Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"You weren't that big?!?!"

See, in comparison to Jachut, my loose skin situation was a nightmare. I have had 4 kids and with each kid, my skin would get terrible stretch marks, my skin would blow out, and after having the baby, it would never bounce back.

By the time I'd had number 4, it had been so stretched all out of shape that I know I had no hope of returning to what it looked like before. And it wasn't about time either. My 3rd and 4th kids have 12 years between them, so my skin had loads of time to bounce back but never did. It was pretty much stuffed long before I ever lost an ounce.

By the time I had PS, I had hit goal and had a 'skirt' of skin that hung around my entire body, overhanging my pubis, my hips, my backside. It was not simply 'unattractive', it looked abnormal. I looked like I had been melted from the waist down.

I started with a low BMI too (37) but I could have been thin all my life and my skin still would have looked terrible as a result of having babies. Maybe not AS terrible as having babies AND losing weight, but even after my first kid, when I was still a size 12, I didn't have a stomache like Jachut's.

I am with you, after 4 kids my lower abdomen is a wreck. It was like this after kid #1 actually, and never recovered. The above-belly button area is just fine, thankfully. And my problem is just the "apron," not around my waist or back or anything (well, not yet at least).

Great job, I sure hope I am as successful as you! And when I am done, I will be going for the tummy tuck!

Hi ColoradoMom,

August 20th.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hope you can have your surgery soon. I just found out today that I was approved for surgery by my insurance company. :cursing: I'm sure the insurance company looked at my records for the last year and can see that they have paid out $$$$ for my many visits to PT, Chiropractor and my Cardiologist. I know the 800 range of my tryglicerides amazed my cardiologist so I'm sure the insurance company saw it too. I also have a family history of diabetes, heart attacks etc. My dad passed away at 66! My approval came just in time as I was at my orthopedic doctors today as my knee has been hurting and swelling. I have had two previous knee meniscus surgeries and I am hoping that I don't have to have another surgery. He gave me a cortison shot - another reason I need to drop some weight. I also live in the land of the slim and fit in Southern California. I almost told my daughter today but then decided not to. She's in her thirties and weighs a mere 112 pounds! She has been lucky so far as she takes after her fathers side of the family. I might tell her the night before I go in for surgery - but then again I just might keep it private. I'm sorry you don't have insurance to cover your surgery. I know I would have found the money if I had to as I can not deal any more. I have heard the price can be anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 here in Southern California. BTW As I told you I was just approved today. But last month my insurance covered all of my other testing. sleep Apnea test, blood work, Upper GI test, some swallow test, cardio pulmonary test etc. So hopefully your insurance will cover some of the other expenses that aren't necessarily for pre lapband surgery. I didn't realize that even if you are paying for the surgery yourself that you have to have a BMI of 40? Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Yeah! Awesome that you got your approval! :(

Yes, I am paying $10k here in Colorado (really more than that because I have to travel and pay for hotel, etc). I have what I thought was excellent insurance - we pay $16k per year out of pocket for monthly premiums! But no WLS is covered at all. At least all the pre-op stuff is part of the lap band package at my surgeon's office. And when you are self-pay the pre-op tests are much less extensive.

I did not actually need a BMI of 40 since I have other issues, I was just saying that in the past year I tried to diet and instead of losing I gained 30 lbs!!!! All the way up to BMI 40.

I am doing a pre-op diet now and have lost 5 lbs so far, that brings me to BMI 39. I guess I carrry my weight pretty well, it is almost all in my lower half (PEAR shaped!!!)

I was not planning to tell my mom, but then she called and I just spontaneously told her. She was really excited for me. She decided to look into what her insurance might cover if she could go that route too! You might be surprised what your daughter would say - I'll bet she would be supportive. Most of us just want our loved ones to be healthy and happy.

Great to hear your news, good luck!:wink2:

Even though I said I was NOT going to tell anyone other than my husband about my upcoming surgery I decided to let my grown daughter know - just in case something didn't go right. I asked her to keep it private. She was surprised and wanted all the details about the procedure. I am currently scheduled for mid September! I too want it done before I get any bigger. There have been many times in my life when I've done something and thought gee why did I wait so long to to this. I think being banded will be one of these things I will think about next year!

Glad to see your surgery is scheduled soon. Good Luck!

So glad your Mom is supportive as my daughter is being for me. My daughter was here visiting and I just sort of blurted it out too! I am starting on my pre operative diet too! I don't have a pear shape but I really don't have a shape at all anymore well I guess I am now an apple shape. Big in the middle which is soooo bad for your heart etc. I have lost weight the last year or so but then gain it back + more. So this will stop for us soon!

Im 5'4 and i was 225 when banded. I too carried my weight well. I can't count the number of times i heard "just work out a few times a week" or "you dont need surgery you aren't that fat" meanwhile my BP was out of control, my knees were killing me and i felt like crap all the time. Not to mention i was probably on my way to being a whole lot heavier. I finally started asking people if they thought i should have waited til i weighed 300 pounds and could'nt see my own feet? Thst shut a few people up.

