Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a teen from Washington State

So before you judge, please hear me out. I'm 19 years old. I have been overweight my whole life (literally, you should see my baby pictures). I've tried dieting and exercising. Neighter works. Right now i weigh 302 lbs and my BMI is 48. I'm scared that soon i'll get diabetes because both my parents have it as well as my cousin, aunt, and uncle. I think my doctor is surprised that i haven't got it because everytime i go in i have to do a blood test to make sure. I'm also starting to have other issues. I have "woman issues" and think i have sleep apnea, I'm going to do my sleep study in the next month. Not to mention i can't even make it up the staires without gasping for air. Other than my health I also feel like because of my weight i've missed out on many opportunities that other teens got to have. I want to be able to enjoy my life. I feel like because of my weight people aren't comfortable approaching me eventhough i'm a very out going and fun person to be around. I've talked to my parents about lap band and they're behind me all the way if i'm sure. My insurance will also cover it. However i think my doctor will be hesitant about referring me because of my age. Does anyone have any suggestion to what i should say to my doctor to have him behind me on this? I've research this for 2 years so i am completely sure this is right for me.

So before you judge, please hear me out. I'm 19 years old. I have been overweight my whole life (literally, you should see my baby pictures). I've tried dieting and exercising. Neighter works. Right now i weigh 302 lbs and my BMI is 48. I'm scared that soon i'll get diabetes because both my parents have it as well as my cousin, aunt, and uncle. I think my doctor is surprised that i haven't got it because everytime i go in i have to do a blood test to make sure. I'm also starting to have other issues. I have "woman issues" and think i have sleep apnea, I'm going to do my sleep study in the next month. Not to mention i can't even make it up the staires without gasping for air. Other than my health I also feel like because of my weight i've missed out on many opportunities that other teens got to have. I want to be able to enjoy my life. I feel like because of my weight people aren't comfortable approaching me eventhough i'm a very out going and fun person to be around. I've talked to my parents about lap band and they're behind me all the way if i'm sure. My insurance will also cover it. However i think my doctor will be hesitant about referring me because of my age. Does anyone have any suggestion to what i should say to my doctor to have him behind me on this? I've research this for 2 years so i am completely sure this is right for me.

Hi Lalida,

You know, I was the very same way growing up. I am 37 now, but I remember being a teenager and being overweight....not fun. I think it's great you have decided to seek help through the band! I wish it would have been around when I was at least in my early 20s. :()

Okay, first thing's first, visit your doctor and explain to him that this is very important to you, as you will still have to follow a diet and exercise even with the band. If he won't support you, then I would suggest seeking a new doctor.

This is what happened to me. My family doctor said whatever I needed from her to have the band done she would do. My insurance required a letter from my primary care physician stating some of my history on it, etc. I faxed a sample copy of the letter to her, and waited 3 weeks, and she never wrote it out. I took the advice of the bariatric coordinator and used the template of the letter and wrote the letter MYSELF to make it easier for her to look at and make any corrections needed. Still, 2 months later, she never did it. So, I knew it was important for me to have the letter, so I asked my bariatric coordinator for a list of names of doctors that they knew of that accepted patient's and would continue to see patient's after banding. I changed doctors and got what I needed the very day I went to see him. They got my letter to my surgeon BEFORE the office closed that evening.

So, if your doctor won't support you, find one who will. Good luck and please keep us posted! :biggrin:)

Paulette

Hi Lalida,

I have almost been in the same boat as you as well. I have been overweight since I was about 6 years old, and those of you who have been overweight know how awful children can be about it. I finally decided when I was 20 that enough is enough, and talked to my pcp about it. He has been nothing but supportive , in fact he is the one who personally called my surgeon and got me the quickest appt. I am very lucky that I have the support from my doctors that I do. With that said, you should find a doc that will help you in any way like it was said before. This is your health so be an advocate for it. Have you met with any surgeons yet? Search around this site I am sure there are others who have the same situation going on, and we can all help in supporting you. So good luck, and don't give up. The band was the best thing I ever did and I am so glad I got control of my life young, and I hope you do to!

Hi Lalida!

I can feel where you are coming from when you say that you have missed out on Teenage Expierience's. It really hurts when you can't go shopping, ride the same rides, or when your friends feel like they have to watch what they say.

Just speak your concern's to your doctor and make it clear that if he won't approve you, someone else will. I was lucky, my doctor wanted me to get it six months ago, but my family just wasn't sure. Now we are, and we will search the entire state of Texas for a doctor that will approve me if this one won't.

If you ever need someone to just talk to (My friends call me the Shrink. lol) then just message me or something. And keep me updated!!!:(