Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded and Confused...

Hi! I'm being patient to see how this goes, but I need some input. I was banded 2/14/09 - I've lost 20 lbs! Yippee! This represents about 1/3 of my final goal. However, the last 2 months have seen only a 3 lb loss. : ( I've had one fill. If I'm reading my card thingy right, my band is 4 cc capacity and on 4/09 I had 1.8cc put in.

Here's my confusion. Sometimes, after just 3 bites - I "choke" and wish I could just spit it right out. I'm pretty vigilant about chew-chew-chewing, so I'm not sure this is the cause. Yet other times, I can eat a full serving (3 cups). Literally - I can eat 3 bites of a sub sandwich and choke or I am practically able to finsih the whole thing. WTF?!? Do I need another fill??? I can't seem to wrap my head around how this band is supposed to work. I don't see how it controls how much you can eat - more like it controls how quickly you can eat.

Guidance is needed and requested :smile2:

weight.png

Edited by monicapv
ticker

I am glad you posted this....I have been finding the same thing. I am filled to 4mls. One meal I am able to eat a whole serve, the next meal I'm hardly able to eat anything without getting stuck....lol...sorry I don't have any advice, but will be interested in everyones responses :thumbup:

The 4cc band is the older platform and I don't really know anything about the "vicinity" of your sweet spot in that band.

I would suggest the same thing to you as I do anybody....track every bite you put in your mouth. Aim for at least 60 grams of Protein and about 1000 calories.

I would also recommend another visit to your doc's office for a fill. Even if they ultimately decide you don't need one, I think the review of your circumstances and discussion you can have with the staff should help as well.

I'm in a 10cc band, filled to 6ccs. I do get stuck, but it's usually "user error" in that it usually happens at night when I have really gone too long since last eating and eat a bit too fast. I'm having to work on that behavior.

I am in the same boat and I am up to 6 cc after a slight unfill when I couldn't even get Jello down. I agree with your statement b/c when I can eat and I rarely feel full I just stop on my own and there are times when I take small bites and get stuck one day then the next time that same item goes down fine. I have no idea why. For the most part I stop eating as much simply because it has gotten annoying lol not because I am full like I thought the surgery would cause. I do take Papaya emzyme as suggested on here when I get stuck and it does help also my Dr. gave me a Rx for something called Ondansetron an anti-nausa pill to prevent :lol: Like I said its a bit annoying I am down 26.5 pounds a little over a pound a week I am not pouting too much b/c I am sure without the band I would have kept on gaining. So I have mixed emotions right now. :tt2: :wub::tt2::thumbup::thumbup::lol:

Edited by LastOptionAtty

It just happened again. Last night I had 3 pieces of toast with jam for dinner (a craving!) - no problemo. This morning, I took three bites of toast and I started getting that panicky "choking" feeling. It took 1/2 hour to pass.

An older platform band?? Now I am even more confused. The doctor said that he used a "smaller" bad on me. It all depends on your own personal plumbing I guess.

I guess the long and the short of it is, it's not working the way I thought it would. I had no idea that my 2 eating outcomes would be 1) bottomless pit or 2) choking after 3 bites. I'm not complaining! I've told my facilitator all this stuff and she just keep throwing me the whole "learning curve" spiel. (sigh)...

Does it seem that you are getting stuck mostly when eating bread items? I know that I can not ever do white bread, and cannot do any bread at all that is not toasted. I get stuck and it really hurts. I can sometimes do a small piece of whole wheat toast with jelly. But teeny tiny bites, and lots of chewing and eat it slowly.

You mentioned the sub sandwich and the bread was my first thought, but I also have problems getting down processed lunch meat as well. For some reason it does not chew the same as the deli meat. That is another thought. I know that different foods will affect each person differently. For instance I have no problems eating corn. Some lapbanders get stuck with corn. Keep a log of what you eat, and what causes problems. That should help. Also talk to your doctor and or nutritionist. They should be able to help.

Kathy