Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My friend has got me thinking negative!

Here I go again! I was calm, feeling good and confident about the surgery even though the Dr is leaving the practice a month later, even though I'm going on a 9 day cruise less than 3 weeks later.

So she calls me up this morning and says I gotta tell I don't feel good about this and niether does my husband. Whats the rush. You booked the cruise. It's not everyday you book a cruise.

He (my Dr) has jerked me around with the dates now 3 times. Are you sure you really want to go with him, he can't be the only surgeon out there ther has got to be others.

We want you to be your fun crazy self on the cruise. What if something goes wrong. Do you really trust this Dr?

AHHHH now not only am I starving today and my emotions are a reck anyway, now I'm second guessing everything again! I know leagally the doctor can't tell me where he is going. All I know is that he is leaving the surgical group. I don't know if he is opening up another practice in the area or not. I'm sure hoping he is. If it wasn't for the stupid cruise that we already paid for and can't get out of I would do the surgery with out second guessing. But, he is leaving and the only date I can get before he leaves is the 26th!

Is there any way to find out if a doctor is starting a new practice before he leaves the old? Does any one has any insite on this. Also I'm I nuts!!!!!!

tell us again why it HAS to be this guy? I dunno I would just go and have it done and trust all will be fine-I mean honestly I seriously doubt Ill ever see my band doc again-whether he leaves practice or not its not like itll be that huge-well it wouldnt to me but you really should trust YOUR instincts.

If you are 2nd guessing yourself, there is a reason for it. Is this the only Dr. in your area who does the band? Will he take you on afterwards in his new practice? If not then why does it matter if you use him or stay with the practice where he is leaving. Do you know even if he is leaving the surgical group to go to another one and still do the lap bands?

While your doc can't tell you WHERE he is going, he might be able to tell you THAT he is going to a) retire. :) open a new practice. c) relocate. You should call him and ask.

I think the legal thing involves him not "stealing" patients from the existing practise. If he is going to retire, I don't think that would be an issue. Just tell him you are concerned about after-care for your band and see if he will give you any hints.

Then you can make a decision to have the surgery now, have it later with another doc, or have it later with this doc in his new digs (if he is starting anew).

Sadly, nobody can make this decision for you - not even your friend.

Good luck!

Generaly doubt....means NO! Do not 2nd guess the inner voice that has already given you your answer. I wish you peace and luck.

If I were in your shoes...knowing how well it's gone for me. I wouldn't 2nd guess anything. I would go for have it done and have fun. Could it be your nerves because of the surgery is just a week away. I know I was a nervous wreck the week before surgery. It was major open heart surgery yes I would HIGHLY reconsider having it done with someone who is leaving....I think you will feel muh better after you have your talk with Dr. V on monday. I know I will...

Hang in there but I will say YOU are the only one that knows if this is right for you or not.

I just have one question. If the doctor is leaving the practice who will be your doctor for your aftercare? I would make sure I know what to expect after the surgery. This is not RNY and the aftercare is very important. That's the only thing I would be worried about.

Thanks for all your support. I know I will feel better after meeting with him on Monday. Kim I hope to see you there. .

We went out to dinner tonight to see the inlaws. We went to a resturant that usually has great Soup. I had only had 1 protien drink and a pudding so I was at 270 calories. Well the resturant had lousy soup tonight so I ordered flounder and only had 1/4 of it. It was very wierd being in a resturant not being able to eat. I guess that to is something to get used to. Thanks agian!

I dont mean to be a kill joy.Are you sure that they will have what you need to be eating on the cruise?Can you go on the cruise and have the surgery when you get back?

I dont mean to be a kill joy.Are you sure that they will have what you need to be eating on the cruise?

Good question, I know for me at 3 weeks post op I was just starting the mushy food phase that lasted a week.I was on liquids for 3 weeks , mushy foods for 2 weeks and then solids at 6 weeks post op Every Dr. has different post op instructions so be sure to chek what your's is before going.

I really found I just had to push ahead, I was definitely second guessing and really made the decision not to do it, which I think I needed to make at that time. But I realised I was second guessing myself not because I was afraid I wasnt doing the right thing or afraid of the surgery - I was afraid of being successful. No more excuses, no more I'll start tomorrows, once the band is in, I have to do the job. That's very scary.

If it were me, I'd be much more interested in what's going to happen when my doctor leaves the practice than in anyone else's opinion about my behavior on a cruise.

My doctor's practice has three surgeons at the moment, and a while back had four. If one of the doctors were to leave the practice, the aftercare program would be intact and there'd be other doctors to take care of any problems. If your surgeon is the ONLY surgeon you have access to, the important thing is that you find out what you should do if you have problems. If he has good backup and you're comfortable with them, the fact that he personally is leaving may not be so important.

As for the cruise, only you can decide if you want to go. Find out what your post-op eating plan is and where you'll be at that point. Think carefully about whether you'll even enjoy a cruise if you're unable to participate in the food orgy. What is it about the cruise that you're looking forward to, and will it be fun without the margarita or buffet? You don't want to risk hurting yourself by overeating (which means you shouldn't drink at all either), and some people just won't have any fun if they have to restrict themselves in a situation like that.

You may very well be able to say that you WILL totally enjoy the environment and just have a blast without the usual accoutrements. When I was on Optifast years ago (that's a TOTAL fast, for three months, just Protein Drinks and clear liquids) I was a bridesmaid in a wedding in Bermuda. I attended all the events and just passed on all the amazing food and drink, and managed to have a wonderful time nonetheless. :)

Thanks... I'm not afraid about over eating I never do on cruises I'm just nervous about how I will physically feel. Plus I'm just to darn tired at the end of the day to stay awake for the buffet!

Thanks for you input.

I wish you luck in your final decision. You'll know in your heart what to do.

I will say that I would want very firm direct answers about my Doctor & aftercare. I will also say that just because you wait for a month or two more doesn't mean your not commited or that your afraid or something. It just means that things will happen when the timing is right. Best of luck! We're all behind you no matter when you get your band:0)