Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you feel after your first fill?

I had my first fill on the 29th, just about 42 hours ago - I now have about 1 cc, maybe a little more, in my band. Before my fill I could eat pretty much anything with no problem, just a lot less than I used to eat. My doc said I shouldn't notice any difference with liquids, and should notice some difference (but nothing extreme) with solids. He also said I might want to stick to liquids that night, and then I should be OK to eat whatever I can tolerate.

Since then I've had Protein shakes and Soup, in addition to the things I drink (Water, tea, etc.) - I didn't see any need to rush myself back into eating solids, I figured I'd give it a little more time than just the night of my fill. When I drink something, I nearly always feel like I need to burp after I take a sip. I'd fixed baked Beans for a work potluck today, and this morning I took a tiny bite - mostly sauce, just a couple of Beans (I'd fixed them in the crockpot, so they're pretty mushy). It almost felt like that tiny bite got stuck! :D I can still kind of feel it, and I took that little bite over an hour ago. It doesn't feel like there's room for any more food in there, but I know I'm hungry - my stomach is growling like mad, and a Protein shake is all I've had today besides that little bite of beans.

Is this normal after a first fill? Can I expect this to get better? I know it's still pretty soon after the fill, but right now I'm pretty cranky because I'm afraid to try any food after the way that bite of beans made me feel. And I know I'll be miserable if it's time to eat, I'm truly hungry (not just head hungry), but afraid to put any food in my mouth. Do I call the doc, or give it a little more time to see if it settles down?

It is possible that your stomach is swollen from the trauma of a fill - mine does not.

It sounds as though you may be too tight. However, remember that most people are very tight in the mornings, so it is possible that mushy Beans first thing in the morning is not going to work for you, but perhaps later in the day they will.

As long as you are able to get in your liquids, I personally would give it a day or too unless the restriction gets worse. Even if you are eating mushy things, be sure to chew, chew chew and eat very very slowly. Of course, you know yourself best, and waiting may not be best for YOU.

If you do wait, make sure you are getting in your Protein drinks. This will help keep your blood sugar even and keep you nourished - if liquids are going through slowly, it should also help with your hunger.

Keep us posted!

My doctor told me do stay on liquids for 7 days if possible when I got my first fill. I stuck to it for about 4 days lols....

Thanks, y'all! :D

Leo, my doc didn't tell me I had to do liquids for that long, and I wasn't strong enough to make myself do it! :D

Maybe it's just a morning thing with me. We had our potluck at work, and I was able to eat a decent amount (soft stuff like the Beans and some potato salad, I wasn't brave enough to tackle the ham quite yet! LOL). I just made sure to chew real well. Maybe that's all I need to do. I'll just keep an eye on things for now and see how I settle in.

Since I got decent re-fill (I had been unfilled for a while) I am unable to eat much of anything before 10:30 a.m. I CAN drink some really good 1/2 a cup of fat-free milk, 1/2 a cup of coffee w/ a scoop or so of no-sugar-added vanilla powder. It's so much fun, that eating Breakfast isn't even an issue.

Sue

*now dealing with the fact that I can eat late in the day*

Hey Lisa,

My first fill was two weeks ago, and yeah, the restriction was pretty surprising in the beginning. It made me very nervous for the first few days as I learned how to eat with it.

Now it's much, much better, and only really makes itself felt when I take too big a bite. I think that at least part of what people perceive as a lessening of restriction is, in fact, an increase in understanding how to eat with the band.

Take it easy, it may take a week or so for you to learn how it feels, and when. I personally haven't had that experience of being tighter in the morning, for example, but I do have other times of greater restriction that can take me by surprise if I'm not careful.