Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heading to Mexico...

Ok well this is the husband, the VERY supportive husband...well my wife is planning on getting the Lap Band in the next few weeks in TJ, by Dr. Ortiz. I have heard that he has done a great job from what I have read on here. My question is this.

After the surgery what should we look for...meaning!

1) Will she miss any work after there surgery.

2) How often would she have to get the band refilled?

3) Diet, How hard is it to get used to it. Understand you cant eat food for 21 days.

I could go on and on but understand this is a lifestyle change and before we go through with this I need to make sure she understands what she is getting into.

Thank you for your inputs

Erick

Bump bump bump

Erick I don't know exactly- BUT I'm having surgery by Dr Ortiz on wednesday, so I can get back to you!

You can always e-mail your patient coordinator- Carolyn is very good at responding to her emails.

Can I just say though, that you can't make her understand what shes getting herself into. Be supportive by just being supportive-help her stay strong through her pre-op dieting, if she has a question help her find the answer on here.

What shes getting herself into is a road to a happier, healthier life! Of course theres trials and tribulations along the way but that makes victory all the more sweeter.

Good Luck, and I'll keep you posted about the aftercare and postop dieting.

Erick: With all due respect, if you are the husband of a woman who is less than 40 pounds over-weight, who is going to Mexico to get a lap-band for WEIGHT LOSS, and you are asking these basic questions, something tells me neither of you has appropriately investigated this procedure, its purpose and its risks.

I'm afraid you may be supportive of your wife, who is no longer a "size 4" going to get weight loss surgery to be a "size 4" again, but, frankly, myself and probably a few others here are not quite as supportive.

In my opinion, you would serve your wife better "supporting" her with a good therapist and a solid, healthy weight loss program for women who are moderately overweight.

HEY! i have not done my band in Mexico but i can answer your questions , note that i have been banded for a year now:

1) Will she miss any work after there surgery.

I went two work 2 days after my surgery, sure i was in a bit of pain, but my job is relaxing and doesnt need much hard work!

2) How often would she have to get the band refilled?

When you feel that the band has gotten looser, and you can eat much more than usual, i go get checked and get filled.. I usually have one week of free fill or unfill after the fill i paid for (I pay for everything) so its usually up to me how tight or loose i want it! most people go every 2 months! i dont do that!

3) Diet, How hard is it to get used to it. Understand you cant eat food for 21 days.

Belive me, you would not want to eat for 21 days or more LOL, its a surgery, and you wont be hungry, also getting Water to be swallowed is hard enough, but then you can always eat mushy stuff, like liquid mashed potatoes or boiled tomatoes with some spices (also mashed), use your imagination :blushing:

Good luck! I love my band and would never leave it Hopefully :confused:

This is the Husband here I created my own account so for anyone to say that this Agnes who posted this it was not I org posted it and then she changed the name. Anyways Enote is her hubby and I am VERY supportive.

Thank you so much ghannouge for answering my questions. That was very helpful.

TopTier - You can go to some place very warm!!! All you have to say are neg things and I really could careless about what you think. So from now on I would just keep your rude comments to your self.

Take care everyone

Edited by Enote

Hi Enote,

I was banded 6/08. I was banded in Louisiana. It's nice to see another supportive spouse. Mine wasn't, at first. But the more research I did, the more supportive he began.

As far as when anyone goes back to work ... it's different to everyone. Some people on here were back to work 3 days after the surgery. It took me about 10 days.

I will say this, I had to go back to the surgeons office 5 days after surgery, I couldn't keep anything down and was dry heaving. My hubs drove me. My hubs is one of those that thinks stuff on docs counters are toys to be picked up, inspected, ect ... drives me nuts! Anyway, he saw the tummy model there w/the band on it.

OMG, he embarrassed me soooo much. When the nurse practitioner came in, he started asking all kinds of questions, "Is this what it looks like, is it this pliable, how many cc's does it hold ... blah blah blah" He was asking stuff that I had either told him or that I had shown him on web pages. The nurse shot me a look that said, 'I thought you said you did your research and discussed w/your hubs.' I wanted a hole to open up in the floor and swallow me, right then and there!

I wanted to say something on the other thread, but didn't want to get caught up dealing w/some who can't see beyond their own own narrow sighted opinions/experience/knowledge.

I did however, applaud headhunter and wasa :smile2:

Now, I am married to a sailor. So I have heard a lot of colorful stuff on our 16 years of marriage. One of the things he told me realy on in our marriage when I was upset about something goes like this:

"Opinions are like assholes. We all have them and we think ours are the only ones that don't stink."

Don't let some nay-sayers get to you or your wife. Sounds like she has some serious health problems that need to be addressed and you both are doing just that.

Good luck :lol:

Edited by Kristine73

Erick: With all due respect, if you are the husband of a woman who is less than 40 pounds over-weight, who is going to Mexico to get a lap-band for WEIGHT LOSS, and you are asking these basic questions, something tells me neither of you has appropriately investigated this procedure, its purpose and its risks.

I'm afraid you may be supportive of your wife, who is no longer a "size 4" going to get weight loss surgery to be a "size 4" again, but, frankly, myself and probably a few others here are not quite as supportive.

In my opinion, you would serve your wife better "supporting" her with a good therapist and a solid, healthy weight loss program for women who are moderately overweight.

You know, if you don't lay off this poor person I am going to start reporting your posts for harassment. You have done it extensively in another thread and you know what? I figured out why you have such a hang up about this poor girl.

I was looking at your profile. You and Agnes are both 5'1" tall. Agnes weighs 166, her BMI is 31. Her goal is to be a normal weight of a BMI of 21-23. Your goal at the same height as Agnes is to be 175#, or a BMI of 33. You are the same height as Agnes but her starting weight is less than your goal weight. This is why you are having such a problem with her, isn't it?

I'm not knocking your goal weight, we each choose where we want to be. But com'on, your goal is to be obese and Agnes goal is to be normal weight. She is NOT being unrealistic, you are by following her around telling her she is wrong, has mental problems, she's lying about her weight, and all the other horrors you wrote in the last few days to this poor girl in various threads.

Please stop following her around telling her she should stay obese, she doesn't want to. You have a right to your weight goals and she has a right to hers and there isn't a thing in the world you can do about it.

I heart WasAbubbleButt!!!

Jeez.

TopTier, I told you dig a hole and get in.

You were NOT given permission to climb out. Shame on you.

Perhaps it might have something to do with an inability to do something as simple USE A SHOVEL.

Well, now. Let me see if I’m reading this right.

Agnes has made a well informed, conscious decision to have a Lap band installed.

Her loving Husband, Erick, has come on this board to ask some questions so that he can provide additional support and care for his wife post-surgery. (and this is a WONDERFUL show of support, I haven’t seen a spouse come online for this, on this board yet…)

So, this snarky little troll (who doesn’t even have a band yet) is going to break in, and give some “advice” that is:

1.) Not welcome.

2.) Stupid.

3.) Not welcome

4.) Even stupider than the first time I said it.

Multiple people in a previous thread have told you to sit down, shut up, and quit pretending that you actually KNOW anything. Because you do NOT. And for you to barge in here again and try and plant some seeds of doubt in the mind of her husband is REPREHENSIBLE.

Wasa….Wasa…..can we get a Water hose in here? This TopTier character is like two horny dogs trying to screw…..you just CAN’T keep them apart! Can’t we keep this reprobate from vomiting all over the place?

CAN’T we find a way to make abortion retroactive in her case?

Erick:

As I said, I don’t think I have seen a husband come on board here to ask additional questions for the support of his wife. My hat is off to ya. Ignore the cretin. She’s just trying to kill some time until her next Parole Hearing.

Agnes’s choice is a good one, and this is coming from someone who is not always supportive of the lap band. One of the MOST important elements for success with the band is the support of people around you; Family, friends, and people who you are around on a regular basis.

Life with the band is not always easy, but it DOES provide an answer to a specific problem, IF you use it the right way.

Just continue to ask your questions, and people here are happy to provide answers. If you search the forums, you will find that many of your questions (and questions that you didn’t even know you had!) have already been answered.

We like Agnes. She’s a smart lady who has made a tough decision…but it’s the RIGHT decision. And with your support there is NO DOUBT that she will be successful, and HEALTHY.

One piece of advice: Tonight, before you go to bed, I would keep a clove of Garlic, a wooden stake, and a pistol with a silver bullet in it nearby. I can just picture TopTier trying to climb through your window, screaming “ I just wanna be HEARD…I just want people to think I’m smart and that I know something!! Wa WA WA!!”

One silver Bullet. Pop. That’s all you need.

HH

What a week. I'm goin' to vegas.

HeadHunter! You are great!!!

Thanks for the good laugh!

And I thank you, I try to be very supportive they way I look at it is she is getting the surgery and is changing her life and my wife is my life so its our surgery not just hers, so I will be there every step of the way.

Week and a half till she gets the Lapband. I will be sure to keep you all informed.

Thanks again,

Erick (Enote)

Actually HH Top Tier was banded on the 24th!!!! So she is banded now!!!:thumbup: Jennifer

HH, you must learn to make your points without personal attacks. Same goes for Wasa and TopTier. Your opinions are all excessively clear and there is no need to continue the ranting.

Alex I could not agreemore but HH and Wasa are only speaking there mind cause they were sticking up for a new member (agnes)

Top Tier took it upon her self to be rude and hurtful for no reason.

In anycase I hope her banding went ok and she recovers fully

Take Care,

Erick

Edited by Agnes

Agnes,

I would like to say go for it and dont' listen to the negative people on these forums. I just had surgery yesterday and I am still down in Tj, Mexico enjoying myself. The surgery was a brezze and yes you have a few uncomptable moments but all in all its worth it. Good luck and I can't wait to see the changes take off for you. Im sure you won't regret it.:thumbdown:

Edited by AU09