Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely Discouraged!!!

Helo everyone. My 6 month bandiversary was on 6/29/09. I've lost a good amount of weight over 40 lbs., but have been bouncing back and forth between 243 and 247 since the end of April. I usually eat what I am supposed to eat and occasionally have a bite of something that I don't normally allow (I'm following a good carb diet due to my PCOS). For example, I had a quarter sized piece of a very moist corn bread at a cookout yesterday. However I seem to be stuck wiht my loss. I've tried eating nothing but Protein, or protein rich foods and I don't eat huge amounts, although I can eat more than 1 cup of food at a time. I was hoping that with my last fill I would be at my sweet spot (I have 6 cc's in a 14 cc band), but I don't really feel any change.

Last month I got my very 1st period on my own since 2004. Then last week I got it again, which is a mini-victory for me, as I haven't had a period without the help of progesterone since 2003. I also spent the days that I did have my period in the bathroom PBing just about everything I tried to eat, with the exception of slider foods. I'm assuming my band was a little tighter due to the bloating that goes along with that time of the month.

Anyhow, I go for a fill on Wednesday and am afraid to hear the doctor tell me that I'm not losing. I'm not quirte sure what to do to kick start my weight loss again. I'm sure that the bite of corn bread that I had yesterday didn't derail my diet, but I'm not sure what's causing me to be at a stand still. I'm thinking that I may need another fill, but maybe 1/2 of a cc instead of a full cc. I'm also worried that I'm not going to be able to tell when I finally am at my sweet spot. I thought I would be with this last fill, but since I haven't lost anything I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Doea anyne have any advice. My normal daily menu looks like this.

8:00- 8:30 - Protein coffee (3/4 c light soymilk, 2 scoops chocolate Protein powder, 2 tsp. Splenda and 3/4 c coffee)

9:30 or 10:00 - 1 rome or gala apple sliced with Peter Pan whipped PB.

Water, Water, & more water (or Crystal Light)

2:00 or 2:30 - Soup. Usually Split Pea, Lentil, Garden Broccoli or Butternut Squash and a piece or 2 of string cheese.< /p>

Water, Water & more water (or Crystal Light)

dinner Time (varies) - Usually a meat/chicken and veggies or a salad.< /p>

snack - No sugar added ice cream, high protein yogurt, sugar free popsicle, Jello with sugar free Cool Whip, smoothie (made with yogurt, light soy milk, fresh fruit & ice) etc... (not every night though).

Is there anything on my menu that looks like it could be causing me to be at this plateau. I don't eat rice, bread, Pasta or flour. I occasionally cook with panko bread crumbs and maybe once I month I have a quesadilla when we're out somewhere. My favorte is shrimp, spinach, mozzarella & pesto. You'd think that I'd be losing - especially since I was pb'ing at almost every meal for 3 or 4 days over this past week/weekend.

Does anyone have any advice because I'm extremely discouraged at this point and really don't know what to do. I'm also starting to have thoughts of bad foods by telling myself that I'm not losing anymore when I'm eating right. It's like I'm finding ways to justify eating foods that I don't eat as of now. I'm not giving into those cravings, but I did have 2 5 inch long salted pretzel sticks yesterday mid day. Again, I can't imagine that would have caused this plateau. Yesterday was a fluke and I don't EVER eat pretzels or anything else like that. I was just feeling down on myself.

I'm at that point where I just want to scream. Especially since everyone keeps asking me how much weight I've lost now, or if I have lost anymore weight. I hate having to say that I haven't lost anything, but I haven't gained either. Especially since I have so far left to go.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them. I just need to know that I'm not failing even though I feel like I am right now. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Helo everyone. My 6 month bandiversary was on 6/29/09. I've lost a good amount of weight over 40 lbs., but have been bouncing back and forth between 243 and 247 since the end of April. I usually eat what I am supposed to eat and occasionally have a bite of something that I don't normally allow (I'm following a good carb diet due to my PCOS). For example, I had a quarter sized piece of a very moist corn bread at a cookout yesterday. However I seem to be stuck wiht my loss. I've tried eating nothing but Protein, or Protein rich foods and I don't eat huge amounts, although I can eat more than 1 cup of food at a time. I was hoping that with my last fill I would be at my sweet spot (I have 6 cc's in a 14 cc band), but I don't really feel any change.

