Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I need advice!

To make a long story short. I had a date for my surgery then it was moved to November. So my husband and I book a cruise.

Well I got a phone call today from my Dr.s office. He is leaving the practice the end of October. (Hate having some of you find out this way) The only date they can give me is Sept 26th. The cruise is on the 14 of Oct.

Am I nuts? Will I be feeling well enough to go on the cruise. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. This is the only Dr. in Charlotte that does the band.

I'm scared and nervous. I booked it for the 26th. I just wanted to know what you all thought about how I will be feeling almost 3 weeks out going on a cruise.

Thanks,

The cruises I have been on have had alot of food. But it is your choice. You can eat in the dining room or at a buffet where you can make good choices. As far as feeling ok, you will do ok if you don't have any complications. I would think being able to sit in the sun and people taking care of you would work out great. Where are you going? I returned to work in 5 days and was a little tired for a few days. Sounds like a great plan to me.

Lounging by the pool on a cruise sounds like the PERFECT way to recuperate from surgery, to me. I am jealous!

:]

Just make sure you pack some medications that you CAN take incase your not feeling well. I'm sure there will be things you can eat and the kitchen will be more than happy to accomodate you. Call them (the cruise line) just to make sure.

Have a WONDERFUL !!! time :(

Who is your doctor?

Perfect timing. Do it. And go on your cruise. You are fortunate to have it work out so perfectly!! You will be far enough along that you won't be miserable from exhaustion post-surgery and not so far enough along that you won't need and enjoy the relaxation. You won't, however, get your money's worth on the food :( but you will do fine. Cruise ships are very accomodating. I would, for convenience sakes, pack a small blender, just in case.

You got a date!!!!!!!

Hey, what's the scoop on Dr. V?????

You will be feeling wonderful and by that time in control with what you should be doing.Go for it the only down side will be the lovely food they have .However you may be like myself and be over food by now anyway.Alcohol goes down really well..(I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT) AS YOU ARE MENT TO DRINK ONLY NON CALORIE drinks. yer right LOLO.

hAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP AND REMEMBER IT WILL LIKELY BE THE FIRST HOLIDAY THAT YOU COME BACK LIGHTER.

After 3 weeks out I was pretty much feeling back to normal, and it will give you a great time to relax etc. Make sure they will have the foods you can eat etc, whether it be liquids or mushies. Keep your fluids up and you will be fine.

Have a ball!!!!

Sorry to sail against the tide here, but I would disagree.

We all know how absolutley crucial follow-up care is, and I would be very concerned about having a surgeon do the procedure and then step out of the picture. Who will do your follow-up?

I say,take this situation as a sign. Tell Doctor V Thanks but no thanks, and find yourself another surgeon who you will be happy with for the surgery and the aftercare. Even if you have to travel a little, won't it be worth it in the long run?

Find another doc right now, get a consult right AFTER the cruise and then you can sit back, relax and really enjoy the cruise. The cruise can truly be your last hoorah!

You were on hold until November anyway, so timewise you will be no worse off than you were.

Yes, who will do your followup care? The cruise I think is fine. I've been on two and cruise ships are very accomodating when it comes to food. Skip the buffet and stick to the formal dining room -- it's so much nicer, you are pampered rather than feeling like you are eating in a cafeteria. Your waiter will bring you what you need, and they have small serving sizes because the meal is served in multiple courses -- just skip some of the courses.

But the question of what happens when your surgeon leaves the practice is a valid one -- the band is all about follow up care, getting the surgery is only the first step. If he is leaving the practice, is someone taking his place who will also be banding? If not, will the nurses there still continue to provide fills/unfills?

Honestly, you might rather go out of town to a doctor who will be around for awhile -- even if it's a couple hours drive, that stability is important.

go on the cruise and have a good time

like others have said it will be great recovery

I dont know that id have the surgery scheduled then for the only reason being the doctor is leaving town.. and id hate to see anything go wrong and you have to waste the money you spent for the cruise. (i wasnt expecting anything to be wrong... 3 weeks after surgery i could NOT have gone on a cruise)

I would make sure your dr can refer you to another surgeon for a follow up as it is a partnership between you, your band & your surgeon, other than that I would personally take the opportunity for the surgery but would see if I could postpone my holiday, most travel agents are ok if suitable notice is given. just think what happens if your band slips whilst you are away from suitable care, and other complications.

that would be what I would do but follow your heart its your life and your choice.

*hugs*

Suzii