Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the cause of your SLIPPAGE?

Was your band slipping due to drinking soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Was your band slipping due to drinking soda?

• Yes I drink soda everyday and had a slip
    • I drink soda 2-3 times/week and had a slip
    • I drink soda occasionally and had a slip
    • I never drink soda and had a slip

I have been somewhat scared of the whole band slippage. I want to know from people who have had their band slip, what caused your slip? Also are you a soda drinker?:cursing:

My band slipped and had to be removed two years ago. There was never any cause diagnosed for the slip, but my discomfort dated from a terrible allergy attack that resolved in to major coughing fits for days on end. I finally had to get narcotic cough meds from my PCP to wipe it out, but by then I guess the damage was done.

I think it's more common for there NOT to be a definitive cause for a slip, though.

Hello - I have had my band for over 5 1/2 years. After about 18 mths my band slipped. I think it was from Throwing up. (not confirmed by My Dr) but I know my body and I was getting sick alot when I ate. But I was willing to go thru this to loose the weight. Bad idea. My Dr took some of the Fluid out to see if the pouch would reduce/ the swelling to go down on its own. ( it didnt) One thing that can happen when the band slips is your pouch becomes enlarged, and in my case even part of the old stomach made its way up thru the band, thererfore creating a new pouch from my old stomach. So now I had 2 smal pouches, not a good thing, I was able to hold more food, explaining the reason I was not loosing any weight. So I had surgery to replace the band. Well, just a month ago same thing, but this time I have not been throwing up. However I noticed I was and could eat more then I normmaly use to which also explained some weight gain, I thought maybe I need a fill, I went to the Dr and Bam enlarged pouch, then 2 weeks later band slippage. My band now has to be removed for a 2nd time. Things to learn from my post: You must always remember your band is a "TOOL" never take it for granted. If something doesnt feel right it probably isnt. Check it out...Use common sense, most of the time your Dr. does want what is best for you, seek their advice or call the nurse, they are very knowledgable and have probably heard your worry from many others. Do not over-eat and you should not be throwing-up more then the occasional burp-up. Stay in a support group. Band slippage most of the time can be prevented, sometimes not. For me personally I think the first time might have been preventable, I use to beat myself up over it but now that I have had a 2nd slip, I am not so sure, I didnt throw up. Sometimes it just happens....I will be having a revision surgery this July..not another band, not becuase I do not have faith in the band - I do - it took me down 85 lbs, but My Dr says its time for something else. I will either have the Sleeve or the RYN...5 years ago the RYN was a dirty word to me, now I am prepared, it too is still a tool and I am sure it will get me to goal. Would I do it all over again, YOU BETCHA. Love your band!!

I'm still waiting to see if I really had a slippage. I know that I had something.

I had an asthma attack and coughed hard for about 2 hours and then off and on for another 2 days. I usually say that I "coughed my lungs out" but this time it was "coughed my band out" meaning that I think it displaced the thing so that I couldn't eat and barely drink for 1.5 weeks until I went to the Dr. and had 4cc out of 7cc removed. Ahhh the relief.

Susan

I did drink soda before my lap band procedure but after the surgery I stopped drinking it. I think I lost the desire for it (among many other things). It just didn't taste the same as it did before the surgery.

I had the lap band procedure in May 2008. I had numerous fills and unfills. On a recent trip to Kauai, our kayak tipped over and when I climbed back in (with help with our guide and my husband pushing me back in from behind), I thought I broke a rib. I later learned in emergency after a catscan and x-ray that it wasn't my rib or spleen, but that my lap band slipped! It was a freak accident.

I had it removed several days later when I got home by my bariatric surgeon who put it in. He says I can wait 5 weeks and have it put back in. I am still debating with myself whether or not I want to put it back in. I was in the hospital for three days taking it out because I had to have numerous tests to see if my stomach was damaged from the band slippage. I have thousands of dollars of out-pocket costs. The insurance pays for most of it but I have to pay a portion too.

Having my band slipped, meant that I could not swallow liquid or food and even my saliva came up! I feel much better since it was taken out. The slippage was something that I thought would NEVER happen to me.

I am fearful that I will gain my weight back that took so much effort to lose and I will gain more. I am eating the same as I was before my band slipped and exercising even more. One of my bariatric surgeons is confident that I can do this. If not, I am having it put back in.

For now, I am taking care of myself and recovering from my surgery. If there is anyone out there who is recoving from having the band taken out, I would appreciate hearing from you. My band was taken out not out of choice but out of an emergency. My band was so traumatized that they could not put a new band in after they took the old one out.

Is there life after having your lap band taken out? If so, what kind of life? I've been changed on so many levels just having the procedure and living with the band for over a year. Can I keep my weight off? Can I lose more?

I'm so sorry to hear that. I have to say that is exactly what I have feared since I've been reading about people on this site having slips. Do you know if your surgeon sutured the band? At a recent visit with my surgeon I asked him about slips and he told me that he sutures the band to prevent slips. He said (knock on wood) he hasn't had any slips yet. My surgeon is Dr Michael Lara.

I think if you keep working out and keep your portions small you could keep the weight off and depending how much you work out I think you have a chance in losing more. How much did you lose?

Again I'm sorry, that really is tragic. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Let me know how things go for you. Take care

Thank you for responding. I know that my port was sutured because I have been having Fluid around that area since it was removed. I have had Fluid taken out twice and its hard in that area due to scar tissue and fluid. I do not know if my band itself was sutured or not.

According to my informal internet research, slippage occurs 2-4% of the time. My doctors said their slippage rates are even lower than what I researched. It seems to happen infrequently. I have not meet anyone personally who has had a slip yet.

I heard about slippage before I had the procedure but I thought it would never happen to me. It was a freak accident that I would have my hands up, being pushed from behind, etc.

I have lost 85 pounds. I had my procedure done on May 20, 2008. Its very scary. I am still eating small portions and exercising even more but I can tell I can eat more than I did with the band. The band stopped me. Now I have to measure even more carefully otherwise I will eat more!

Obviously, I don't want to gain the weight back and I've researched and found out that you can not only gain the weight back but gain even more! If it becomes a struggle, I am having the band put back in! There is another part of me that I'm glad its out because it was a foreign object and that bothered me at times. It was a powerful tool combined with my eating the right foods, right amounts, exercise, etc. I would recommend the procedure to anyone struggling with weight.

Thanks for your support. I appreciate it. I am still going to my support group and have a fantastic group of lapbanders that help me tremendously.

I had my band for 3 days shy of 3 MONTHS! I had a food stuck episode followed by the Fluid removed from the band. The next day, I suddenly felt stabbing pain and went to the ER. At that point, the pain was getting worse and worse. They did an upper GI and an Xray, which they said was NORMAL. Pain meds weren't working and I finally got a nurse who got me a consult with a new Bariatric doctor who then told me they read the Xray wrong and I not only had a complete slippage but the band was BELOW my stomach. I had it taken out, had 4 days of EXCRUSIATING pain and all time and energy lost. I am disgusted and disappointed. I am not considering another band, especially since I found on the LapBand website that in 3 year student 25% of people who got band, had to have it removed. The entire situation makes me sick...

That is absolutely awful! I can relate to the discomfort and pain. I felt so much better after it was out. I wouldn't even consider having another band but I am gaining some weight and I am determined not to gain back all the weight I worked so hard to lose and I want to lose more. I am having a new band put in next Thursday. I had my physical done today.

I also wouldn't do it again if it cost me anything. Since I have met my $5,000 out of pocket expenses for 2009, Blue Cross covers the bill for my new band.

I hope you are feeling better and please post again and give an update on how you are doing.

My band slipped because I was retching in the recovery room because of anesthesia for a different, unrelated, surgery last summer. It went on for hours and resulted in the slip. It was discovered in October and fixed in mid-November.

The process of getting back to the sweet spot has been difficult, to say the least. I am worried that I have thrown up a lot and dislodged it again, but I hope not and the doctor thinks that's very unlikely.

I have been somewhat scared of the whole band slippage. I want to know from people who have had their band slip, what caused your slip? Also are you a soda drinker?:)

My band slipped 5 1/2 months after my surgery from vomiting. During the educational seminar, my surgeon told the group that it takes a lot of vomiting to slip a band and that this typically doesn't happen with just a bout of the flu, etc. WRONG! I only vomited about 4-5 times in 2 days and had a slip requiring same day emergency surgery! I also want to add that my surgeon is one of the best in the region I live in and is a proctor/trainer for Lapband - so I know it wasn't like I had an incompetent surgeon, or I didn't follow the rules, etc. It can happen very easily!

My surgeon feels that my band slipped during my pregnancy. I'm having it fixed 6/15. I do have a lot of symptoms but most discouraging is no weight loss since November, 2009. But at least no weight gain either. I'm still 100% sold on the Lap Band, but it's a journey and you need to be ready for anything.

Vomiting. That's what my surgeon says. My LAP-BAND® experience has been easy-peasy. I have lost 80 pounds in 14 months, then I started getting really uncomfortable after eating and began throwing up. This became more and more frequent over about 3 months until last week when it was happening several times per day. At the ER my surgeon said I had a slip (the ER docs had no clue.) He took all the Fluid out and told me to go back to fluid for four days (tomorrow) and then starting adding soft food slowly. He said his goal is for the slip to correct itself. Has anyone ever heard of this? I trust my surgeon completely and he is well-respected in our area....I am just praying he is right. I lost my job since being banded and can not afford to have it revised....it would probably just have to come out per my insurance.

No, I have never heard that a slip would correct itself by eating liquids and then to soft foods. Maybe your doctor thinks that this will make the swelling go down? I don't know.

Did you have medical tests done to determine if your band slipped? When my band slipped last summer, they took an x-ray and CatScan and it clearly showed the ER doctors (who weren't bariatric doctors) that my band had slipped. They could not take Fluid out of my band because my band was twisted. All I can say is that is wait and see. Do the liquids then soft foods, etc. If you still have problems, I would suggest getting a second opinion from another bariatric doctor.

When my band slipped, I could not drink or eat anything without it coming up. My saliva came up after it accumulated in my pouch. I was getting dehydrated and had to have an IV to receive fluids. I could not get fluids into me without an IV. Fluid would not stay down.

Please let us know how you are doing. I care. I have been there and its extremely frightening. I was rebanded in November 2009 and I am so glad that I did. I thought I could not get banded because I didn't think my insurance would pay for the unbanding and then the rebanding. Found out that I paid all my out-of-pocket costs to be unbanded so I did not pay anything for my new band.

Had my surgery to fix my "slipped band." Low and behold it was a hiatal hernia.....due to my pregnancy. 6 days post op and way better already.