Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Bunnies '09- Let's share: How are you doing?

Wow! this is just what I needed to read. I am getting frustrated I am learning the meaning of Bandster Hell!

1. WEIGHT- currently 230.8 which is up a pound. Surgery was 4/30/09. this was the first weight I had put on since surgery. I have lost 35 pounds since the first of the year - 24 since surgery.

2. FILLS- I had one 2 weeks ago. 2 cc's. The really odd thing is I had more restriction BEFORE my fill! WEIRD! He put in several cc's and then pulled it back out. Air came with it and he said that was not unusual. I am thinking the air may have been providing the restriction, or I was still swollen after surgey. I had restriction on the amount I could eat but I got hungry really quickly. I spent weeks being hungry, so when the restriction was essentially gone I am tending to make more unhealthy choices.

3. RESTRICTION-The really odd thing is I had more restriction BEFORE my fill! WEIRD! He put in several cc's and then pulled it back out. Air came with it and he said that was not unusual. I am thinking the air may have been providing the restriction, or I was still swollen after surgey. I had restriction on the amount I could eat but I got hungry really quickly. I spent weeks being hungry, so when the restriction was essentially gone I am tending to make more unhealthy choices.

4. RULES- I am trying to follow them. I have really been 'jonesing' for a diet pepsi! Tried having one that was not quite flat and it hurt, tried one completely flat - gross! so, I have been trying iced tea sometimes. 95% of the time I do not drink at meals but have found it really hard for some reason when at business meals.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- Joined the gym - well actually the dr office 'gives' you 3 months membership and 3 personal trainer visits. Did my first one and have been doing Water exercise too. Love the water! Had a birthday this month and did have cake- it was good. Looking forward to the next BD in onederland!

1. WEIGHT-I'm down 41.4 lbs since the beginning of the pre-op diet. I stalled for a while after going to solids even though I was keeping my calories to around 1200-1300 a day. I knew this was because I was in starvation mode from over a month of 600 calorie days. I tried not to get discouraged, exercise, make good choices to rev up my metabolism and the scale is starting to move again.

2. FILLS- I've had 1 unfill and 1 fill. I was hasving troble just tolerating mushies so they did an unfill. Took out about 3.2ccs leaving about 0.5ccs in. I was very hungry after that and so I went back in for a fill and they put 2.5ccs back. last week. I'm now at 3.0ccs in a 10cc band.

3. RESTRICTION-Well I'm still giving it some time since they said it could take 1-2 weeks for a fill to kick in and it's only been a week. I have some restriction but not enough. I'm still doing OK though. Going back on liquids after the fill got my head back into it.

4. RULES-I try not to think of things in terms of "rules" because that feels too much like a diet. I knw there are things I'm supposed to do and I'm better at some of them then others. I'm getting better at not drinking until an hour after my meal. I make allowences for this rule if I'm going to the gym in the morning right after breakfastso I don't get dehydrated. I still give in and have a little sip if I need one but I'm getting better. I have trouble with the protien first thing since I hate eating one thing on my plate completely before moving on to something else. I enjoy mixing my foods. Like when i have a chicken salad I don't want to eat all the chicken out first. I like the mix of flavors. Other than that I think I'm doing OK.

5. ANYTHING ELSE-I'm usually a big exerciser--I go to the gym at least 3 times a week and run on the treadmill and work out with a trainer 2 times a week. Sadly I hurt my back last weekend though so I have to take some time off. I had the first person who didn't know about my surgery comment on my weight loss last week. Yay for NSVs.

1. WEIGHT- havent lost in a month. feel like i am more maintaining. lost most of my 7 lb loss immediately post-op.

starting wt 205. wt now 198 and holding

2. FILLS- 10cc band. i have had several fills. 2cc,4cc,6cc and yesterday added 1cc for a total of 7cc.

3. RESTRICTION- pretty much had NO restriction as of yesterday. am hoping yesterdays fill will do the trick. definitely eating less, however, not enough to lose, just normal 'maintaining' portions. i could pretty much eat anything, breads, etc no sense of regurgitation what-so-ever.

4. RULES- other than not drinking during/after meals, which i notice it doesnt work, no rules really apply..i dont have to chew really good, or take small bites or anything WHICH I WAS HOPING FOR!!

5. ANYTHING ELSE: Getting disappointed. wasnt expecting a miracle, however, was hoping for more restriction forcing me to eat smaller 'wt loss' portions. Im already at 7cc, dr told me that 6cc was the 'green zone' and anything over was the 'red zone' and i shouldnt be in it, (this was at my 6cc fill) even after I told him i could eat a whole plate of food (and then some!) i then told him that i thought everybody was different and that i didnt think i had enough restriction.

and he said i should just 'make this work' with more diet and exercise duh, if i could do that, i wouldnt need the surgery!!!! he's not my dr, but the one who does all the 'fills' in the office. I dread going there because he makes me feel like im doing something wrong!!! plus im worried, if im already at 7cc, is there any hope for me?!?! im hoping after yesterdays fill, i will feel restriction from now on.

thanks for letting me vent!

