the doctor. ALmost as an after thought as I am walking out, he says oh by the way "You know that only some people lose weight with the band;" I was so stunned, why would he say that, we werent't even talking about weight loss as I am only 15 days post surgery. Even though I have lost 20 pounds so far. It really surprised me because before the surgery it is oh you will do so well with this. We have had so many successful patients this will really help you. etc etc. Of couse now that I have had the surgery and they got paid the 23,800 dollars it is oh only some people are successful. I have been so bothered all day about this. I have only 15 days in on this journey and being told only some lose weight. Give me a break and 6 more months is what I wanted to say.

Wow. That is really strange for him to say that. The only thing I remember my doctor and nurse saying that was negative is to remind me that it will take time. They were right. It does take time.

Honestly, my feeling is that I hired a surgeon to do the mechanical stuff. He is a good surgeon. But, does he really know anything about losing weight? I don't think so. Most of losing weight is about what YOU DETERMINE to do. Regardless of what anyone else may say. So just blow it off as garbage and get on with what YOU HAVE DETERMINED TO DO.

What? I don't understand the purpose of him throwing that out there other than to be hurtful. Do you think you could have heard him wrong? I am trying to think of things that rhyme or sound like that in hopes of better understanding. I think I would call him out on it and seek clarification. I can honestly not think of one reason why he would say that especially in the context you describe. I hope that you get to see yet another dr. at your next visit- perhaps he will be weeded out. Keep your head up and don't give him another thought.

Why didn't you ask him why he brought it up then? He may have meant it as an odd compliment...you've lost 20, not everyone does, or some such.

We dont' know what he meant or why; you should've asked.

It's all good, don't let that kinda thing get to you, you will prob. hear other things from people close to you that might not seem 100% positive to your journey. The thing to remember is that the band does not make you lose the weight, its what you do with the band. During the months I havent lost weight I can go back to my owm behavior that caused it. It ill be the samefor you, watch what you eat, workout, workout a workout and it will all come together. I find that movement is the key.

Well today was interesting for me. I had my 2 week incision check up from surgery. Went to the doctor saw another Doctor I have never met, that makes 3 different doctors in 4 visits. I was okay with that and the visit went well. We talked about the incisions which look great and talked about my first fill on Aug 5th. I never brought up the word weight and neither did the doctor. ALmost as an after thought as I am walking out, he says oh by the way "You know that only some people lose weight with the band;" I was so stunned, why would he say that, we werent't even talking about weight loss as I am only 15 days post surgery. Even though I have lost 20 pounds so far. It really surprised me because before the surgery it is oh you will do so well with this. We have had so many successful patients this will really help you. etc etc. Of couse now that I have had the surgery and they got paid the 23,800 dollars it is oh only some people are successful. I have been so bothered all day about this. I have only 15 days in on this journey and being told only some lose weight. Give me a break and 6 more months is what I wanted to say.

His comment definitely needs to be discussed with the surgeon who did your surgery. You need to ask why this isn't stated at their "positive" seminars when they are recruiting patients. The surgeon may only be the mechanic but his/her attitude is important in follow up care. I don't think a lot of them are very knowledgable in how the lapband works or general nutrition/weight loss information. You need to be your own advocate and speak out if you think you are not getting the right information. Good luck.

I second RestlessMonkey's idea that he may have been trying to compliment you, albeit not very well.

When I read it, I took it more to mean something like "you've done better than a lot of other people". Sort of a weird compliment, but I didn't immediately take it like he was saying you were gonna fail. Before you get too upset, talk to your doctor, and simply ask "I've been wondering what he meant when he said _____ ".

