Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like a failure.......

It's been almost 8 months since I got my Lapband....and I have only lost 40-something pounds. I know that I am not drinking as much Water or eating as much Protein as I was when I 1st got the Lapband.....and I can mention a million reasons as to why, but there really is no excuse because I have the tool to lose the weight and I am not taking advantage of it. I am having a very very hard time getting back on track and kickstarting my diet plan again. I have been to several support groups but they are a joke/not helpful at all. I just feel like such a failure being stuck and not being able to lose anymore weight. :)

It's been almost 8 months since I got my Lapband....and I have only lost 40-something pounds. I know that I am not drinking as much Water or eating as much Protein as I was when I 1st got the Lapband.....and I can mention a million reasons as to why, but there really is no excuse because I have the tool to lose the weight and I am not taking advantage of it. I am having a very very hard time getting back on track and kickstarting my diet plan again. I have been to several support groups but they are a joke/not helpful at all. I just feel like such a failure being stuck and not being able to lose anymore weight. :)

IMO I think you are doing good.

it looks to me like you are doing good, maybe you just dont like the time it is taking? you are going in the right direction. keep up the good work.

Nik,

I lost 40 lbs quickly and then I got cocky and started eating wrong things and started gaining, this was so depressing after going thru all the pain of surgery. But the people in the Chat Room of this forum recommended this website (and its strictly for weight loss surgery people) www.5daypouchtest.com and it really gets you back on track--it's not really a "test", it is full of encouragement to keep you doing what you need to do. It has really helped me and I have lost the weight I'd gained, plus 3 additional lbs. You can order a manual, but it is not necessary because all the info is on the website to read and print--and it's free!! :thumbup:I encourage you to check the website out.

Good luck,

Scout

Its so so difficult to get back on track, and if ONLY that early motivation lasted.

But you're 40lb down in 8 months, you're well within the norm of that 1 to 2 lb weight loss per week.

I find for me, I focus on what I can control the most. There is no reason, none, nada, zip why I cant get out for a half hour run most days. I stick to that routine like glue, I do not break it for anything and I find achieving that gives me the sense of control that I need to do better on eating choices. I know my eating choices are weaker than my exercise choices, I have willpower some areas but not others.

For example, I *CAN* decide to only eat 3 meals a day. Its simple, measurable, doable. You just have to not eat in between. I decide to do that and run but give myself permission to choose whatever foods I want. For me, that relieves the pressure and the possibility of "failing". I generally choose reasonably well but these sorts of little mental tricks really help me.

By doing this, my behaviour is 80% good and it was always enough to keep me losing. I was a slower loser, for sure, but that didnt bother me.

I think you're doing well.

I've lost nearly 30 since surgery. Sure I wish it was a little faster but I know why it's not.

The biggest thing for me is no major gaining which is what would ALWAYS happen before surgery. And yes, I've had a few gains here and there but it's only been a couple of pounds and has come right back off.

Hang in there. You CAN do this!

I've discovered that on top of exercise, I must track my foods. Especially since I don't have restriction. I've also discovered that I'm a snacker, even when not hungry. I have a 3 yr old and every time I'd go in the kitchen to get her something, I'd grab a handful of {whatever}. Not even realizing how many calories that added up too.

If you're not tracking, I'd really recommend it. I use dailyplate as it's free but there are several other free sites out there as well that I hear are just as good or better.

I know it's frustrating! Best wishes!

Gee, I've lost exactly 40lbs in 6 months and I was feeling pretty darn proud of myself! I have another 60+ to go but I'm not in a race or anything. Most days, most of the time, I make good choices. Some days I don't. As long as I do MOST days...I'm a happy camper. I would say, give yourself a break, see if maybe you need a small fill, and make the right choice MOST days. :rolleyes2: Good luck.

Do you need a slight fill? I like my docs philosophy. He says do not diet, do not calorie count, do not measure. He says eat what you want so your brain does not feel deprived. Let the fills get you to the point that you start loosing weight without you even trying.