Last month I got my very 1st period on my own since 2004. Then last week I got it again, which is a mini-victory for me, as I haven't had a period without the help of progesterone since 2003. I also spent the days that I did have my period in the bathroom PBing just about everything I tried to eat, with the exception of slider foods. I'm assuming my band was a little tighter due to the bloating that goes along with that time of the month.

Anyhow, I go for a fill on Wednesday and am afraid to hear the doctor tell me that I'm not losing. I'm not quirte sure what to do to kick start my weight loss again. I'm sure that the bite of corn bread that I had yesterday didn't derail my diet, but I'm not sure what's causing me to be at a stand still. I'm thinking that I may need another fill, but maybe 1/2 of a cc instead of a full cc. I'm also worried that I'm not going to be able to tell when I finally am at my sweet spot. I thought I would be with this last fill, but since I haven't lost anything I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Doea anyne have any advice. My normal daily menu looks like this.

8:00- 8:30 - Protein coffee (3/4 c light soymilk, 2 scoops chocolate Protein Powder, 2 tsp. Splenda and 3/4 c coffee)

9:30 or 10:00 - 1 rome or gala apple sliced with Peter Pan whipped PB.

Water, Water, & more water (or Crystal Light)

2:00 or 2:30 - Soup. Usually Split Pea, Lentil, Garden Broccoli or Butternut Squash and a piece or 2 of string cheese.

Water, Water & more water (or Crystal Light)

dinner Time (varies) - Usually a meat/chicken and veggies or a salad.

snack - No sugar added ice cream, high protein yogurt, sugar free popsicle, Jello with sugar free Cool Whip, smoothie (made with yogurt, light soy milk, fresh fruit & ice) etc... (not every night though).

Is there anything on my menu that looks like it could be causing me to be at this plateau. I don't eat rice, bread, Pasta or flour. I occasionally cook with panko bread crumbs and maybe once I month I have a quesadilla when we're out somewhere. My favorte is shrimp, spinach, mozzarella & pesto. You'd think that I'd be losing - especially since I was pb'ing at almost every meal for 3 or 4 days over this past week/weekend.

Does anyone have any advice because I'm extremely discouraged at this point and really don't know what to do. I'm also starting to have thoughts of bad foods by telling myself that I'm not losing anymore when I'm eating right. It's like I'm finding ways to justify eating foods that I don't eat as of now. I'm not giving into those cravings, but I did have 2 5 inch long salted pretzel sticks yesterday mid day. Again, I can't imagine that would have caused this plateau. Yesterday was a fluke and I don't EVER eat pretzels or anything else like that. I was just feeling down on myself.

I'm at that point where I just want to scream. Especially since everyone keeps asking me how much weight I've lost now, or if I have lost anymore weight. I hate having to say that I haven't lost anything, but I haven't gained either. Especially since I have so far left to go.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them. I just need to know that I'm not failing even though I feel like I am right now. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks in advance for your help!!

How many hours weekly of hard cardio are you doing?

Hello there. I do 40 min. on the treadmill 3-4 days a week and then also ab work on the same days I do the treadmill. I only have and hour for lunch so that all I can fit in within that those time constraints. I do however change up my treadmill routine every couple of weeks. I either increade the mph or the program on the machine.

Well, I did notice the reference to cream-based Soups. I was told explicitly that after the "full liquid" stage post-op, I was not supposed to eat ANY cream Soups.< /p>

I suggest that your journal your eating if you aren't doing so already. There are several on-line journals that help you with calorie values, etc. What most people discover once they start journaling EVERY BITE that goes in their mouths that they are nibbling on things they shouldn't be eating at all. This will help you with portions. Aim for aboaut !,000 to !,200 calories per day.

I drink a Protein shake (20 grams Protein and 2 grams of carbs) for Breakfast because I'm tight in the morning and don't/can't eat soid food. My other two meals consist of about 3 oz of lean Protein, vegetables and a single serving of whole grain carbs (for me, since bread gets stuck every time, that's whole grain baked crackers). I occasionally eat a scoop of mashed potatoes, I have a very small slice of birthday cake once a month at work, SF popsicles are a favorite snack. For exercise, I don't go to a gym. I have almost an acre for a yard so I do all my own yard work and that gives me a fair amount of exercise. Fill in with walking. This works for me.

I PB occasionally, but it's "operator error" ... I either eat too fast or in lieu of not eating fast, don't chew as well as I should. That has taught me a great deal about HOW to eat.

So, anyway, you have my suggestions.

Hi there Discouraged. I could tell you not to be, but that would be pointless, being that I myself get discouraged quite frequently.

First, let us focus on the positive. Your whole life you have struggled with your weight going up. Is that still happening? NO! How many years did it take you to get where you were? It might take just as long to get it back off- so be patient.

I have hit many plateaus, and the only way I got over them was with time and change. You body is going to fight the loss- you must accept this. Plateau's are your body's natual defence against this. (I hate saying this because I hate hearing it as well).

Next, I suggest counting your calories- just for a week or so. You may not be getting the 1200 you body needs. When I eat less than 1200, I stop loosing. When I eat the 1200, but with fatty Proteins, I stop loosing. (sometimes I go overboard on Peanut Butter, nuts, and other fatty Proteins that stop my weightloss). Your Beans are starchy proteins and carbs, with lots of fat.

Try leaner meats, eat more fish, at least 4 times a week, and seafood, and if you can get it, venison. My band loves it and it is one of the leanest meats you can eat. Veggies are great, but don't really provide you with good calories. I realized this because the dressing just adds fat, not matter how much I enjoy salad. Eat greens instead (spinach, etc), tomatoes, fruits (I am eating muskmelon now, which goes down well, and strawberries) as a snack.

I am a cheese lover, but whenever I encorporate cheese into my daily diet, I stop loosing. I can only have cheese about once or twice a week. However, low fat cottage chesse keeps me loosing for some reason.

When I use too much salt, I stop loosing too. (I have been paying very close attention to what I eat and what it does to me). When I am stressed I stop loosing. When I am on my period I gain, no matter what I eat. The BC Pill has significantly slowed my weight loss, but I need that, so I just have to take my lumps I guess.

I hope you take something away from this. I love you all so much for trying, and want you to feel good about what you are doing and going through. You need to experiment and listen to your body and your band, not your head. Everyone's body is different. Let me know if any of this helped.

ParrotheadCathy: Hello and thank you for the reply :thumbdown: I appreciate your comments on the cream based Soups, but None of the 4 soups that I eat contain any cream. The broccoli is simply broccoli, pureed broccoli, seasonings and chicken broth, the butternet squash is pureed squash, Water and seasonings and both the pea and lentil soups are comprised of Beans (peas/lentils), which are good carbs and full of Protein. In fact, most doctors recommend these two soups in particular based on the amount of Protein that they provide. Add a little unflavored protein powder and they're even better for you :0) By the way, my split pea Soup does not contain carrots or potatoes, simply peas and sometimes diced turkey ham. I do not use cream in ANY of my cooking. In fact, I would LOVE to be able to have a cream based soup. I used to love new egland clam chowder, but it's a no-no for me. I can't even imagine the chewy litle clams nowadays. Oh yeah, I do eat a broth based Maryland Crab soup as well as Egg Drop soup as well. I'm not a big milk person to begin with and the only real "milk" that I buy for myself if is my light soymilk, which has more protein, Fiber, etc... and less calories than fat free skim milk. I also do not eat ANY white potatoes, Pasta, or basically anything made with white flour.

I was told at one point that I am possibly not eating enough calories in a day, but I haven't been logging them in online recently. I'm thinking I should add in another protein shake between lunch and dinner or after dinner, but I haven't made that change as of yet.

As far as my recent tightness - I have only pb's in the past for the same reasons as you - mainly operator error (LOL). Oh yes, and of course when I was too tight and had to be totally unfilled. However, I'm thinking the problems that I was having recently were due to me having my period, because since it's been finished I've not had any additional problems. So, maybe if it comes again, I'll try to focus on softer foods if I run into any issues in that area. I'm also going to mention something to my doctor at my appt. on Wednesday.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your input. I truly appreciate your time :tongue_smilie:

als74. Wow. it looks like we were banded right around the same time. Your loss is very impressive.

