Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd/Third - Follow Up Fill Experiences

Going for my second fill next week. Haven't lost a lb since my first fill. No restriction felt 3 days after 1st fill.

I was eating a bean burrito about a month ago and was eating too fast. Got stuck and it took me 2 hrs of sliming and pbing to get it out. It was horrible. It has been really hard for me to slow down and chew chew chew. Also smaller bites are a problem. You can't afford to let yourself get too hungry. This is definitely a learning experience!

I had my second fill today. I got 2cc's more in my 10cc band for a total of 6.5cc's. I have another appt. in 2 weeks. I definitely feel sore this time. If I had restriction would I know it yet??? or not until I eat solids. I am on liquids today and mushies tomorrow and solids on Friday. So, I will see what kind of restriction I have then??!!

I didn't lose any weight since my first fill and that was 2 weeks ago. My PA said it would take between 3-5 fills. I am sooo lucky they will fill every 2 weeks!!!!!:smile2:

I had my second fill today. I got 2cc's more in my 10cc band for a total of 6.5cc's. I have another appt. in 2 weeks. I definitely feel sore this time. If I had restriction would I know it yet??? or not until I eat solids. I am on liquids today and mushies tomorrow and solids on Friday. So, I will see what kind of restriction I have then??!!

I didn't lose any weight since my first fill and that was 2 weeks ago. My PA said it would take between 3-5 fills. I am sooo lucky they will fill every 2 weeks!!!!!:thumbup:

I think you'll feel the restriction as soon as you eat mushies. You'll probably find that you'll fall out of restriction as soon as you lose some weight. Going every two weeks has really been great.

Good luck..............

Interesting, singing, I've never heard of bandsters having trouble with hiccups! Yes, old habits die hard! :thumbup:

Hiccups are very common, I usually do one hiccup if I am eating too fast, then when I am full I get hiccups. Don't know exactly why, but it happens everytime. There is a thread about this. When we go out I am very careful not to get too close to that first hiccup cause it is loud! LOL 57 pounds down as of this morning, so I will take the hiccups. As for sweet spot, I feel I am there now. I have 6 cc's in a 10 cc band. My doctor does the 6 week fills too, but this time I got a 3 month appointment cause I am feeling so good this time. Did not know we need another fill from shrinkage, interesting. Thanks for the info!

Spidey mom,

I am jumping in late but I thought I'd add my two cents about the shrinking stomach. My doc was 'kind' enough to give me the laproscope pix taken during the procedure! The ones where I can see my actual stomach with the band on it (the brand name Allergan looks like a billboard!) there are globs like teardrops of shiny yellow fat hanging all over my stomach like Christmas ornaments!You can barely see the pink stomach in between the globs. Anyway that fat (called visceral because its on the inside) is what will shrink as I lose weight and make a good amount of injected Fluid fill be looser! And that's a good thing because its the visceral fat that is much worse for your health than the stuff you can pinch on your body!

Not sure what I did with those pix, maybe I should use one as my avatar! LOL!

blklab, congrats on the 57 lbs! And thanks for the 411 on the hiccups!

xavier, that is wild about the picture! My surgeon had said he would give me a pic, but then he forgot. I was going to ask him for one this next time. I'm *really* curious now!! Funny thing, I was just thinking about visceral fat this morning (though I didn't know the name for it at the time). Your post has been very timely and informative! Thanks! :thumbup:

Spidey mom,

I am jumping in late but I thought I'd add my two cents about the shrinking stomach. My doc was 'kind' enough to give me the laproscope pix taken during the procedure! The ones where I can see my actual stomach with the band on it (the brand name Allergan looks like a billboard!) there are globs like teardrops of shiny yellow fat hanging all over my stomach like Christmas ornaments!You can barely see the pink stomach in between the globs. Anyway that fat (called visceral because its on the inside) is what will shrink as I lose weight and make a good amount of injected Fluid fill be looser! And that's a good thing because its the visceral fat that is much worse for your health than the stuff you can pinch on your body!

That is the best explaination I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing that and letting us in on the 411. Now we can feel better about our losing experences. I wondered why I start out so tight and end up loose in a couple of weeks. I wish I had that pic too, but you described it wonderfully. Thanks you so much!

Spidey mom,

Great explanation - makes sense.

My 7/8 adjustment of 1 cc was too tight. Went back this am and the NP took out .3cc which gave relief but still restricted.

I could only eat one to two oz of food and 10-12 oz of Fluid for the day yesterday so I knew it was tight. Thought of not going back but riding it out and hope it would loosen up but then I said to myself why are you doing this??? I'm in it for the long haul so why starve myself. Weighed in and the weight confirmed that I wasn't eating or drinking enough as in two days I lost 4 lbs......Too much in two days.......:tongue_smilie:

Now I'm drinking more and feeling restricted but not strangled......

John, you are doing amazingly well. I can't wait...tomorrow I get my first fill! Today Im exactly 6 weeks post op and feeling great. I just want to keep losing weight and Im stalled at 30 #. Lets see what this first fill will bring!!!!:tongue_smilie:

Good for you, John. You did the right thing-- you listened to your body! :frown: Glad you got some relief!

After a terrible lunch hour of not being able to get full and finally resorting to the *gasp* vending machine !!! (thankfully it had mixed nuts), I emailed my nurse and told her how hungry I was and how I could eat up to two cups of food and still be hungry two hours later. Within a half hour, I was squeezed into this afternoon's schedule for my second fill. :tongue_smilie: Like you, John, I thought I could ride it out until my scheduled appointment in two weeks, but then I thought, this is ridiculous! I need to pay attention to my body's signals. So, I leave in about a 1/2 hour to go to the hospital. *whew* I'll check back later. :)

I was banded the same day as you and I had my first fill this week, and bam I have restriction at least for now. And yes I have had a PB, not fun, basically once you have restriction, you will have to eat slower, eat smaller bites or it will come back up. So take this time to learn to pace yourself, I thought I had done a good job of it until restriction hit and I realized I was still faster than what my band liked. It is definately a learning process.

Well, I'm back from my quickly-scheduled 2nd fill! At first the surgeon put in 1 cc, but the Water was going down like a slow drain, I told him. It wasn't coming back up, but I could definitely feel that it was much, much tighter than it had been! After discussing it a while with me and his assistant, we all agreed that it was best to take a little bit out because he really felt that I would probably have trouble over the weekend. So, he took out about half. :Yawn: So I now have about 6.5 cc in my 10 cc band. He told me I could come back in 2-3 weeks if that wasn't enough, but otherwise, come back in 6 weeks. He also said he only wants to put in 0.5 ccs each time now. :) He's very conservative. Super nice guy, though! :tongue_smilie:

So tonight will be Soup or a Protein drink, and tomorrow will be yogurt and mushies. Here's to more restriction!!! :(:frown:

A little off topic but does everybody have Papaya Enzyme tablets to chew when you get the stuck feeling? They work absolutely instantly and will save you a ton of agony no matter what you ate...I'm not a supplement or pill person but these things work and they taste pretty good...I go NOWHERE without them! They are in the supplement section at Walmart and a lot of drugstores under the letter P.

I only have 4 cc's in a large band and feel I could use more restriction. However, I have to wait until the first week of Aug.

Meanwhile I am taking the suggestion of the Papaya enzyme which I ordered online just now.

Thanks for the suggestion, Xavier.