Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry I should have been more clear, that question on "fees" was in regards to Dr. Korman

No "program fees". Depends if your insurance covers him. I think he took something like $3800 if you are cash pay, that includes everything with his surgery, office. Insurance, I"m not sure. I was going to pay this fee, but the hospital next door to him fell out of my insurance and I just couldn't afford it. He works out of Cedars which my insurance covers. I could kick myself for not doing it. I paid more to doctor Owens, plus he charged my insurance.

Has anyone ever said they just can't afford the program fee so will not be able to do have the surgery?

That is the doctor just letting $240 to $3500 WOW) stand in front of a $20,000 sure thing. I wonder if it would work? I sure don't have the money for much up front costs when the insurance says it is all covered.

This thread was so long I don't remember who; but ,someone said it was illegal to charge that fee. Can you tell me a little more about this?

Thanks all and good dieting.

I actually reported it to my insurance company. He is a blue cross provider which is how I got his name. Now he collects from blue cross and me. By the way, I was his 3rd patient of the day. Can you imagine. $3500 time 3 plus what he collects from insurance. NOt bad for a mornings work. I'll let you know what the insurance says.

Find out what your insurance pays the surgeon. If it is $1000, you will have a program fee to help cover costs. If your insurance pays a lot more, you will likely not be charged a program fee. In California, many plans under the large carriers pay $1000.

You tend to get what you pay for, and in medicine it is no different. Unless you are lucky and have a really good insurance plan. Do research on your surgeon and their practice. Reputation and feedback from post op patients are the most important points to focus on. Sounds like some of the complainers on this thread did not do their research.

WOW! These people KNOW we are desperate and then bill us for it. SICK!

I am going to Dr. James Ku at the Reading Hospital in Reading, PA. I pay nothing but my co-pays for visits. THEY took the time to consult with my insurance as to what they required and had me fulfill those requirements, again for only the co-pay costs.

Lifetime FREE support groups monthly that I can even bring my friends to, whether or not they have had the surgery or are even planning on it. My mother goes with me every time. She has lost her weight on her own but finds the closeness and encouragement of the group very inspring.

Is he on an island somewhere sipping a mojito? Probably, I just hope he gives you a shout out in 'toast'. "Thanks to greta and her 3500 for making this lovely vacation possible." :)

Keep spreading the word. No program fees should be necessary unless they are covering all your outside appointments, labs and tests etc.

Just so you know, 1000 is not bad if it includes your other visits. If I had to pay out of pocket for the stuff not associated with my surgeon, the Cardiologist was 1800, psych eval 300 and nutritionist for 3 months about 180.