Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded June 4, doing well but...

Hi. I had my surgery last Thursday and am feeling a little better each day. I'm happy with my decision to do this but I can't help feeling a little "alone" right now. I intentionally chose to only inform a few people that I was having this done...mainly because I wanted to be the one to let people know. Unfortunately, I knew that some of the people I wanted to tell would no sooner finish talking to me than be on the phone telling everyone else. My kids don't even know. They know that I had 2 hernias repaired but that's all. I plan to tell them soon though. Anyone else out there with a similar situation?:thumbup:

Hi! Glad to hear you're doing well. I was banded the 5th- have been pretty sore, but feel much better today. I did not tell a lot of people either - no one at work. I think you'll find that people are either very private about it or they shout it from the rooftops. I think what ever works for you is OK.

I was the same way. I had surgery on May 20th. I only told my husband and kids. For the same reasons. I did tell my sisters that I had surgery but not what type. They both got mad at me for not telling them that I had the surgery until it was 3-5 days after. I still haven't told my mom and I am not going to tell. She likes to tell everyone anything she hears and I would rather not have it posted in the local paper.

I hope you are still feeling good. I know it takes time.

Hi, I was banded June 4th too. Doing okay - just really wishing I could eat something mushy or atleast suck on a cracker. I am so tired of the Protein diet and Water. I told my immediate family and an associate at work (who told everyone else at work even though she was not suppose to) so you probably made a good choice. I probably would of told my other work associates as I am a manager and my phone rings whenever I am out of the office too - and I really needed it cut off for a couple of days. Either way - I would of eventually told my co-workers so no harm done there.

Any suggestions for wanting to eat? Also, how is everyone getting the sparkly lines at the bottom of their posts?

I was banded June 3rd. I'm doing ok except one of my incisions opened up and is now currently leaking. I go to the MD tomorrow so I hope, he can fix that problem. I told 1 person. Not my mom or kids I only told them I was having hernia repair surgery. I didn't want the questions and chats behind my back at work so i just didn't share. so ur not alone and besides only the people who are or have gone thru the procedure understand. So don't worry you have us to chat with any time!

Hi there

I haven't been banded yet, but I only kept my plans a secret until I had made a final decision to proceed with the surgery.

I had a discussion with a friend recently, who told me how jealous she will feel when I begin to lose weight.. and my stance on this topic is the same for her as it is for everyone else, and I have and will continue to make it abundantly clear:

I have spent 27 years of my life feeling inadequate and apologising for the way that I am. I will not apologise for making the decision to have this surgery nor will I apologise for the results I obtain. Any results I do get will be from hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice, they will be well deserved. This is a huge decision which will require a lot of changes to my lifestyle, it is going to be a hard road at times so I only wish to be surrounded by positive people who will support my decision and be proud of me for my successes. Anyone who does not fit into that category, who will not support me, is someone who I no longer want to play a major role in my life. It's them who makes this choice through their own actions, not me.

I say, the sooner you share the news with the people who matter and take a strong stance in relation to the need for them to be supportive, the better you will feel - having a support network is important.

Best wishes to you!

So thrilled for you guys, but can relate to the tween stage you're in right now.

I remember telling my dad (who got banded just a couple weeks ago), "You never thought you'd actually be excited to nosh on mashed potatoes, did you?"

Hi, and congrats on making that step and having the courage to do it alone. I am just starting the process and can tell you I am not planning to tell anyone unless they need to know, with a small few exceptions like my hubby and best friend, who are totally supportive. If you do choose to tell people choose the people who will support you and honor your trust by not blabbing it out.

I also like MissK's qoute which Im going to copy and put on my fridge for inspiration:

I have spent 27 years of my life feeling inadequate and apologising for the way that I am. I will not apologise for making the decision to have this surgery nor will I apologise for the results I obtain. Any results I do get will be from hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice, they will be well deserved. This is a huge decision which will require a lot of changes to my lifestyle, it is going to be a hard road at times so I only wish to be surrounded by positive people who will support my decision and be proud of me for my successes. Anyone who does not fit into that category, who will not support me, is someone who I no longer want to play a major role in my life. It's them who makes this choice through their own actions, not me.

I also like MissK's qoute which Im going to copy and put on my fridge for inspiration

Wow, thanks eyezchu- I don't know whether it's because it's some ridiclous hour of the morning, snowing and I'm about to leave for work almost freezing to death or what, but it seems I'm a bit emotional today and that got me a little choked up - whodathunk that someone would find me or my words inspirational? Thank you!

Silly you! You're a fountain of inspiration!

banded June 5th, I can sympathize, only told a few people and told my kids after I came home, but they are younger and seem to understand that "mommy is on a special diet" like you I didn't want the whole world to know my business, but now that it is over I don't care who knows that I made this decession for myself because I did it for myself and no one else. I wish you the best of luck on your journey, keep in touch

banded on 4/20 and doing great. I had no problem telling everyone. Guess I felt that I was overweight for so long that soon I was going to start looking and feeling great about myself. The 2 wks pre-op i drank slim fast 5x a day and lost 9 lbs. I knew other people that lost much more. Everybody is different. I had my 1st fill on 6/3 and as of today I am down 23 1/2 lbs. and feel great. Whatever works for you is the way to go. It's a slow process and one that will be with you for the rest of your life. So let's all enjoy the process for a healthier and better lifestyle. Good luck to all the bandsters.:cursing:

I got banded on June 4 - a good friend who had it done in Mexico accompanied me on the journey. Am concerned about my surgeon being in another country (she didn't worry about this at all). However, all seems to be well and there is a Fill Center in my town that i plan to use.

I don't have much appetite at all so far. Just trying to focus on my Protein each day and getting in some walking. But I'm nervous and will use this forum as inspiration!

HI, I had my banding on the 5th of June and decided not to tell any of my Kids or family back home, I really didnt want to hear all the comments since I had already made up my mind. but on the other hand my husband told everyone that he works with and so everyone where we live(army post) knows what I had done-either way its ok I've been met with nothing but support and nice words about it! now Im just looking for some ideas as to what I can eat for the next few weeks until I can add soft foods I feel fine just a little sore where the stitches are, but this too will pass!!

Hello everyone. I was banded on 12/2/2008 and Im doing great. Im down from 264 to 204 and loving it. You will go thru some ups and downs but just take day by day and be happy and BLESSED. I've started my weight loss journey blog page and would love for some of you to join and talk with me about your band and everyday life.

www.weightlosssurgery2009.blogspot.com

Im currently at 6cc in my band:thumbup:

have a great day everyone

christy