Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i got banded 5 days ago and i need advice

ok i thought i wouldnt have an appetite for awhile after surgery but the day after i came home from the hosp i am starving! i am following the sample 1 to 2 week meal plan but im worrying that something is wrong with me. did anyone else have this problem?

thanks!

Today is my 7th day out from surgery...and I was hungry from day one. They claimed I wouldn't be hungry for the first week. I have gone up to 3 shakes a day instead of the 2 they recommended. (I talked with the nurse to make sure it's okay). That has helped some. Start my 2nd week diet tommorrow and have never been so excited for pudding and cream of chicken :lol:

Good luck.

thanks. i didnt hear anything about shakes?

Don't worry - it's the same for most of us. The reality is that other than the recovery from surgery, your band doesn't tend to provide any restriction at all until you've had fills. Some people are lucky, but most of us are in the same position. It's really critical though that you follow your doctor's advice about meal plans, because if you eat the wrong foods too early you can cause complications and issues... So hang on and bear with yourself through 'bandster hell' - it's not fun, and it sucks considering what you thought was going to happen - but it does end. Stay strong and try to distract yourself... Good luck.

I got banded 5 days ago also and i feel awful today. No appetite really and my stomach is really upset. I feel like throwing up. I don't know if i have heartburn or if there is a real problem.

Just follow the diet your doc gives you...I wasn't allowed Protein until week 2, for example, others get it from day 1 post op. And I came to in recovery HUNGRY. Not head hunger...HUNGER. But you just have to hang in there and let your band heal in place etc.

You are both normal every one is different, some people felt like they could eat a horse after surgery and some felt like Water was an effort, me I was a give me the water keep that food away kinda gal. Every one will react differently you should only worry if you cannot keep anything down and really try to follow your doctors post op eating plan to avoid any complications.

I've read where a few people were not told to drink Protein Shakes, just Clear Liquids .... which just blew my mind totally! How else can you take in nutrition that amounts to anything while on a liquid diet? I was told for the liquid stage of post-op to drink 3 Protein shakes per day and after that, I could have as much of anything else on the liquid dietas I wanted. I won't tell you to do that because your doctor may feel differently, but I will say to ask.

It apparently didn't hurt me at all to go 7 days with only Water and broth. I know long term we need a balanced diet but for a short while apparently some surgeons feel that healing, letting the digestive system rest, is more important than nutrition. Of course, we're tested thoroughly before and after.

My first week per my dr's instruction was 1-2 Protein Shakes, clear broth, sf popsicle and Jello. I couldn't get through the hunger without them - the cramping and rumbling stomach was too much too take - plus I was getting dizzy and light headed. I know it will get easier soon and I'm ready for that!

I got banded 5 days ago and feel hundry as well. My stomach growls. I am not sure I even feel full when I eat??

The Isopure premixed Protein Drinks really helped, they were clear, and I just sipped on them in addition to broth and Water during the tough liquid phase after surgery. They seemed to fill me up...though I couldn't be happier once I hit the puree phase...thank god that only lasted a week!!! sugar free popsicles and Jello really helped too!!

I got hungry on Day 4. Then it went away on day 7 when I was allowed to move to mushies. on day 10-11 it came back but now that my doc has said i could move to semi soft like eggs and moist tuna i find that i dont get hungry at all and have to remind myself to eat. I suspect the hungry monster to return in a few days.