Thanks for your input. I try to focus on leaner meats like chicken and fish or 93/7 lean ground beef, and shrimp has become a staple in my diet. However,we do have flank steak on occasion. I love venison and wish we could find it down herre in Florida, but so far I've only seen bison, which we love!!! I tried to make a roast in the crockpot last week and even though it was falling apart it still gave me problems, so I won't be making that again anytime soon. Then again, I really don't prefer that type of food much anyhow. It was just something cheap, lean and easy. Plus, I don't think the hubby enjoyed it without the carrots and potatoes either. I did try turnips for the first time ever last week. I really enjoyed them and am told that many banders fare very well with them. Now, they're not something I'd eat everyday, but occasionally I can't forsee their being a problem with them. In fact, I do have a sweet potato probably once a month. I simply slice it, spray it with Pam, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake it. Again, good carb, although still a carb.

I should probably start logging my foods again. I'm very diligent about doing it (when I do), but I always end up getting away from it after awhile. I should also probably try to add a little more variety to my foods. I know your body gets used to the same foods when you eat them over and over again, so that might be some of my problem as well.

I'm also glad that you mentioned salt. Most people don't think about it. I used to salt EVERYTHING, but for the past few years I've really gotten away from it. I do use it on certain

Thanks for the weight loss praise. Whenever I get discouraged, I look at the weight loss of others who were banded the same time as me as realize I am doing quite well.

It sounds like you just need a change, cause what you are eating sounds great and right on track. I used to drink more Protein shakes, but I realized solids burned more calories to digest, and now I only use Protein shakes in am if needed or when band is tight (sometimes it is tight for NO reason, and I PB all day- lol).

How does chicken work out for you? Sorry- but it seems you and some of the others replying here are kind of in the same place, and I am always looking for new stuff to consider. I dont' do chicken well anymore. Another weird thing. They told me that dry meats would give me trouble, and to use stuff to make it slippery (gravy, sauces, etc). But for me and meat, dryer is better (except chicken). Beef jerkey goes down no matter what won't stay down! I produce lots of saliva when I eat now, and when it is slippery, it tries to go through to fast and causes PB and dilation and pain!!! Does anyone else experience this?

honestly it could be a plateu just for plateu's sake. At my six month mark I became sooo depressed because I just wasn't losing even though my eating stayed the same/was getting better and even an increase in exercise. However after months of staying at the same weight it suddenly dropped off again...and since then I've lost another 35lbs so I wouldn't get too discouraged yet. Just keep truckin along...and I totally feel your pain on the PCOS it's a b****. lol

Another thing, we just had venison in crock pot, and I put in the carrorts and red skin potatoes (which are an ok starch) and ate meat, carrots, and a couple bites of potatoes. I just eat more meat than anything else. Don't be afraid to put those things in. The nutrients go into the meat, and you get the good stuff without eating the bad stuff!!!:tongue_smilie:

Hey there. I have been where you are and the platueau is my worst enemy!!! Try to do some really intense workouts like bootcamp type activities, jumping jacks, burpees and add some more weight training to gain muscle which will burn more calories. I was plateaued for almost a year and did some really agressive changes to my workout and the scale started moving again. Also, try to eat some more solid Protein like chicken, eggs, meat and that will prevent high calorie absorption of the liquid Proteins you are getting. My Dr is very strict not to have anything liquid except for Water (except for right after fill).

Congrats on the periods, thats a great accomplishment and shows you that your body is responding in a very positive way! :tongue_smilie:

All I can share is at my 6 months out I had only lost around 35lbs I too was pretty down but you know what a loss is a loss that is all I have to say. i also was not at my restriction level yet either. After the 7th fill HELLO I was there and have been there for the last 6 months and so far have lost a total of 80lbs for my anniversary date. I used to think I was not "keeping up" with others but you have to remember YOU CAN NOT compare your weight loss to others or rather Keep up with anyone, I had to "learn" that myself. Oh and congrats on the cycle YES PCOS is a B(&%* I deal with it myself and yes the cycles will return funny how people tht does not have that problem read that we so welcome AF each month? LOL!! I think your just at a platueau at the moment is all it will get a movin again you will see...GOOD luck! And yes I had the same doctor that woudl not allow me to "Drink" my Protein I had to eat it LOL!!

Wow. I'm so glad that I decided to post my situation. I love the support that everyone gives on this site. Sometimes you just need to know that you're not alone in what you're going through and that there are other people that are there or that have been there before you and have still managed to succeed!

als74 - We seem to have much in common in addition to the similar surgery dates. I appreciate all of your input :0)

To everyone else - thank you so much. I know that I need to go back to logging my foods and try to change up not only my menus, but also my workouts. My 4 yr. old just learned to ride his 2 wheeler this weekend so I'm hoping to be able to start taking walks at home at night now that he can ride his bike along with me. He's looking for any and every excuse to get out there and ride that sucker!!! Now, if we can just get my hubby to hop on board, everything will be great.

I've also got to see if I can find the pilates video that my sister-in-law bought for me. She swears by pilates. I've also heard good things about the Leslie Sansone walking videos. In fact, I think I'm gonna check out the local library site to try and reserve some videos right now. Does anybody have any other suggestions for workout videos that I can do at home while dinner's cooking. Changing from a treadmill to a video might just be what my body needs right now!!

Thanks again to everyone :0)

Elizabeth

I can definately relate. I am not that far out. I had my second fill 2 weeks ago and lost 14 pounds. Only to gain 10 back in a week. I am not sure if this is possible. But the scale says I have. I am not taking it very well either. I am in the gym 5 times a week 1-2 hours each visit. I ate a few things that I should not have and I had some cocktails too. I never missed the gym. Oh, I got my period too. I was thinking water... IDK...

ParrotheadCathy: Hello and thank you for the reply :thumbup: I appreciate your comments on the cream based Soups, but None of the 4 Soups that I eat contain any cream. The broccoli is simply broccoli, pureed broccoli, seasonings and chicken broth, the butternet squash is pureed squash, Water and seasonings and both the pea and lentil soups are comprised of Beans (peas/lentils), which are good carbs and full of Protein. In fact, most doctors recommend these two soups in particular based on the amount of Protein that they provide. Add a little unflavored Protein powder and they're even better for you :0) By the way, my split pea Soup does not contain carrots or potatoes, simply peas and sometimes diced turkey ham. I do not use cream in ANY of my cooking. In fact, I would LOVE to be able to have a cream based Soup. I used to love new egland clam chowder, but it's a no-no for me. I can't even imagine the chewy litle clams nowadays. Oh yeah, I do eat a broth based Maryland Crab soup as well as Egg Drop soup as well. I'm not a big milk person to begin with and the only real "milk" that I buy for myself if is my light soymilk, which has more protein, Fiber, etc... and less calories than fat free skim milk. I also do not eat ANY white potatoes, Pasta, or basically anything made with white flour.

I was told at one point that I am possibly not eating enough calories in a day, but I haven't been logging them in online recently. I'm thinking I should add in another Protein shake between lunch and dinner or after dinner, but I haven't made that change as of yet.

As far as my recent tightness - I have only pb's in the past for the same reasons as you - mainly operator error (LOL). Oh yes, and of course when I was too tight and had to be totally unfilled. However, I'm thinking the problems that I was having recently were due to me having my period, because since it's been finished I've not had any additional problems. So, maybe if it comes again, I'll try to focus on softer foods if I run into any issues in that area. I'm also going to mention something to my doctor at my appt. on Wednesday.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your input. I truly appreciate your time :)

Your soups sounds wonderful! One suggestion, pea soup is not really loaded with good carbs like lentil soup is. It's starchy more than anything like corn. Lentils are uber fantastic for protein and Fiber but more important it is a complete protein chain unlike peas or Beans.< /p>

I do think your quantities are a bit high but it doesn't sound like you have great restriction. I could have never eaten an entire apple when I was banded let alone with Peanut Butter. I'd keep shooting for fills until you get decent restriction.

I'd also dump the soups and opt for more satisfying solid foods?

Also, between 40-60 pounds people typically plateau, it's a normal part of weight loss. You are at the 40# point so really, you are supposed to plateau.

Sorry, wish I had the magic answer for you.