Beth- Just wanted to say that you're not crazy or alone. If you do a search you'll find polls and threads where people asked about where folks 'sweet spot' was. I remember most people were between 5-7 (10cc band), but several didn't get to their sweet spot until around 8 or 9. Hope this last fill works for you!

I'm ashamed to post but here goes.

1. WEIGHT- high 302 (aug 08) surgery 256 today 250

2. FILLS-1 1.5 in a 9cc ap standard band

3. RESTRICTION- very little, a few "stuck" times but no PB or sliming. Able to eat what I want and am full for 3-4 hours most of the time but, am able to eat more that I should at 1 time.

4. RULES- Trying to stick to 1200 cal per day(need to be more faithful at tracking exact calories), and not drinking after eating for 1/2 hour. Probably not drinking enough Water each day..working on that.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I'm frustrated, I was able to lose 45 lbs on my own prior to surgery and now eating the same "diet" as pre surgery and not losing...hoping that my next fill on June 25 will help some. <sigh>

Just Tired

Just Tired- You've got NOTHING to be ashamed of. Be happy for every week that you're NOT gaining at this point, because the band isn't doing anything for you yet. 1.5 in an LB APS (10cc) isn't enough to fill the port and tubing even. We'll all be on the other side of Bandster Hell eventually and enjoying our lovely restriction and weight loss!!!

1. WEIGHT- -64 lbs so far. 20 before surgery, 44 since. Surgery was 4/1/09.

2. FILLS- 3 fills so far totalling 5 cc's in a 9 cc Realize Band.

3. RESTRICTION- I thought I had good restriction after the last fill about a week ago but now think I will need more.

4. RULES- Been trying to follow them as religiously as possible.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- With some motivation from a fellow bandster :wink:, I started running and it's paying huge dividends. I am on week 5 of the Couch to 5k program (find it on Runner's World) and am getting addicted to running. Planning to run my first ever 5k on 9/5/09 :sneaky: So far, an all around excellent experience. :crying:

Just got my 2nd fill today so I am going to post since now I know how much I have in my band.

1. WEIGHT-Before pre-op diet 231 lbs. The day of surgery 210 lbs. Current weight 193 lbs. Down 38 lbs total.

2. FILLS-10cc band. The doc put 2 cc with the surgery. 1st fill 2.6 cc. 2nd fill 1 cc. Total 5.6 cc.

3. RESTRICTION- Just got the second fill right about an hour ago. We'll see if it will help. I've been in Bandster Hell too since surgery, so the weight loss is all me, no band help (can you say starving most of the time).

4. RULES-Following most of them like Protein first and wait about an hour after to drink; however, I don't always chew properly or take small bites. I do eat carb sometimes too (not much). I need to weigh my food now since I just found out that I can stretch my pouch by overeating.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- I need to get more creative with my food and drink at least 64 oz. of Water. I need to exercise more too.

1. WEIGHT- I've lost 22 lbs since my surgery on 4/15.

2. FILLS- I've had 2 fills... 1st fill of 2 cc's was 5/21 and 2nd fill of 2 cc's was 6/8, for a total of 4 cc's in my 10 cc band. My next fill is scheduled for 7/2 but I don't think I need it.

3. RESTRICTION- I currently have great restriction. I can only eat 1/2 cup to 1 cup at a sitting.

4. RULES- I I try to follow all of the rules, but I am struggling with starches and getting in at least 64oz of Water.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- The last month, I have struggled with my weight loss and letting go of my love affair with starches. I've done pretty good since my last fill on the 8th and I've lost five pounds, but I still have lots of room for improvement. My husband got his band placed on the 9th, so that has helped a lot to keep me motivated.

Edited by MrsMitch

1. WEIGHT- slowly losing - even gained 4 pounds one week. Think I was retaining Water and that TOM.

2. FILLS- had 1 fill 1.6cc 6 weeks after surgery. no fill at surgery

3. RESTRICTION- a little. I haven't tried to see how much I can eat. I just stop at small portions.

4. RULES- following most of the rules. Probably not getting enough Protein. Excerise is in-consistant and the drinking thing is kind of hard sometimes.

5. ANYTHING ELSE- follow up appt to fill is 6 weeks so I will not be getting second fill until at least 4 weeks after that. so like 10 weeks at least in between fills.

WEIGHT:

Highest- 268 (around March 1st)

Surgery-242

Current- 236

FILLS:

1st fill scheduled for June 19th

RESTRICTION:

none

RULES:

I try to keep to all the rules, exercising regularly,but lately I have been cheating on junk food...bad habits are hard to break. Back on track now and will try to stick to the rules. One rule I have down packed is the no drinking after you eat - NOT a problem at all!

