Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curiosity Questions

I have not been banded yet hoping for this summer!

Once your clothes are too big do you just get rid of them swearing them out of your life.... I have tended to hoard them over the years ...then grow back into them. I was thinking this time I can move them on out and say good bye!

The other is there any cookbooks that any of you are partial to that have more Protein choices in them that are "do-able". I love to cook.

I am also hoping that once I start losing weight my husband will be so inspire to do it also. He is not THAT over weight... well to look at ;o) but his BMI is high enough that with his sleep apnea he would get approved for the lapband no problem.

How do ya'll deal with the "overweight spouse"???

thanks

As soon as I am comfortably into a smaller size my bigger clothes get sold or donated. I find that if I don't have them I try harder to stay in the smaller size since I have nothing to fall back into. As for the spouse. I love my husband and he is heavy. It is his choice to lose weight, but I am always here to support him. I don't push him or try to make him feel bad because I know how it feels because that's what people would do to me...good luck!

I'm not a hoarder and I'm not sentimental at all, so all my clothes went out the minute they were too big.

I too had a spouse that was overweight, not alarmingly so, but enough that I kind of felt moved to say that I wasnt doing this just so I could be healthy and outlive him by 20 years, if I was going to have great quality of life into old age, then it would be kinda nice if he did too.

He did the "I can lose without the band" thing for 2 years before he took the plunge, lol. It was his decision and basically I left him to make it. I was encouraging towards getting banded if the conversation came up, but I didnt nag him to lose weight.

Now I would LOVE a running partner, but alas, he's a chronic accountant, it aint never gonna happen.

i got rid of my big clothes sooooooooooooo fast....u would've thought they had a disease on them....lol....:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck....enjoy ur small clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have done the same as you and have often had 2-3 sizes in my closet then a stash elsewhere when clothes no longer fit in the closet. But after talking to the psyc dr I decided that was pretty self defeating so this time as I undergrow it it is gone... no more 3 sizes of clothes, it will hold me much more accountable if my clothes suddenly start fitting differently and I have nothing else to go into. I will have to face it and deal with it which for me I think is healthier. I am also going to continue to weigh, I think the last time I lost weight my downfall was those 2 things, having "fat clothes" in the closet and not weighing so I did not have to face how bad it was getting as I climbed up. My surgery is next week but my husband has been eating much healthier since I have started dieting (at least at home) and he says he feels like he can now drop some of the extra weight he has picked up as well. (he needs to lose 40 lbs or so).

Good luck to you.

I have given away all the size 3x as soon as they were too loose. I am now going into 1X and am looking at giving away 2X stuff very soon. I do not intend to ever need those sizes again. This is a permanent deal. And I don't want that stuff hanging in my closet taking up space when soon I will want to have a closet full of smaller, cuter things!

Can't help on cookbooks ... I just experiment.

Overweight spouse? Mine is deceased, gone for a long time. So not a question for me.

As soon as something was too big for me, off it went. I gave them to friends or donated them. I tried to buy things that were flexible, meaning they were a little tight in the waist or had some elastic in them. Buying clothes is a process, much like losing weight. You won't want to wear all black anymore and you will actually decide what you like since you will have lots of options. I had lap band surgery in December 2007. I am 3 pounds from my goal. I used to wear a huge size, I don't know what it was since I wore men's t-shirts and big sweats. Now I can wear size 4 and 6. I am giving away the last of my clothes. I have a complete new wardrobe. Yay! Just keep on the path and have fun shopping.

I have held one to ONE item only, it was the pair of capris size 34W that i wore to my very first lap band apt. Everything else i donated to goodwill once it got to big. I will never get rid of those pants because i love seeing the look of utter SHOCK on peoples faces when i show them what i used to wear!

thanks for your responses thus far!!!! KelinTx... good Idea to hold on to one article for a comparison.. thanks!

I was thinking some more today, I should definately seek counseling before during and after. I am an emotional eater and use my weight as a buffer!

It would be so much easier If my husband will get on the food wagon... and give up so much bread and cheese so it is not in the house LOL or that D#$@ chocolate and ice cream!!!!!

;o)

well i just cleaned my closet out a few days ago and i have 2 shirts and 2 pair of shorts left. and thats because i got them about a month ago.

i have about 7 13 gallon bags full of never going to wear again clothes. my wife stays on me about buying new clothes. i will wear something until i cant wear it no more.

My clothing gets given away the minute it's too big. Always.

There's no reason to hang on to them.

I HIGHLY recommend people to get involved with counseling when you consider any huge life changing event. I think it's a great idea that you are thinking about it.

The words of my therapist ring meaningful and helpful over and over again. And even if you only kind of sort of think therapy is a good idea, it's not going to hurt to give it a shot.

Good luck.

One of the ways of dealing with food you crave that your husband wants in the house is to try and substitute if possible. We keep lemon ices in the freezer because I do not like the flavor. After you are lap banded you might not be able to eat the bread anyway. AS for chocolate....I actually buy chocolate. I am usually able to eat a small portion and if I get out of hand I do not get it for awhile. I also eat chocolate calcium chews and that works for my cravings. They taste good, are good for you and low in calories. They are my bedtime treat. Also dark chocolate is better for you so buy the expensive stuff and maybe less will do. I also like the kettle type popcorn in the 100 calorie packs. Some people have difficulty with popcorn. You will find that out quickly whether you are or not. The popcorn is sweet and filling. Also my other "trick" is to put sugar in my tea. I try to not drink sugared teas but if I am desperate for some sweet, it often satisfies my cravings. I do not use sugar substitutes, only the real stuff. Ultimately, there is a world of food you can't eat on a regular basis if you want to lose the weight. It would help if your husband was able to give up the foods that are difficult for you for awhile but you will have to get beyond that. The lap band is great. As I am sure you read over and over again, it is a tool but I feel like it has been a gift to me and I wish you the best.

My clothing gets given away the minute it's too big. Always.

There's no reason to hang on to them.

I HIGHLY recommend people to get involved with counseling when you consider any huge life changing event. I think it's a great idea that you are thinking about it.

The words of my therapist ring meaningful and helpful over and over again. And even if you only kind of sort of think therapy is a good idea, it's not going to hurt to give it a shot.

Good luck.

i have been thinking about seeing a therapist. just for the resaon of losing some much weight and never doing it before. and i still see myself at the heavy weight i was.

has it helped you out? and what made you start seing one?