I guess I finally found that place with my last fill. This last week I have been taking my kids all over the place.

We spent a day at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I cant remember what I had for Breakfast but I know I ate a good one because we left later in the day. I know I also had 2 Protein drinks and for dinner Marie Callendars Ribs and Tri-tip.

The next day went to Universal Studios and bought the all you can eat pass and shared food with my 5 year old. If you are going to be there for the entire day its cheeper than eating 2 meals and a snack. Had my 2 Protein shakes in the am, Panda Express and some ice cream for lunch, then pizza for dinner.< /p>

The next day we left for Las Vegas for 2 night and 3 days and i eat things like Dennys, Buffet for dinner 2 times, McDonalds, etc. I had a taste of different deserts everyday.

Anyway while there has been a lot of walking I ate what I wanted and lost about 3 pounds. I think that if you think of the band as a diet it can give a lot of feelings of failure. And if you are dieting and losing weight your doctor is not going to give you any fills. I thinking save the diet and structured exercise for the end of the weight loss journey when you cant get any tighter and you want to refine your weight loss. Right now I am swimming with my kids 2 to 4 times a week.

I think if you put too many conditions and make the entire journey structured you give yourself to many ways to fail. Start by getting the band working for you and add the rest later. Look at my signature. I got the band 6 months ago but it was left in me until March unbuckled. So how do I figure out my average weight loss? If I start from January it is about 6 pounds a month. Now if I start from March...well I lost some weight before that...

Anyway just my 2 cents. AND get yourself a fill!!!

Edited by itschoice

I agree with itschoice 100%. It is probably time for a fill. Use that tool as much as you can. If you're counting everything, you're transferring one obsession for another.

Itschoice, I like your ideas. I have been thinking the same thing. I was gaining 2lbs every week or two right before getting banded. Just eating "normally". I think this was due to being on a "diet" for yrs. I could not eat a normal diet due to ruining my metabolism. I haven't lost any wt. for 2 wks. but I have not gained. I am just eating small amts., but food I want and just holding for more fills. I have 2cc in a 14cc band so it may be awhile. I am mostly following the band rules, but if I want a taco or hamburger (without the bread) or a slice of pizza, I have it occasionally. I am eating much smaller amts. now so hopefully my body will adjust and the wt. will start falling off. I want to get started walking, but we are having record breaking temps. here, and I just can't get started. I don't want to get out there and have a heart or heat stroke. I have a walking tape to do in the house. I am planning to get started doing that today. NikNik69 I would suggest a fill if you need it and do that pouch test it should help you get started over with the weight loss. Good luck to you.

itsachoice, I totally agree with your concepts.

For ME tho, I discovered that I was snacking more than I thought and not even hungry most times while doing it. So, in essence, I was eating around my band. :crying: NEVER thought I'd be the one to say that!!

I don't have restriction yet either and won't be able to get in to my doc til almost the end of July! I'm kinda on my own right now as I can eat HUGE amounts of food right now. Tracking on dailyplate, keeps me aware of what I'm doing. If I go over, fine but by how much and with what! I've still been managing to lose but it's VERY slow and may come to a standstill til I can get in for my fill.

So, I do agree with you and hopefully I can get to the point that you're at. SOON!!! :rolleyes2: In the meantime, I have to track.

Oh and I have noticed that when my 3yr old isn't home, I don't eat. Most of my issues are running to the kitchen to get her something so I grab a handful for myself. Or pick out of her bowl as I walk by. Really BAD!!!! And mindless. I didn't realize how much it was adding up til I started tracking again.

Like I said, I really need the awareness right now.

I remember reading about your problems when it happened. Sounds like your issues are finally resolved. That's FANTASTIC!!

I think you're doing well also. I've only lost 44 in almost 6 months. I get discouraged sometimes as well. I just keep on chipping away. Don't let people get you down. Just do what you need to do and little by little it will come off. Might take a while, but it will happen for you.

itsachoice, I totally agree with your concepts.

For ME tho, I discovered that I was snacking more than I thought and not even hungry most times while doing it. So, in essence, I was eating around my band. :cursing: NEVER thought I'd be the one to say that!!

I don't have restriction yet either and won't be able to get in to my doc til almost the end of July! I'm kinda on my own right now as I can eat HUGE amounts of food right now. Tracking on dailyplate, keeps me aware of what I'm doing. If I go over, fine but by how much and with what! I've still been managing to lose but it's VERY slow and may come to a standstill til I can get in for my fill.

So, I do agree with you and hopefully I can get to the point that you're at. SOON!!! :tongue2: In the meantime, I have to track.

Oh and I have noticed that when my 3yr old isn't home, I don't eat. Most of my issues are running to the kitchen to get her something so I grab a handful for myself. Or pick out of her bowl as I walk by. Really BAD!!!! And mindless. I didn't realize how much it was adding up til I started tracking again.

Like I said, I really need the awareness right now.

I remember reading about your problems when it happened. Sounds like your issues are finally resolved. That's FANTASTIC!!

It sounds to me like you are doing great and you have a healthy attitude. You also have found some of your limitations. I just don't think this poster should consider herself a failure. I think she just needs to figure out her special way to work her band. And I did gain some weight while i was having all my problems and waiting for restriction. At times I wondered if I made the right choice and the thought crossed my mind that I was failing. I started off measuring and as the time went on all it did was make me feel bad. Not to say that you are doing it wrong. Just that it took so long for me to get here that I started giving up because it got hard.

I thought a lot about this post today and I have lost about 36 pounds since I first got the band 6 months ago. If I only lose another 36 pounds that is 72 pounds that I would have never lost. If this poster loses another 40 pounds thats a rather large child. I dont know what the posters starting BMI/weight was but my understanding is we still can lose weight the second and third year. So we all need to keep trucking along.

Thanks for remembering me:wub:it makes me feel loved!!!

i think 40 pounds is amazing. not only the weight loss but im sure if you measured your inches you'd be amazed at the diffrence. dont get discouraged! its people like you that keep us newbies going!!

It sounds to me like you are doing great and you have a healthy attitude. You also have found some of your limitations. I just don't think this poster should consider herself a failure. I think she just needs to figure out her special way to work her band. And I did gain some weight while i was having all my problems and waiting for restriction. At times I wondered if I made the right choice and the thought crossed my mind that I was failing. I started off measuring and as the time went on all it did was make me feel bad. Not to say that you are doing it wrong. Just that it took so long for me to get here that I started giving up because it got hard.

I thought a lot about this post today and I have lost about 36 pounds since I first got the band 6 months ago. If I only lose another 36 pounds that is 72 pounds that I would have never lost. If this poster loses another 40 pounds thats a rather large child. I dont know what the posters starting BMI/weight was but my understanding is we still can lose weight the second and third year. So we all need to keep trucking along.

Thanks for remembering me:wub:it makes me feel loved!!!

Thanks, working on the 'tude! I've dieted for so long, it's hard to NOT go there.

I totally agree with you. The OP is SOOOO NOT a failure!! And the band experience is so different for each of us b/c we are so different! Some have major head issues, others, not so much. Some have physical issues, others, not so much. Etc. It's just so different for everyone.

Just yesterday, I was so frustrated. I had to miss my fill appt the other day due to truck failure and can't get in til the 23rd now. And I was so looking forward to the fill! I am SO hungry and can eat a lot right now, but trying not too. I just was thinking that I should have just done by-pass and gotten it over with. Of course in the next minute I'm bucking that thought b/c I did/do have valid reasons for NOT going with by-pass for myself.

I look forward to the day when I can stop tracking calories and when I am only hungry when it's time to eat a meal.

And you're welcome! LOL!

And, Chantel, welcome newbie! :tongue2: Hang in there!