Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Problems with Chicken help!!

As you all know we are told to eat chicken, turkey,fish and hamburger. Well I am 5 weeks out from surgery and for some reason I have problems with chicken or tuna. I had my first fill last week and I didn't know if that was the reason. I don't have any problems with ground beef at all. My Nut. said to stay way from chicken because some banders just can't tolerate it. My question to you is then what do you eat. Chicken has always been a main source of Protein for me. Are there other meats that I can try? I actually have gotten stuck and that was not any fun at all!! I guess this is a learning process and I will just need to find out what works for me. Any helpful suggestion will be appreciated!

Trish

They say fish is a really good Protein to eat. I, however, am really picky and don't like fish. I don't have any problems with chicken, steak, or beef but I do occasionally have trouble with breads or foods with lots of bread on it (thick crust pizza, sandwiches with thick bread, etc.) It's just a trial and error process. You could try a different kind of chicken with maybe some sauce so it isn't so dry and be sure you chew the food extremely well! Good luck!

I just had a chicken incident last night! It was a thigh piece. I think its the type of chicken you eat because I had a previous incident with the same type of chicken. I can eat nuggets or strips no problem ...so far. Cross my fingers....

chicken has been a lifesaver for me since banding. My hubby cooks chicken thighs in the crockpot and it comes out nice and soft and easy to eat. He puts thighs in the crockpot, dumps a jar of salsa on top and cooks it on low all day. You can also try dumping in creamed Soups, or BBQ Sauce as well, but the slow cooking in the crockpot really does the trick.

Hey Trish,

Hope you get some good advice from the LBT. They have always come through for me. Hope you find a common ground for your lunch. Didn't ask you but have you tried chicken salad. Cook the chicken and have FF mayo and Dill chips in it. It is good and soft chicken.....

Good Luck,

Suzanne

I loved chicken but it has been a mean food to me! Although I did get a rotisserie (sp) at Sams and I couldn't help but take a bite and it went down and had NO problem!! I was like oh heck yea so I agree it's the type of chicken I guess although I ate a thigh from another type of chicken and had huge problmes with it! *shruggs shoulders*

chicken sometimes gives me trouble too. Not all of the time, but I have to be super careful and very slow when I eat it.

My nutritionist told me I'd probably never be able to manage steak or pork, and oddly enough, I can eat those without much trouble... MUCH easier than chicken for me.

I'm a picky eater and have never been a big fish fan, but I do like swordfish (has a similar consistency to steak).

One thing I cannot eat is turkey. Absolutely gets stuck, no matter what.

I think it's just trial and error. We all seem to have different reactions to different things.

Any Protein that is dry can cause you a problem. If you're using boneless, skinless chicken breasts they are VERY dry. I've posted this so many times before, but you can put that boneless, skinless breast on a square of foil, put a couple of tablespoons of chicken broth on it, season it, add broccoli and carrots and even a little diced onion, wrap the package up and put it on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes at 350-375. Comes out very moist, tender, with the vegetables ready to eat and clean-up consists of throwing away the foil and wiping off the baking sheet.

You can cook beef this way, too, but use beef broth. I cook fish this way as well but I don't put the vegetables in the package when I cook fish because I don't like my vegetables to taste like fish.

If you cook a chicken breast with the bones and skin, it will also be more moist. Just don't eat the skin.

I also have trouble with chicken and turkey. I find the only way I can eat them is if they are cooked in a rotisserie fashion and cut up real small. I use to love turkey sandwiches and chicken salad but just can't seem to eat them anymore . Another weird thing I can't tolerate is sweet potatoes, gets stuck everytime. As for bread, I can only seem to tolerate pita bread which is on the thin side. I think cooking in the slow cooker is a great idea, and I'm going to try that one myself. Can't understand why I didn't think of that before? Take care and be careful.

Sweet potatoes contain alot of stringy Fiber and that's where the problem lies. Same thing with asparagus.

I can eat crackers (not many) and I can put a few croutons on a salad -- but I can't eat soft bread at all. So at least you can eat pita bread...

Tonight I ate about 2 tablespoons of hummus and a few crackers and that was my supper. I'm stuffed. I had cooked a meatloaf for everybody else but it just wasn't working for me. Oh well.

I have a really hard time with chicken too. I've found that I can eat it if it's Im salad. But only in small bites and alot of dressing. I've tried the crockpot thing and it's been hit or miss. People keep telling me we can eat anything if we chew and take small bites. That's something alot of us are still working on, so maybe it will get better with time.

I have trouble with breaded chicken and the boneless skinless- so I don't eat the breaded anymore, and I brown the chicken breasts in my big ol' teflon pan and then put 2-3 cups of Water and a bunch of Mrs. Dash in the pan.. cover and cook on low for an hour and THEN I can easily eat it! The crock pot would be the same deal.. Has to be super moist!

I have a terrible time with ground beef, though. Hurts every time! We're all different!