ANYTHING ELSE:

Not Enough Water: I need to drink about 80 oz Water. I am also learning that you must eat slow, it prevents PBing. Sometimes I forget, especially when I am eating chicken, it must be eaten slowly or it will get stuck or make you choke. I have to put down the fork and chew slowly before I can put more in my mouth, it does the trick.

Edited by Butterfly64

What a great opportunity to see what experiences others are having. I haven't posted for a couple of weeks - I've been really busy but the major reason is that I've really been down about my progress. Now I can share my frustration, and maybe even someone else will feel supported by my experience.

1. WEIGHT-I've lost sixteen pounds since my surgery on April 23. Several weeks I've lost no weight, and I have found my weight fluctuates a lot. I'm trying to wean from weighing every single day.

2. FILLS- Realize Band. Have had one fill of 5cc.

3. RESTRICTION-I have very little, if any restriction. Had a bit for about a week after that fill, but now I have none. Sadly for me, my schedule is such that I can't get in for another one until mid-July.

4. RULES-I try hard to obey the rules, though sometimes I long for bread. I had a hamburger bun once, when I was stuck somewhere for a long time and my choices were hamburger or hot dog. No problem whatsoever with the bun, which was a bit depressing. I have no trouble with the "no Water before or after meals". I know I need to increase my Water intake. I have always eaten shortly before bedtime, and didn't realize there was a rule about that until I was reading the posts on this thread. Of course I knew it wasn't good, but I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep, and somewhere along the line became convinced that carbs before bedtime helped. LOL

5. ANYTHING ELSE- Sometimes I don't feel like

anything is different, as far as my body is concerned, since the surgery. EXCEPT, I now have lactose intolerance, which I didn't have before. I am hungry all the time, and feel very weak. I have a new job and am working 10 hours a day and travelling an hour each way, so that doesn't leave a lot of time for other activities. I'm single and live in an old farmhouse, so I have a lot to do around the home, which keeps me moving a bit. All of this will get better, as my wonderful employer is setting me up to telecommute. I notice big improvement when I am more active. I have a great elliptical machine, so maybe I'll get more than 5 minutes on it soon.

I've had no NSVs, and though I know I've lost weight, it would be nice to think that someone has noticed.

On the bright side, I know that I will eventually get to that sweet spot, like so many others here, and am trying to pat myself on the back that I haven't been gaining during the time where the band hasn't been able to help. :)

WEIGHT:

Highest- 280

Surgery-265

Current- 241

FILLS:

May 28--2cc's (10cc Band)

RESTRICTION:

No restriction. I can eat what I want when I want it. :(

RULES:

I drink with my meals. I know it is bad but I cant give it up. I have also had some bad food but for the most part I had done pretty good. My hubby just returned from Iraq so I may have slacked off the last week or so.

ANYTHING ELSE:

I am in "Hell" and I am so ready for a fill. I put a call into my doctor this morning to see if I could get in for a fill this week before we head to California for vacation. I fight the head hunger more than anything and I am finding it very hard to stay on track now that my husband is home. It is sad to say that it was easier when I only had to worry about myself.

Wishing you each success!!

Hi

I'm a bit late to the game I've been reading the blogs and this website and forum have been great for me. I only told 4 people that I had the surgery so it's nice to have a place where people understand!

Surgery April 21st - 10cc band (1st fill 3cc 5/21, 2nd fill 2cc 6/15)

4/13 - Highest 315 lbs

6/21 - 269

I'm still able to eat more than a cup at a time but I'm trying to make better food choices and with commuting to my new job I'm walking and doing a ton of stairs hence a 5 lb weight loss this week (1st week on the job hopefully it will keep coming off).

It's been interesting to read all the posts from the 'bunnies.

Weight - I'm down exactly 30 lbs from the day of my initial consult of 03/19/09. 17 lbs post-surgery. Slow but fairly steady. My weight tends to fluctuate depending on "Aunt Flo's" visits.

Fills - I've had 3 fills to date for a total of 3.7 cc's. Another fill scheduled for Saturday.

Restriction - I have some, and feel I'm pretty close to my sweet spot. Can eat about 9-11 oz of food at each meal. I get hungry after 3 hours, but try and keep good Snacks on hand if I need to quell the hunger.

Rules - I do pretty well during the week. I do not like to follow rules since I feel this is a lifetime of good decisions I have to make. I don't drink with my meals and wait at least an hour after eating. I get plenty of Protein and have found I don't crave or go after the types of foods I would have eaten pre-band.

Anything Else - I'm happy I had the surgery no doubt. I definitely eat healthier (most of the time). I don't keep junk food in the house and even ice cream is no longer something I gravitate towards. I keep homemade trail mix around in case of the munchies (Kashi Go-Lean Cereal, dry roasted peanuts, choc chips and raisins).

I give my best to all my fellow bunny bandsters! :smile2: