Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks, I guess I have to look at that I got the surgery and get on with it and stop kicking myself. And let's face it, I have spent so much on diet programs, hopefully this will be the last one. I just wanted people to beware that this is unusual and a rip off

Sheesh, does that include the surgery?!? Seriously, that sounds really high to me.

My program is $1,450, but includes pre and post op support groups, all testing, psych, nutritionist and additional testing. I know any medical expense over $1,000 is typically tax deductible, but that doesn't help right now.

Any way you can research other surgeons to see what else is available to you?

thing made me mad was i had to pay 400 for classes for after lap band,ive never gone to 1 that was 9 months ago,the place is way across town and rush hr id never go,i couldnt get the surgery unless i payed the dr this before it,like i threw away 400.00.i think c should have been my choice,or classes should have been near my house,but i feel like the place stole my money more or less

I saw this thread when it opened a few days ago, and I intentionally avoided it because I knew how angry it would make me.

Now, having read it, "furious" just doesn't cover it.

I do not have a lot of affection for most doctors I've dealt with, but for them to impose this on you above and beyond whatever the insurance is paying is CRIMINAL. I can see paying a few bucks here and there for administrative costs (actually, i can't....these people make enough as it is....) but this "program fee" is OUTRAGEOUS.

I would be very interested in seeing exactly what this clown is "giving" you for this fee. It better be a luxury week in Aruba.....

Please post some additonal details, if you can, on what you are getting for this.

I DO think you should ask for a refund and look elsewhere. I can only imagine what would happen if there were some complications, and extensive aftercare were needed. I senses that you would be paying a premium for any additonal support.

There are some Doctors who become doctors for the RIGHT reasons. There are others who are in it JUST for the money. Most fall somewhere in between. Can you guess which category "Milton" falls into?

Seriously. Ask for a refund. See what they say. Think of ALL you can do with that cash. There are plenty of GOOD surgeons out there that will do it with little or NO "fee".

And, everyone who PAYS fees like this is encouraging this kind of behavior. I'm not condeming the OP, not in the SLIGHTEST. But as consumers, we all need to say NO to this kind of extortion, or it will become an industry standard.

HH :biggrin:

Yeah to be honest i feel i was wronged,all mine was covered but to force me to pay that,just was wrong.i think i should have been given the choice about the classes,the dr made a lot money off my insurance company then to ask me to pay 400 cash is justwrong,i had to charge it and ill be paying for along time on it.hell for all the money they make off fills exc..i feel som eone should pay us back that money.i totally agree.with you.is there a way id get it back well probley not.but to be forced to pay 400 for classes is just wrong.

One last thing i would have done just about anything to get the band.so i payed the 400,but when i think he gets this off of every person that he does is just wrong.even if the classes help,should have been my choice

The first surgeon I looked into asked for a $3,700 program fee. I said forget it.

My surgeon has no program fees at all.

Nazzy how did they make you pay? Did you tell them you couldn't attend them because of work?

I have been told that when I get the Insurance Approval I will have to pay a $750 program fee. While it kind of stinks I don't mind paying it. They are taking care of all the paperwork and insurance stuff, I will get several post - op visits with the nutritionist and an exercise therapist, unlimited support groups, several pre and post op classes, a large amount of printed educational materials, a bag full of samples of different Protein drinks and bars, and they also have 24 hour access to the doctors.

I am not even approved yet and they have spent as much time as I have needed answering questions, talking to me, helping me with insurance/paperwork questions etc. . . My office is very professional, reputable and the doctors really do seem to care about me as a person, not as an insurance windfall. I am willing to pay out of pocket for that level of comfort and security.

No way I would more than $1000 though.

This is Greta. Since a lot of people asked me for details here it goes.....My doctor Milton Owens, Orange county ca, charges $3,700, yes $3,700 additional and it's a total rip off. this "includes", 24 hour access to him(I called the day after surgery to ask something, I've never heard from him. It's been 2 1/2 weeks), for a program manual, he gave me the program that lapband.com sends out for free and put a white sticker with his name on it. Nutrition guidance. i called to ask a question and they referred me to the free manual. It's awful. I asked for a refund, sent a letter going through each point, ;and they said tough, you signed the paper. Beware of Milton Owens. Anybody want to ask me I will be happy to answer.

oops $3,500. What a bargain. I paid because I was in a rush, had the date set with another doctor who didn't charge this and was much better, but insurance fell through and I had already taken time from work, etc

Greta;

I think you'd be entitled to a refund if things that were included (24 hour access) were not provided. And it sounds like they were NOT provided.

I emailed his office to see what this "fee" included (i pretended to be a potential patient and said i had heard about the fee), but i haven't heard anything back yet.

It IS a rip-off. And this guy needs to be "named-and-shamed". Can you imagine if their office processes 1000 surgeries a year, how much that would be in ADDITION to what they get from the insurance?

People need to made aware of clowns like this.

HH :smile2:

I attended a weightloss seminar last night. The program fee is $1000 and it covers all of the necessary pre-op procedures. What does the $3500 cover?

I attended a weightloss seminar last night. The program fee is $1000 and it covers all of the necessary pre-op procedures. What does the $3500 cover?

this is such BS! Usually INSURANCE (if you have it) covers "the necessary preop procedures"...psych consult, any tests (x ray GI series ultrasound, blood work cardiac consult whatever!) and your visits to surgeon as well!

Good grief they shouldn't be charging "fees". Period!