Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the cause of your SLIPPAGE?

Was your band slipping due to drinking soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Was your band slipping due to drinking soda?

• Yes I drink soda everyday and had a slip
    • I drink soda 2-3 times/week and had a slip
    • I drink soda occasionally and had a slip
    • I never drink soda and had a slip

CLCORT-

yes, i've read on many posts where people had an unfill and then went on liquids for a week or so and the band repositioned itself.

good luck, don't give up hope

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bevan - thank you, thank you, thank you for your reply. I knew there had to be someone out there that had experienced this or heard about it. I seem to be doing a lot better, keeping things down. Still eating mushies and hoping and praying that my doctor was right!

Yes, even if your tempted- just baby the band a bit more and follow doc instructions.

I've come across other posts where people said their band was emptied, and they did liquid for a week or so (times vary probably depending on slip). If you want to find others just keep surfing the site-- I've seen them. Do searches for "slip."

I think that some slips require surgery, but sometimes the band will correct itself. There was a guy at my support group who had this happen. The doc emptied his band and put him on liquids and it moved back into place within 2 weeks. He had also had a stretched esophogus, which corrected w/the unfill and liquids too.

Lisa

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Glad to find these posts - thanks for the information. I was having problems with keeping food down a few weeks ago and my doctor did a complete unfill and wants me to have an upper GI (being scheduled) to make sure I didn't have a slip. I am now feeling better but have gained 7 lbs. I do not feel any pain now - does that mean my band did not slip? My surgeon never mentioned a liquid diet though. I will try that just in case - plus it may help with the weight gain. Good luck.

I was so glad to read this thread. I was banded march 16, 2009 and did great until mar 2010 no one told me my allergies would affect my lapband. Of course this season is worse than last year and I did not have a full fill until JUl09. Well with sinus drainage, sneezing and etc. i ended up with vomiting and and another new term, esophogeal spasms. JOY:cursing:. My band has slipped but with the unfill Fluid went through according to the barium swallow plus the esophogeal spasms stopped. Surgeon said My pouch was inflamed and stretched and in a small number of cases it slips back through again. Otherwise, I will be having surgery in the next couple weeks to have it stitched back where it belongs. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will be seeing my surgeon next weeWk.......

Edited by purplekat

purplkat-

I wish you all the best. I hadn't heard about the allergies either. Keep us updated on your progress. The good thing is you caught it now, and may not need surgery. . .

I hope it corrects on it's own. Take care,

Lisa

Vomiting. That's what my surgeon says. My LAP-BAND®® experience has been easy-peasy. I have lost 80 pounds in 14 months, then I started getting really uncomfortable after eating and began throwing up. This became more and more frequent over about 3 months until last week when it was happening several times per day. At the ER my surgeon said I had a slip (the ER docs had no clue.) He took all the Fluid out and told me to go back to fluid for four days (tomorrow) and then starting adding soft food slowly. He said his goal is for the slip to correct itself. Has anyone ever heard of this? I trust my surgeon completely and he is well-respected in our area....I am just praying he is right. I lost my job since being banded and can not afford to have it revised....it would probably just have to come out per my insurance.

I kind of had a similar issue. Apparently my band was to tight. It caused severe acid reflux which in turn caused swelling in my stomache. My stomache ended up pushing up through the band and blocking the hole. I wasn't able to keep solid food down for quite a while, but when I started not being able to keep liquids down they had me come in for tests. My band had just slipped a little. They emptied my band and told me to come back in in 6 weeks for a refill. The doctor said it should heal itself in that time. It was like night and day...as soon as they emptied the band, I felt 100% better! This was about a week and a half ago and I am not having any reflux or acid issues at all! Even sleeping laying down! I've been having to sit up straight to sleep since before Christmas!

Edited by LaDawnS

I'm feeling that my band has slipped too...I do not throw up daily but I only have 5cc's in a 14cc band and occassionally get stuck. I had a bad stuck episode a few weeks ago. Since then, EVERYTIME i eat my stomach gets so sore and hurts....When I stand up, it hurts to stand up straight for a few minutes. Could this be a slipped band?

I don't know if you can tell if a band slips by symptoms alone. When my band slipped, I couldn't even take in my saliva. Everything would come up. I was getting dehydrated and the emergency doctor gave me an IV right away because I could not take in Water. I also had X-ray and CATscan to confirm it. I think a doctor can only confirm a slippage. I would suggest you returning to your doctor for tests and confirmation of a slip and how to correct it or with replacement. I couldn't have my replaced when they took it out because my stomach was so swollen and the band was twisted. Good luck. Keep us posted on what your doctor says.

I was banded on July 29, 2009. Everything had gone well until recently. I have a 10cc band and had 3.25 cc in it. My surgeon stitched the band to help prevent slippage.

I have no idea what happened but suddenly started having problems, couldn't sleep through the night due to regurgitation of acidic fluids. Went to dr who diagnosed a hiatal hernia and gave me protonix. Symptoms got worse. To the point were even saliva wouldn't stay down. Had an endoscopy and all normal. On Thursday the dr removed .25 cc of Fluid from band and have been a bit better since. Still alot of burping (but not nearly as much as before) but I can sleep. Just moved to soft foods last night. Dr believes that the band has slipped but never mentioned removing all fluid and giving it some time to see if it repairs itself. Told me to go and get some xrays, he would review them and tell me if it slipped. I moved since having my surgery and am seeing a different dr for my fills.

My insurance didn't & won't pay for my surgery and/or anything related to it. I am so worried and scared of it having gone bad and needing more surgery or worse yet having to take it out. I love the band and never had a single problem with it until a few weeks ago. I think I will contact my surgeon and talk to him about it. It is great to read that others have had similiar issues and what worked for them.

BTW, my surgeon told me to take mucinex when cold or allergy seasons hits and i feel kinda stuffy as mucus can plug the band and cause vomiting. which as we know can cause slippage.

I cannot figure out why if the endoscopy was normal that your doctor thinks it still may have slipped. Wouldn't the endoscopy show if the band slipped or not? I don't know how an x-ray would help. When my band slipped, I had a CATSCAN and that was quite helpful to see that it slipped but the doctors used the results of my endoscopy to see where it slipped, etc. Please let me know what happens. I can understand why you are afraid and uncertain especially since you don't have your insurance helping you if it needs to come out. Maybe your stomach is swollen and with the Fluid taken out, eating soft fluids, etc., it will help the swelling go down. I really don't know.

I don't know either. Before the end of July 2010, I could eat anything w/out a problem.

Since then I had problems eating alot of things alot of the time since the end of July, yet at times I could eat fine. A few days before my endo I ate half of a Five Guys burger no problem. I would think if my band had slipped I would be unable to eat all the time. There was no telling what would stay down and what wouldn't--the burger did fine but broccoli wasn't.

My CT in mid July showed the band fine, the endo last week showed it fine but she recommended some Fluid be removed and that I have it checked for possible slippage.

The Dr that I have been going to for fills says that an endo and/or ct wouldn't show slippage. He said that an xray would be the best method and only a bariatric surgeon would really know what to look for.

I suspect my problem is a combination of the hiatal hernia and esphogeal spasms. I think I vomited so much from that and had so much acid reflux that my banded area is irritated and needs a break.

I am going to try the remove all fluid, wait 6 to 8 weeks and then refill method. I really don't want to pay for an xray if I don't have to nor do I want to keep going back to have a 1/4 cc removed at a time. Even though the 1/4 cc he removed makes it better, I still feel like there is a bubble there, kinda like you have to burp but can't if that makes sense. And of course I am still burping. However, I can eat soft foods no problem which is great.

I want to avoid an further surgery if at all possible. Not only do I not want the cost I don't want to go through it again. Not that it was bad as surgeries go but I resent the the interruption to my life if you know what I mean. Just once, I would like something to go easy.

thanks for letting me vent!

I cannot figure out why they didn't take out all the Fluid when your doctor suspected a slippage. They tried taking the Fluid out of my band in the ER and later when my bariatric surgeon tried it. They couldn't take out any fluid because my band twisted!

It sounds like you do have other medical issues that could complicate determining whether your band slipped or not. X-rays are normally not that expensive so even if you have to pay for them yourself, it may be worth it to have it.

Good luck to you! Please let us know on LapBand Talk how you are doing. Its a learning process. I never thought my band would slip but it did. I had it put back in because my weight starting climbing up at a scary rate even though I was eating the same and exercising the same. I don't think I could maintain or lose weight withot the band.

I had my first banding in August 2008. I lost 75 pounds and then the band slipped. I had revision surgery in December 2009. I have gained a lot of the weight back and am going back in October to see if there is a second slip. The surgeon says they aren't really sure what causes slips. However, it my research it is only a very very small percentage of people who actually have their bands slip, particularly as the surgeons learn new techniques for securing the band. Since I already had one slip, the surgeon said she secured the band well to prevent a second slip. We'll see....

dn6993, Hi. I just wanted to comment that alot of bandsters have the same issues with eating that you described and there bands are fine. It is very common for food to go down different at different times of the day, and at different times in a womens hormonal cycle. for me I cant eat solids until noon. Breakfast is a Protein Shake or cottage cheese with fruit. By the end of the day I can eat steak if i want. Also right before my monthly I have a harder time with dense Proteins and course veggies like corn and broccoli.