Hello Jennifer, I have the exact stats as you........may I ask how long it took to drop that weight? Any suggestions? My surgery is set for Sept 22, my wedding in next May.....I need help with the food part, I work out 3-4 times a week with Zumba and yoga, no one guesses my weight I"m a 14 sometime 16 and its just working for me anymore, I have told my parents, husband to be and my circle of friends....thats it......I"ve dropped 6 lbs so far and my coworkers see it I doing the Atkins thing until surgery and I have so much more energy......and suggestions would be appreciated. THanks

When people ask me I just simply say I eat less and I move more. That is simply the truth for me. Hope it works for you. No one need s to know you had a surgery. It really doesn't matter because the simple truth is is that you are eating less and moving more, PERIOD!!

Hi my BMI is 37 and I am going to try to have the insurance approve it and I have onl told my close friends and relatives. Did anyone have the band approved by the insurance? I have BCBS of IL Also I am just strating to look into the lap band does anyone have any advise. I appreciate any comments.

Thank you

I had mine approved through insurance. My surgery was yesterday. I have Aetna, though. Make sure you find their requirements on their website so you have it in writing what they need to approve you. I had to have four visits (three full months) worth of nutritionist and doctor visits noting an exercise plan. If your BMI is under 40 you also need a co morbidity. Mine was sleep apnea. Be careful, because they have a set number for how bad your sleep apnea has to be, too. I had to have my test redone and it had gotten worse. I guess that was good in my situation because the number was then bad enough to get approval.

Thank you for responding and I wish you a speedy recovery to your surgery. I called my insurance and all they told me that the lap band is approved but I do have to have co-morbilities. I have arthritis in back and I have a dfamily history of Diabetes and I have GERD so I am hopping that helps. The only bad thing is that I have HMO so I need a referal for everything. My doctor submitted the request to my insurance to see a surgeon for the consultation. The doctors office said it takes about two weeks to receive the referal so I am nervous and I have not even started. I dont think I have sleep apnea. Well I wish you the best. If you have any other advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Im 5'4 and i was 225 when banded. I too carried my weight well. I can't count the number of times i heard "just work out a few times a week" or "you dont need surgery you aren't that fat" meanwhile my BP was out of control, my knees were killing me and i felt like crap all the time. Not to mention i was probably on my way to being a whole lot heavier. I finally started asking people if they thought i should have waited til i weighed 300 pounds and could'nt see my own feet? Thst shut a few people up.

I can't tell you how many times I heard the same thing before I was banded... the worse one was my doctor! My doc kept telling me I wasn't that big and surgery was only for people who were MORBIDLY OBESE ....... I was about 130 pounds overweight by HIS scales at that time! Wonder how much bigger I would have had to have gotten before HE WOULD HAVE APPROVED THE BAND? I got tired of BEGGING FOR HELP and went to Mexico and did the self-pay thing... No one knows your body like you do.. Why do we have to BEG FOR HELP? So glad to know I am not the only one with these "SO-CALLED HELPFUL FRIENDS" LOL!

beatriz- Have your PCP do a full blood work up and check your BP. I had a history of being 'close' with the high BP, and then at the start of my 6 mo. I had high BP at my first visit so they put me on meds. (I'm sure part of it was that I was so nervous about this initial visit). I've seen many here who didn't even know they had a comorbidity until their doc looked for them. Mine needed to be one of the 'big 5' to count for insurance (most insurance is the same, but not all): high BP, high cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes, sleep Apnea, or obesity related heart disease. The other things I have (osteoarthritis, stress incontinence, adult onset asthma) don't get you approved, but will help your case.

I was just at 35BMI when I first started looking into this and gained a few pounds before my first weigh-in (have about 100 to lose total and I'm down 55 now). No one knows about the LB (except DH) and I tell them "I'm no longer dieting...I now eat anything, just with portion control." It's easy for them to accept as everyone has seen me lose big amounts of weight many times over. This time I'M KEEPING IT OFF!

Best wishes all!

Great Thread!! I was just banded and have about 40 lbs to loose. I havent told many people about the band because I have gotten that from many people"Why dont you exercise and diet"!!! Thats what Ive been doing all my life...not seeing complete results. Im working out and eating well...just got my first fill a week or two ago...but for the first time Im loosing weight quickly or quicker than I have in the past and everything is just loosening up too fast.... Really paranoid about the loose skin because dont think I want anymore surgery. Hitting the gym at least 3 times just for resistance training. Hope it works. Good Luck to ALL!

I too had the same stats as you. I am 4 weeks post op.

I got, 'i can't believe you did this just to lose 60 lbs..'

my reply.... i didn't do it to lose 60 lbs, i did it to KEEP OFF 60 lbs. i can lose till the cows come home, been doing it since i was 13. its the keep it off part that i suck at!

When people also said that you're not that big, i just thanked them, and said healtwise, I am.....

I took that as a compliment. they're basically telling you your skinny is a round-a-bout way.

Good for you! I am 3 days post-op & only told 3 people besides my husband. My BMI was 36 & in conversations with my friends, everyone was saying that I didn't need it or don't have enough to lose. That's when I made the decision to limit the people that I told. Looking forward to losing!!!

I am getting that now when I go for another Fill.. Everybody keeps telling me I am small enough, but I know where I need to be, and I am not going to quit halfway! Keep up the good work! God Bless!

Edited by luckyfive101