Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Voluntary Pre-Op Dieting

What did you do, prior to the pre-op diet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What did you do, prior to the pre-op diet?

• I kick started my weight loss with a self-imposed healthy eating and/or exercise plan!
    • I ate everything in sight, and then went looking for more...
    • I didn't really do either, I just continued as per normal.

Hi Guys

I am scheduled to be banded in just over 9 weeks time, on 18th August; my surgeon has asked me to do the Optifast diet for 14 days prior to surgery to shrink the fat around my liver, so that commences on 4th August.

I met with the nutritionist yesterday, and told her I was planning on commencing a self-imposed health kick as of tomorrow to get my mind and body into the right mindset.

I asked her whether any other lap band patients had done something similar and she advised me that she had never had another patient come through and voluntarily kick-start their weight loss early; in fact, most of the patients had basically gone on a massive eating binge right up until the mandatory pre-op diet commenced.

I started to second guess myself and wonder whether I am making the right choice here; but I've decided that this is the right decision for me.

I'm interested to know whether any of you chose to voluntarily kick-start your own pre-op diet, whether you were one of the binge eaters, or whether you just existed in blissful ignorance until the mandatory pre-op diet kicked in... and, why?

Miss K

I will be honest, my head wanted me to do what you are doing, but my psyche wouldn't let me.

One part of the reason I didn't was my husband. It's going to be hard enough on him to change his lifestyle along with mine, because he will. I didn't want him to have to self-sacrifice until he really has to.

Also, I have voluntarily adopted the Protein shakes for two meals a day. I did that when I got my surgery date. But there are a handful of restaurants that my husband and I really enjoy, and specific meals there that I know I won't be able to "gouge" myself on anymore.

So I'm doing the "last meals" thing!

Cheesecake Factory was Friday night. (surprisingly, I only ate less than half of my usual meal, though!)

Cheddars was last night (WTF?! I ordered a dinner salad?! Oh, that's right, I only wanted the croissant, anyway! DOH!)

And tonight I'm going to a place called Sake Blue for my favorite dish of all, Bi Bim Bop.

Then tomorrow AM starts the pre-op diet.

I think if I had ended up with a longer wait-period, I would have done what you are doing. But from the date of my 1st surgeon's appointment to my surgery only ended up being 3 weeks, so I didn't really have the time to dwell on a strategy like that!

My surgeon does not require a pre-op diet at all, just nothing after midnight the day before surgery.

I did the "Last Supper Syndrome" for a couple of weeks, then I went on the health-kick. I have slipped on that though ----- hubby wanted to go to some of our favs before it was 'too late', so I did that Fri and Sat. My surgery is tomorrow (Mon) so ----- I'm back to the 2 Protein shakes today and a sensible meal for dinner. just to 'clean myself up' a bit. :-)

My surgeon did not require a pre-op diet, well not until the day before surgery. But I had read so much on here about 'fatty liver', and I did not want that to be an issue for me so I went on a diet on my own. Lost 20lbs pre-op, which was a nice start.

I guess different surgeons have different issues and requirements.

Here is the intro to our instruction sheet for Pre-surgery diet:

It is recommended by your surgeon and dietitian to follow a low carbohydrate, liquid diet 7 days before surgery.

The purpose of this liquid diet
is to deplete the glycogen stores in your liver
, making the size of your liver smaller. This will make laparoscopic surgery easier.

Now, knowing what I know about the liver anyway, even if he didn't require this, I think I would have done it anyway, since anything to make the lap-band surgery placement easier gets a two-thumbs up from me!

But, as we all know, every surgeon is different. So as long as we are in line with what our doctors require or prefer, we're all A Students!

When I reached my highest weight I knew I needed to do something so I quit drinking soda and quit fast food that was 7 months ago and I lost 15 lbs just doing that, once I decided on surgery I started pre-op dieting right away b/c I need to lose 5%(15lbs). I'm down 26 lbs from highest which feels great! I have 10 days till my surgery and am sticking to my pre-op diet as best I can. I haven't had last supper syndrome, I've had enough big meals in my life, thats how I got here! I just wanna set myself up for sucess in banded life.

Just remember: Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels!

Thanks for the responses guys!

I started my voluntary health kick today, but sadly I had a restless night and woke up in a seriously foul mood. I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast, a low-fat/sugar yoghurt for morning tea, a chicken salad sandwich for lunch and almost a litre of Water, so that's not a bad effort.

I just went for a 20 minute walk but my heart really wasn't in it. One step at a time, I guess!

My surgeon does not require a pre-op diet at all, just nothing after midnight the day before surgery.

I did the "Last Supper Syndrome" for a couple of weeks, then I went on the health-kick. I have slipped on that though ----- hubby wanted to go to some of our favs before it was 'too late', so I did that Fri and Sat. My surgery is tomorrow (Mon) so ----- I'm back to the 2 Protein shakes today and a sensible meal for dinner. just to 'clean myself up' a bit. :-)

Are you kidding me?!??! My advice to you, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR if they suggest for a minute that you don't need a pre-op diet. You were lucky....but it is extremely risky not to have a pre-op diet. You have to be the perfect 10% of all patients who don't have either a fatty liver, or one that's enlarged due to high carb intake.

Why? Your liver is going to be in the way of where the doctor needs to operate. There are two MAJOR blood vessels near where the doctor will be poking and prodding around. The descending aorta and inferior vena cava. (see File:Gray531.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Your stomach rests on top of that area, and your liver on top of your stomach. The purpose of a pre-op diet, is to force your liver to burn excess glycogen, so that it shrinks and gives your surgeon extra room to operate. I don't care who the surgeon is, no surgeon is immune from error. One tiny slip up, and he can nick one of those two blood vessels, and you could bleed out by the time you got home.

If anyone considering surgery has their doctor suggest no-pre op diet, PLEASE seek a second opinion. A no pre-op diet is HIGHLY irresponsible of your surgeon. This is your life we're talking about.

Edited by DrStoooopid

The very day I met with my surgeon and made the decision to have LB surgery was the day I started my diet. I weighed in at 122kgs and I'd just had enough of being a lardarse.

My doc had told me I was a good candidate but warned me that he had just that morning refused to operate on a patient who had gained 15 kgs in the weeks prior to the surgery. The thought that the same thing could happen to me was a huge motivator. So I went shopping on the way home and started doing Protein shakes (Optifast) for breakfast and lunch and having a Lean Cuisine for dinner.

I dropped 12 kgs before I even started the pre op diet- and since my surgery 3 weeks ago I am down about another 10kgs. I think that once you make that decision to get banded and change your lifestyle, you have a responsibility to yourself to commit to it 110%

So, good luck with your pre-op diet- it's nice to see another Aussie on here! :)

I lost the required weight my Doctor prescribed, and he STILL had a lil' trouble. I was one of those one in a million "liver's still big" patients. I'm not saying it can't be done, but he had to keep me under longer, and I didn't really come around for quite a while afterward. (they even had to remind me to breathe a few times), my blood O2 got down into the high 80's..which is bad....but that can be attributed to sleep apnea.

As soon as I knew I would be doing this, I started on Medifast. I have 4 (100 c.) meals before the "lean and green" small portion dinner and 1 100c. snack after dinner. Overall it's between 800-1000 c. per day. I've lost 12 pounds following Medifast. I was never a soda drinker so didn't have to quit that. I did enjoy fast food, though, but had cut that down. I think the voluntary weight loss is a good way to wrap your mind around the path you're about to step upon. If you can't do the voluntary weight loss, how are you going to have the most success out of your band? This idea of going out to eat everything you won't be able to have afterward is self-defeating IMHO. :)

My insurance required a 6 month pre-op diet. Lost 20 lbs. Then my surgeon required a 2 week pre op and 2 week post op liquid only diet - lost 20 more lbs. So that's 40 pounds before the band even kicks in really. So, to me doing dieting before the banding helps. But on the other side with all the weight I had lost prior to banding (I had also lost 20 pounds on my own) my weight loss post banding has been slow. But I'm 75 lbs down and I am happy and I am not so tight that I can't eat most foods. And I exercise every day. Good luck.

My insurance required a 6 month pre-op diet. Lost 20 lbs. Then my surgeon required a 2 week pre op and 2 week post op liquid only diet - lost 20 more lbs. So that's 40 pounds before the band even kicks in really. So, to me doing dieting before the banding helps. But on the other side with all the weight I had lost prior to banding (I had also lost 20 pounds on my own) my weight loss post banding has been slow. But I'm 75 lbs down and I am happy and I am not so tight that I can't eat most foods. And I exercise every day. Good luck.

Yeah, you have to watch the insurance companies, because they try to get you to do that, so that they can say "oh but you can lose weight this way, so we're not going to pay it, and you'll just have to work with a nutritionist"....anything to keep from dropping a dime on the bottom line. For every day they hold onto that cash they would've paid to have the procedure done, they're making money in interest. It's an insurance adjuster's job not to pay out, or delay payment as long as possible, so they've devised these schemes to keep from forking over the dough.

I found out the 11th that I was going to have my surgery July 28th. My husband and I stopped going out to eat. I have been cooking healthier meals with lots of veggies. I started walking every night for about 45 min to an hour. I am required to go on a low carb diet 2 weeks before surgery but it doesn't have to be liquid. I think a couple days before surgery I am going to start a liquid diet just so I won't be in such a shock afterwards. My birthday is July 24th. I think that will be my last day of regular food. I am just too excited about my surgery and wish it was sooner. Jennifer

Yeah, you have to watch the insurance companies, because they try to get you to do that, so that they can say "oh but you can lose weight this way, so we're not going to pay it, and you'll just have to work with a nutritionist"....anything to keep from dropping a dime on the bottom line. For every day they hold onto that cash they would've paid to have the procedure done, they're making money in interest. It's an insurance adjuster's job not to pay out, or delay payment as long as possible, so they've devised these schemes to keep from forking over the dough.

My insurance company didn't have a set number of pounds for me to lose, but my doctor wanted me to lose 20. If I had not followed the 6 month plan and lost weight, my insurance company would not have approved. My BMI was actually slightly under 35 (34.8) 2 weeks before surgery and they approved it. Had I not complied with the 6 month program and lost weight they would have assumed that I wouldn't be able to follow a post-op banding diet either and would have denied. They had a woman who didn't follow any of the rules for the 6 month diet/exercise program and they denied her.

All that being said, I am not defending insurance companies because I am their biggest critic. It is my belief that they have only 3 goals:

1) sell policies

2) collect premiums

3) deny as many claims as they can