Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 1st Surgery Stories

Okay, my fellow Freedom Fighter First'rs...

Melinda_205

tessiekay

leshers2x2

hot tea

and

lovely9257

We're down to 2 days now, so I thought I'd make a place for us to come back and share our surgery stories. Feel free to share as little or as much as you'd like.

Here's wishing us all safe surgeries and speedy recoveries!!

Thanks for starting this thread Juniper.

I'm in last minute mode here. I just put that last load of laundry in and my robot vacuum is hard at work, so I'll take a few minutes to update.

I had my pre-op consent visit on Saturday. I feel so good about the teamwork there. I was there nearly and hour and a half and spent a good bit of time with the coordinator going over the consent and getting questions answered (I had printed out a list of about 15 questions). I visited with the surgeon himself for approx 30 minutes to go over my pre-op testing and I got to go over my questions again with him. Oh yeah...got my "before" pictures taken as well. Also confirmed I'll be getting the Realize Band.

I've gotten my prescriptions filled. My surgeon covers the post-anesthesia nausea issue with a scopalamine patch which I'll place tomorrow morning (24 hrs prior to surgery). I also got my liquid pain med, Prevacid, and an anti-gallstone med.

Tomorrow is the pre-registration and meeting with anesthesia. I'll find out my surgery time as well. That part is a little scary as this is the first time for surgery for me. My best friend is going with me and she'll be my designated driver/companion for Wednesday.

Otherwise I'm ready....I'm stocked up on Protein supplements, Vitamins, Calcium, liquids, etc. I did all liquids today for the last day of my pre-op diet - ready for Clear Liquids only tomorrow.

To echo Juniper: Here's wishing us all safe surgeries and speedy recoveries!!

I'll be thinking about you guys and will report in from the other side :tongue2:

juniper this was a great idea

july 1st banders

i wish you all a safe and successful surgery, you will be in my thoughts as you are the first to kick off july for us. im tearing up as i type this...but im happy for you all and please come back as soon as you are feeling better to let us know how you are.

good luck

daqui :tongue2:

I can't wait until we all have our stories posted.

Good Luck everyone! I'll be thinking of you and wishing you no pain. :-)

The first ones of our July crew to be banded, I'm so happpy for you guys! I wish you all the best! Let us know how you are doing. Take care!

I had a restless night...too excited to sleep. A few last min chores and then my bff is coming to take my measurements and "before" pic. I will post here as soon as they let me have my gadgets. I'm scheduled for 2:30pm est. I love you guys!!!

Thanks Juniper for thinking of us :P

Yeah for JULY! I'll be thinking about the lucky ones going in early in the month. I'm less than 3 weeks out now and start liquids on Monday! It's going to be a good 4th weekend, visiting all my favorite foods for the last time! :P Can't wait to start reading reports from our July Banders! Good luck all!

my surgeon was about an hour behind...I finally made it into the OR at 3 35pm...in recovery at 5 20pm

slight burning discomfort at the port site. got .5 of dilaulid and and ice pack and that helped. I got to my room at

6 30pm...got my vitals taken, got a popsicle and sent time talking with bff and updating my friends via facebook...

I dont have Wi Fi so, using my Palm for updates...will write more once on my lap top...thanks for all the well wishes and prayers...hope every is as comfortable as I am.

Hugs Regina

Wow Regina,

Sounds like you are doing great. Thanks for updating us on your surgery. Take good care and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have little pain and are up and about in no time.

Hugs to you.

Mary

Banded yesterday (7/1) and everything went just like clockwork..no unexpected surprises. I arrived at 8:30 am and went to the OR at 11am. They never did tell me when my scheduled time was...just when to be there. I think that might have been better because then I couldn't fret over whatever was causing a delay.

I woke up in recovery around noon. My only discomfort there was tremendous pressure in my upper chest/shoulders from the OR gas, but I was expecting that, so I wasn't alarmed. They gave me a good bit of morphine to settle that down. The only other issue was that I kept drifting off to sleep and then my oxygen levels went down...I kept trying to make myself talk to keep myself awake. Awake=Deep Breathing=Good oxygen levels=Happy Nurses.

I was still pretty groggy in the step-down room, but my friend was with me there. I had a vague sense that I could possibly get nauseated if I moved around too much and I received 2 doses of Zofram and one of phenergan to get that settled down. Of course that made me sleepy....they did a chest xray also, but I'm not sure of the reason for that.

I finally got up and walked (and used the bathroom) around 4:30pm and then headed home shortly afterwards.

Overall it was a very good experience. The hospital staff were all exceptionally pleasant. Everything was so serene, that it was almost sorta kinda like a spa atmosphere (but not as luxuious).

I didn't sleep well last night, sort of drifted in and out. My only pain today is the port site. That feels fine unless I move and then it feels like I'm ripping my innards out. I think that is to be expected and I'm sure it will resolve soon enough.

Oh...just remembered...the surgeon told my friend that I had a rather large hiatal hernia that he repaired, so I guess some of my pain could be from that.

I have not yet experienced any issue drinking liquids....as dry as my mouth was I had to remind myself to just SIP. Today will be Clear Liquids again and then on to full liquids tomorrow for about 10 days to 2 weeks.

I hope everyone else's experience was as good as mine. I look forward to hearing everyone's surgery day story.

my surgeon was about an hour behind...I finally made it into the OR at 3 35pm...in recovery at 5 20pm

slight burning discomfort at the port site. got .5 of dilaulid and and ice pack and that helped. I got to my room at

6 30pm...got my vitals taken, got a popsicle and sent time talking with bff and updating my friends via facebook...

I dont have Wi Fi so, using my Palm for updates...will write more once on my lap top...thanks for all the well wishes and prayers...hope every is as comfortable as I am.

Hugs Regina

Awesome, Regina! I hope you have a speedy recovery!! :tongue2:) Keep us all posted!!1

Banded yesterday (7/1) and everything went just like clockwork..no unexpected surprises. I arrived at 8:30 am and went to the OR at 11am. They never did tell me when my scheduled time was...just when to be there. I think that might have been better because then I couldn't fret over whatever was causing a delay.

I woke up in recovery around noon. My only discomfort there was tremendous pressure in my upper chest/shoulders from the OR gas, but I was expecting that, so I wasn't alarmed. They gave me a good bit of morphine to settle that down. The only other issue was that I kept drifting off to sleep and then my oxygen levels went down...I kept trying to make myself talk to keep myself awake. Awake=Deep Breathing=Good oxygen levels=Happy Nurses.

I was still pretty groggy in the step-down room, but my friend was with me there. I had a vague sense that I could possibly get nauseated if I moved around too much and I received 2 doses of Zofram and one of phenergan to get that settled down. Of course that made me sleepy....they did a chest xray also, but I'm not sure of the reason for that.

I finally got up and walked (and used the bathroom) around 4:30pm and then headed home shortly afterwards.

Overall it was a very good experience. The hospital staff were all exceptionally pleasant. Everything was so serene, that it was almost sorta kinda like a spa atmosphere (but not as luxuious).

I didn't sleep well last night, sort of drifted in and out. My only pain today is the port site. That feels fine unless I move and then it feels like I'm ripping my innards out. I think that is to be expected and I'm sure it will resolve soon enough.

Oh...just remembered...the surgeon told my friend that I had a rather large hiatal hernia that he repaired, so I guess some of my pain could be from that.

I have not yet experienced any issue drinking liquids....as dry as my mouth was I had to remind myself to just SIP. Today will be Clear Liquids again and then on to full liquids tomorrow for about 10 days to 2 weeks.

I hope everyone else's experience was as good as mine. I look forward to hearing everyone's surgery day story.

Hi Tessie,

Thank you for posting that surgery story!! I wish you the best of luck with your band and your recovery. Remember, we are all here if you need to talk! :tongue2:)

ok, so basically I got about an hour of sleep last night in total. Had a roommate that was banded by another surgeon the same practice that banded me. So, we were perfect roomies right...wrong, she was playing her TV so loud, belching so loud and when she wasn't doing those to things, she was snoring. At 2am I asked her to turn the TV off or down. She muted it but, left it on :)

I still had the burning sensation at the two upper incision but, didn't need pain meds. An ice pack was all I needed.

My surgeons partner come in said my xray looked great and my incision was fine and that I could go home....yippee.

Home by 1pm. Napped from 3p-7p. Finally, my own bed. Yeah not so fun...although, comfy and just want my back needed....it was rough getting in and out of it. I feel like I did a 1000 sit ups. I just took liquid tylenol for comfort.

I did take pics of my incisions and will post them as well. I am a little behind on my liquids but not too worried since, I got 2.5 liters of fluids while admitted and was instructed not to take my diuretic for the next few days.

I have the after surgery code for the Realize site and will go on in the next day or so.

Hoping all the July 1st peeps are well and hang in there July 2nd....you'll be home this time tomorrow if, not already home.

Thanks for the support guys...this site is a God send.

Regina