Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have seen this term used several times in different threads, but what does it mean??? There is probaby a million threads answering this question but I don't feel like searching... :)

It generally means when you eat your allotted amount of food each meal but because you have no restriction you are really hungry in between meals.

It generally means when you eat your allotted amount of food each meal but because you have no restriction you are really hungry in between meals.

Oh ok, so the hell part lasts until you get your first fill and then heaven kicks in? :)

Bandster hell is the time from when the band is placed and your hunger kicks in until you receive the restriction that reduces that hunger (called the sweet spot). In banster hell your hunger is at pre-band level as well as your ability to eat (but you aren't allowed to eat that much anymore) - thus the term!

Bandster hell is the time from when the band is placed and your hunger kicks in until you receive the restriction that reduces that hunger (called the sweet spot). In banster hell your hunger is at pre-band level as well as your ability to eat (but you aren't allowed to eat that much anymore) - thus the term!

OHHH, so you actually are physically able to eat at pre-band amounts, but your will power is the only thing that stops you from doing it? What would happen if you ate normally until your first restriction, would the unrestricted band and food get along? This is very intersting....

I didn't want to appear dumb and ask this questions but since I relaize I am not the only one who doesn't these things, I will. What does the term PBing mean?

Thanks,

Debbie

Banded: 01/15/09 - 234

Weight: 05/14/09 - 201

Oh, if only your first fill slammed the gate to bandster hell behind you! It's a start, but it is most definitely not your sweet spot. Bandster hell is the period between when you start transitioning from liquids through mushy, through full solids until you reach a decent level of restriction. That could take 4 or 5 fills (or even more). You will be pretty much "bare knuckling" weight loss, but each fill will help you more and more. I'm up to 5.1ccs and I'm NOT at my sweet spot (that's 3 fills and another one coming up on Monday). But I can get by on less food than before and I don't get hungry as fast. Bandster hell is started to pass to the rear view mirror, LOL

PB .. you take a bite that's too big, or don't chew a bite enough regardless of size, or you eat too fast and you get stuck. Only it's worse than any "stuck" you've ever experienced. It won't move. Then you start producing a ton of saliva (sometimes, it's foamy), and then that stuck food comes back up. It's NOT vomiting. It's regurgitation of food that was stuck in your esophagus. You will not vomit up the contents of your stomach and what comes up will not be mixed with stomach acid and partially digested food. It will be that bite, looking like it would have if you had spit it out instead of swallowing it. And when it happens, then you'll remember this description and say to yourself, "that crazy parrotheadcathy didn't do this justice!"

Other terms and abbreviations are explained on the FAQ link .....

To me, bandster hell was the time immediately post op when I was truly STARVING and could only have liquids (the first week I didn't even get Protein shakes) It lasted until I was finally into soft foods. I think hell is what you make it! LOL but we all suffer some post op either as I've described or later on.

And PB means "productive burp" which is a nice term for a painful occurrence. Once restricted if you eat something and are too full or didn't take a small bite or chew well enough, the bite of food just sits at the top of your pouch. If it won't GO DOWN it has to COME UP.

It's not vomiting in the sense that you don't have stomach bile etc but it usually is unpleasant and can hurt a little (think of feeling like you swallowed a golf ball and that feeling doesn't abate readily)

Most of us have this happen occasionally, some do it daily (NOT a good idea...not good for the band) and a rare few avoid it alltogether. It's just one of those things we deal with in order to have the band (and people who don't know think this is the "easy" way! SNORT)

Oh, if only your first fill slammed the gate to bandster hell behind you! It's a start, but it is most definitely not your sweet spot. Bandster hell is the period between when you start transitioning from liquids through mushy, through full solids until you reach a decent level of restriction. That could take 4 or 5 fills (or even more). You will be pretty much "bare knuckling" weight loss, but each fill will help you more and more. I'm up to 5.1ccs and I'm NOT at my sweet spot (that's 3 fills and another one coming up on Monday). But I can get by on less food than before and I don't get hungry as fast. Bandster hell is started to pass to the rear view mirror, LOL

PB .. you take a bite that's too big, or don't chew a bite enough regardless of size, or you eat too fast and you get stuck. Only it's worse than any "stuck" you've ever experienced. It won't move. Then you start producing a ton of saliva (sometimes, it's foamy), and then that stuck food comes back up. It's NOT vomiting. It's regurgitation of food that was stuck in your esophagus. You will not vomit up the contents of your stomach and what comes up will not be mixed with stomach acid and partially digested food. It will be that bite, looking like it would have if you had spit it out instead of swallowing it. And when it happens, then you'll remember this description and say to yourself, "that crazy parrotheadcathy didn't do this justice!"

Other terms and abbreviations are explained on the FAQ link .....

Reading this in TOTAL HORROR!!!! :):)

OHHH, so you actually are physically able to eat at pre-band amounts, but your will power is the only thing that stops you from doing it? What would happen if you ate normally until your first restriction, would the unrestricted band and food get along? This is very intersting....

Yes, there is plenty of testimony on here from people who said they could eat as much as before, once solid food was introduced. Most were shocked by this. So, you are going strictly on willpower to eat the types and amounts of foods you should - which is why it is hell.

I actually didn't eat quite as much as before but that's not saying a lot! :) I mean, going from 4 fried pork chops to 3 isn't a huge difference! I gained weight from the 3rd week post op until just recently when I finally got good restriction...not a LOT of weight but I wasn't losing. I wasn't dieting, either, to be honest. I got the band for that restriction and it took me a long time to get it (my doc is great but I think a little TOO conservative)

Restriction makes it all do-able, though, and while i did GAIN (I mean zounds I lost 42 pounds in 7 weeks), I didn't gain like I would've had I "crash dieted", lost 42 pounds in 7 weeks, then gone back to normal. Even unfilled the band helped keep the gains slow and small...

So just take it one day at a time and do the best you can. The restriction makes it all worth it.

Yes, there is plenty of testimony on here from people who said they could eat as much as before, once solid food was introduced. Most were shocked by this. So, you are going strictly on willpower to eat the types and amounts of foods you should - which is why it is hell.
I actually didn't eat quite as much as before but that's not saying a lot! :) I mean, going from 4 fried pork chops to 3 isn't a huge difference! I gained weight from the 3rd week post op until just recently when I finally got good restriction...not a LOT of weight but I wasn't losing. I wasn't dieting, either, to be honest. I got the band for that restriction and it took me a long time to get it (my doc is great but I think a little TOO conservative)

Restriction makes it all do-able, though, and while i did GAIN (I mean zounds I lost 42 pounds in 7 weeks), I didn't gain like I would've had I "crash dieted", lost 42 pounds in 7 weeks, then gone back to normal. Even unfilled the band helped keep the gains slow and small...

So just take it one day at a time and do the best you can. The restriction makes it all worth it.

WOW! GREAT information. Thanks ladies! I love this site, there is so much to learn and so many people willing to share! :)