Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pounds -vs- Inches

Hello all,

I need help with pounds -vs- inches. I work out 5 times a week. Treadmill with incline (5 & 8) for 45 mintues. Then I am off to the weight machines. Leg press and chest press and few others not sure about the name. The scale is slowly moving. And, I am seeinf differnt things in the mirror. Please explain it to me.

Sugga4Fun

I posted something along the same lines so do a forum search and you should find something along this subject that I posted. However I can add I am in the same boat I have lost over 10" total but my weight is steady at 15lbs. I might have lost some more this week... but I will check 2mor.

Muscle does weigh more the fat. So you are most likely building muscle. So hang in there the weight will come off. You look like you have done well with the weight loss so far so congrats.. Take care

I actually had to read your post a couple of times - because at first I thought what you had been doing wasnt working but then when I re-read it, it seems the scale is moving and the mirror image is changing! All good.

I am a big believer in interval training. I used to believe that the longer I worked out - it must be better. When I got banded I switched to intervals - and it seems to have worked.

The concept is fast/ normal. So whatever your doing you do some faster - then some at a slower normal rate.

It can be applied to the stairmaster, the treadmill - or even "old fashion" things like jumping jacks.

So lets say you are walking on a treadmill at a rate of 4.0 - maybe you try doing 4.4. (or what ever your comfortable with) for say 3 mins. Then you drop back to 3.7 for say 3 mins. Each segment of time being an interval. You could do how ever many intervals you are comfortable with.

The studies stay that it tricks the body to burn calories at a faster rate then if you just stay at the 4.0 for the whole 6 mins. Hope that helps

What exactly is interval training?

My definition of interval training is add periods of intensity during an exercise. For instance, if I'm on the treadmill doing a speed of say 5.0 (12 mi. per min.) after a period of about 15 mins. I increase the speed to 6.0 just for a few minutes -- 2 to 3 mins. and then decrease it back down to 5.0 (without stopping or resting) and continue to work out at my original pace. You do this say every 15 to 30 mins. during your workout. You will gain more endurance by doing this and many people believe you also burn more fat by doing this and some people say it helps get the scale to move if your at a plateau period. Another thing you can do during a plateau is to chane your workout -- i.e., if you ride a bike try a stair step machine, if you swim, try a step aerobics class, etc. Sometimes that helps to get your body to react again. You didn't post how long it has taken you to lose the weight you have lost. Most bandsters lose slowly, only one or two pounds per week. Most of all, keep up all the good work and keep exercising and stay positive -- you will continue to succeed with your band. Good luck and I hope this helps. Linda