Or just let it go. I mean, only some people could still mean 95%, cuz technically, that's only some of 100%. :thumbup:

Don't even worry about that! You lost so much more than I did pre-op and are doing great! Sounds like your doctor is just socially retarded (seriously). The people who don't lose longterm with the band are people who either (a) can't get good restriction due to either a problem or because they don't get a proper fill; or (:thumbup: who "cheat" the band by drinking milkshakes, eating ice cream, etc. So, if you're going to stay on top of your fill situation (and it sounds like you are) and you aren't going to pig out on "slider foods," I think it's safe to say that you have a very exciting road of weight loss success in front of you!

Welcome to Bandland! Don't give that negative comment a second thought -- shake it off and, in a few months, that doctor will see that you clearly aren't in that minority of people who don't lose with the band. HMPH! :drool:

Best,

Catherine

BTW, lest you have any doubt, check out the tickers of all the bandsters who have responded!

Big Poppa is down 150.5 lbs! (Should we start calling him Lean Poppa?) :thumbup:

ThinkinHealthy is down 77 lbs!

Restless Monkey is down 67.6 lbs!

I'm down nearly 50 lbs (49.6)!

And, you're already down more than 20 and you're barely out of the gate.

Stupid doctor. Oh well . . he's only human!

Catherine

I went outside my insurance and self paid for my surgery. I had my appt. with the nutritionist my primary care physician referred me to approx 6 weeks after surgery. She asked me why I got the band and I told her that I needed help loosing weight and I chose the band because I didn't need to have my digestive system rearranged or rerouted and if there were a problem the band is reversible. She said it is not reversible and the average weight loss with the band is only 30 pounds. That really ticked me off. I've already lost 50 pounds and at that point in time had lost 39 pounds. It's just crazy how some of the medical professionals try to discourage us. I know I will reach my weight loss goal of 160 pounds. How dare she throw a monkey wrench into my commitment. By the way, I filed a grievance with my insurance provider for not covering my surgery in the first place. We'll see what happens with that.

Edited by FailureIsntAnOption

Wow, that would have been quite a shock. I am sure you did your research before doing this and so you know that it is a tool and only a tool. If people go into it and do not change their habits they will not lose, but using the tool correctly you can see by the others, it will happen. Bigpapa is an example. Look at what everyone has done! I have lost 57 as of today. Band date was 10 Feb 2009. Yup, it can be done if you do it right. I would not let that doctor near me again and I would report to someone what he said. That is not support and you need support. So, we are all here for you!

When I first started the process of getting my band my surgeon told me that most bandsters only loose about 30% of their excess weight. I had done my research and knew that a lot of doctors quote this type of thing because of statistics and, therefore, they also avoid making statements that might or might not come true as to successes. I looked him right in the eye and said "Are you saying that because of your statistics?" He replied yes. I then told him to hang on to his statistics because I was going to blow them out of the Water and I did. He now refers to me as a "poster child for the band". Kaiser was new to the band and so was he. I am a feather in his cap and he lets me know how proud of me he is. I just went back for a touch up on Tuesday and he again told me how good I had done.

I also wanted to say that in the beginning we had somewhat of a communication problem. After running what I said through my mind I realized what the problem was and the next time I was able to get my message across. Like the others have said before me, maybe (?) he was trying to compliment you. We don't always say what we mean. You are in charge of how you take the comment. Until something makes it plain that he was indeed saying that the band doesn't work, take it as a compliment. If it comes back that he was saying it doesn't work, prove him wrong and bring him some information to educated him.

Good luck!!

Oh, they sound more positive when they are recruiting you than they do after the surgery. My doctor told me that it will take two years for me to reach my goal of 100 lbs loss and that I may never look like I did when I was younger. Give me a break, I'm 31 yrs old and looked 23 until I crossed over 200 lbs. He never sounded that way pre - surgery and now you are telling me it will take two years to loss the weight. I told him to let me worry about that, just give me fill every month. Initially he refused but when I went for my first fill, he agreed I can come back once a month if I don't have restriction after every fill.

Maybe ya'll should be more picky about your docs? Mine really is a gem...he has been throughout all this. He can't be the only caring, nice bariatric surgeon in North America! :thumbup: