Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grrrr! Grumpy Bandster Here

I saw my surgeon last week and he said all is well and to begin eating normally over the weekend. I thought that was sounding good until I began eating again. I had lost weight pretty consistently in the beginning then gained and lost the same pound or two for a week. Today I weighed in and gained 3 pounds! I haven't had a fill and feel little to no restriction and understand that when you go from liquids only to mushies, to real food the odds are that your body will try to hang on to it and weight gain is likely. Maybe I was in denial about it all, but gosh, those 3 pounds are gnawing at me like crazy! I am not eating a lot and exercising, so I hoped I wouldn't gain but I did. I am looking forward to my first fill (which will be later than usual since doc will be on vacation. :thumbup:) Oh well, I just had to vent. It's just a frustrating day.

I am with you!!!! I did a 6-month diet program before surgery, and with that plus the pre-op diet I was down about 50+ lbs... I was so excited. Nothing could stop me.

Now I am a month out and on regular foods, and I'm eating well (lean meats, green vegetables, soft fruits) and I'm exercising 6 days a week at the gym... and I gained 1 lb last week? What is THAT? I don't really feel restriction - I can tell I do get full faster, and I am not eating neeeear as much as I was before I began this journey and I guess I just thought I'd keep losing like I did before surgery. It's disappointing.

I go in this Thursday for my 2nd post-op and I am very nervous as to what he will say. My first fill is a week from today and I hope that helps. I just don't want to get discouraged and give up. Especially since I am not even finished paying for the surgery... Heh.

I can tell I have lost inches though, and I am doing some toning at the gym along with cardio so I hope maybe I am replacing fat with muscle? I need to start taking my measurements to verify that.

There is a support group meeting this week and I am going to go to that and hopefully that also helps with my mindset.

Hang in there, we'll figure this out........

Don't get discouraged! The same thing had been happening to me, but I weighed myself today and lost 2 lbs. It's totally normal, your body is just adjusting. That weight is going to come off very soon, just stick with it!!!!

It's called Bandster Hell, and it sucks! :thumbup:

I will move to the solid phase 2 weeks before my first fill. During that time I will be on vacation. I'm curious...Can you really eat normal foods? I do not want to eat something and get sick while 1200 miles from home.

I have my first fill tomorrow and I am so very nervous. I do pretty good with needles except for IV's when they have to peck around to find it and that is what I am worried about with the fill. I have lost 52 lbs from before surgery to now 7 weeks....The last 3 weeks the losing has really slowed down but I am not having any restriction either. Anyway just needing to vent. There are some many post from people who say they want to fly off the table in pain to those who say it was nothing....Nerves Nerves Nerves!

2911, yes, you really can eat normal foods. Just choose simple foods, and chew, chew, chew. Stay away from bread, rice, tough steak, stringy veggies, etc. -- the things the doc probably warned you about. You'll be fine on vacation. Enjoy! :thumbup:

I have my first fill tomorrow and I am so very nervous. I do pretty good with needles except for IV's when they have to peck around to find it and that is what I am worried about with the fill. I have lost 52 lbs from before surgery to now 7 weeks....The last 3 weeks the losing has really slowed down but I am not having any restriction either. Anyway just needing to vent. There are some many post from people who say they want to fly off the table in pain to those who say it was nothing....Nerves Nerves Nerves!

I've had a port before (for chemo) and the area that the doc/nurse can stick the needle into is about the size of a dime. In my experience, it comes down to how skilled the person giving the injection is with dealing with the port. I had one nurse who was excellent, while others were awful. I know that doesn't help much, but maybe you can ask who the most experienced IV nurse is when you get there. Also, it helps to get lidocaine ahead of time.

HTH! :thumbup:

I "knew" that once I started solids again my weight would go up a few pounds I also "knew" that the first few months are called Bandster hell and why.. I guess I couldn't help holding on to the hope I would be one of those few who would not even need a fill. I am trying really hard not to be discouraged and stick with low cal even though I am hungry right now. We shall persevere!

Thanks Spidey! My idea of simple eating is chicken..I love it, but quite a few people have stated they have gotten stuck eating it. Is that because of the fill? I am getting paranoid. Its been a while since I've had normal food and I have been counting the days until I can really eat something, but I think fear may win in my case.

2911, I've been eating chicken every day since I was able to eat normal food. The key, I believe, is that it must be moist and you must take small bites and chew very well. I've have no problems! :grouphug: I really enjoy chicken Caesar salad. The dressing helps moisten the chicken, as does the lettuce. I'm more afraid of the lettuce than the chicken, actually, so I cut it to tiny shreds before eating it. It takes a long time to eat, and it is chock full o' Protein and Fiber. I hope that helps! Oh, and always take the skin off! That will choke you in a second!

Another very good thing while out is ground beef. Get a hamburger without the bun, add the fixin's you like, and cut it up well. A side of baked Beans adds a lot of Protein and is very soft. Refried Beans are also very good, if you like them. Add a little FF sour cream, and you have a real treat! And, as my Lap Band book says, if in doubt, ask for scrambled eggs. Just be careful not to eat them too fast like I did. I PB'd once while eating them because they tasted so good! I took too big a bite, and didn't chew enough. Came right back up my throat. Wasn't gross though. Didn't come out of my mouth and embarrass me in front of others, in case you were wondering about PBs.

Good luck!!! And enjoy!! :)

Thanks Spidey! My idea of simple eating is chicken..I love it, but quite a few people have stated they have gotten stuck eating it. Is that because of the fill? I am getting paranoid. Its been a while since I've had normal food and I have been counting the days until I can really eat something, but I think fear may win in my case.

chicken can be a tricky thing. With me, if I eat it freshly cooked and not dry, it is fine, as long as I cut it into small pieces and chew it well. I can NEVER eat it the next day, cold or reheated. If you don't have a fill, you should be fine as long as you chew well.

I really appreciate the great advice. Spidey I really needed the info on pb'ing. I see that in a lot of post and always worried about that as well. I also love fish; tuna, catfish and salmon. Have you had any luck with fish?

I attempted chicken the other day, wasn't happening, so I've been living on Shrimp dishes and crab shumai- basically my chinese food place now knows my name, and I've been getting everything steamed with the sauce on the side. I am dying for a salad though. I don't think I'm getting enough Protein though.

I attempted chicken the other day, wasn't happening, so I've been living on Shrimp dishes and crab shumai- basically my chinese food place now knows my name, and I've been getting everything steamed with the sauce on the side. I am dying for a salad though. I don't think I'm getting enough Protein though.

Wow Sara, I'm glad you can eat shrimp. That's another food I've read that people have trouble eating. I love all kinds of seafood. I would love to have shrimp dishes. What is crab shumai?