Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band pain after surgery

is it normal to have pain where the band is? Also when I have to burp it is causing pain around where the band is and i have to take a couple of deep breaths to get it to stop. is this normal?

thanks

im only on day three after banding and the first two days i had terrible gas pain. It did seem like it helped to take a deep breath. also GasX strips seemed to help a bunch. Walk around as much as u can, that will make the gas move too. i just walked around my apartment.

I am day 4 out and still have the gas pains and I just feel drained. I am taking a chewable vit with Iron daily and was wondering if I should take two. I go for my post op visit on Monday, June 15 and will ask all the questions then.

Also have the pain at the port site but I understand that is the norm and will be sore for a bit. I usually sleep on my left side but that is where the port is. I tried to lie that way and it feels like it is pulling. So now I am trying my right side. I am not a back sleeper and know that in time I can go back to my left side to sleep!

Eventhough I am whinning....I have no regrets!!!

I had that same kind of pain where it felt like I needed to burp really badly but instead just got a horrible wave of pain in my stomach. If you breath deeply when you feel it coming on, it's easier. It's totally normal though and will go away.

Yeah - I have the same pain with burpy stuff - I'm told it's normal too.... I was banded on Monday - 8th June.

I DO have a lot of pain with my port site - it feels like it's pulling like mad, and I haven't yet been able to sleep in bed, I've slept on the couch sitting up!!!

My pain killers knock me out, but it's not good quality sleep - it's horrid sleep!!! I'm surviving on about 3 hours a night at present!!!

I'm 16 days post op and I am still pretty sore to the touch around the port area. I am a tummy sleeper, but have been sleeping on my back since the surgery. I think it's ok to report how you really are feeling because I think it helps others in the future. I do not think its whinning if you are hurting. We have undergone a traumatic experience and I think we try to diminish that to appease those around us. I let my family and friends know that I am still in some discomfort. They have all been very understanding. Your body will heal. I am gaining my strength as the days go by. I still have some gas pains although not as bad.

I was banded on the 3rd. i have pain where the band is to if i sit up or have the gas. the funny thing is my port site doesn't bother me at all unless i try to lay on it. but 3 of my incisions have been leaking on and off for the last 4 days so i guess everyone has a different experience.

Yeah - I have the same pain with burpy stuff - I'm told it's normal too.... I was banded on Monday - 8th June.

I DO have a lot of pain with my port site - it feels like it's pulling like mad, and I haven't yet been able to sleep in bed, I've slept on the couch sitting up!!!

My pain killers knock me out, but it's not good quality sleep - it's horrid sleep!!! I'm surviving on about 3 hours a night at present!!!

Saffy,

I'm with you - was banded 6/5 and still can't sleep in my bed. I am still pretty sore and when I lay flat everything feels like it's pulling. I was able to take a nap on the bed this afternoon curled up on my side with lots of pillows- progress.

Good luck - I know we'll get through it.

I'm doing the samething. sleeping in sitting position. Only getting about 4 hours of sleep at a time. I'm going to try to sleep on side with pillow tonight. Port area is hard to the touch and has that pulling pinching feeling when I try to lay down. Gas x strips have been very helpful. that and the loritab liquid.< /p>

I totally know how all of you feel as well. I was just banded on 6/10 and I have pain around my port, kind of like a stinging feeling and I definitely have a lot of air in me. When I burp it feels like my stomach is going to come with it. I do feel a little better then the first two days. Today is day four and I am actually sitting up with minor pain for longer periods of time. I wasn't given any pain killers, they told me to take liquid tylenol or liquid IBUprofen (spelling?) and they both seem to work. On a good note, I am down 5 pounds. This liquid diet is killer!

I'm a June 10 bander myself. I agree with all of you. I know its sore. I have found when I drink my broth or slimfast if I walk when I do it it seems to go down better. Plus walking really helps with the gas.

Hi. I was also banded on June 10th. Walking helped me the most with the gas pain. Now, I feel like I am hungry all the time. It's a strange kind of hunger, not like before. Anyone else having this problem?

like most of you i was also banded on june 10th,,the first 2 days i slept on the sofa but then i went to bed, first night (day3) slept on my right side then last night was able to move from side to side slowly, my only pain is near the port site just the pulling and stinging like feeling that stops when i put my hand over it when i walk..doesn't hurt at all when im sitting or bent over..gas i still have it but walking helps most def..

Well I over did it. I thought I was ready to go back to light duty at work today. Took a shower, got dressed, put on make-up and was ready to tackle my day. I get to work and everyone wants to hug me and ask me how I was doing (I'm loved). Talking to everyone really wiped me out. I was exhausted. I was only there and hour before I felt clammy and dizzy. I decided to go home before I got nausious. I've slept all day since. Note to everyone, take it easy. Give yourself the time you need to mend. There is more to going back to work than work. I'm going to take my time before I go back. I deserve it.